Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Beautiful, but good game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian N/A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no doubt it looks beautiful, and the minis are stunning. But has anyone played it and can comment on if it's a good game? Pretend all the minis were wooden meeples, what would you think? It is expensive, and I am hesitant to buy without hearing some playtested reviews. The comment section on this game has devolved into 1's and 10's compleatly breaking the rating system. Makes me sad. So, if you've played, please speak up. Good game, or just great production. Thanks in advance. Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best way to judge is to watch all the videos on the KS page and read the Updates which are also on KS as it gives an insight into gameplay.

Unless I am mistaken, playtesters are forced to sign a NDA so they cant reveal much. Even if they were forced to reveal, opinions differ from person to person.

E.g. I like Santorini and Blood Rage but am not so high on Scythe. And I am interested in Rising Sun. Does that mean you'd have the same opinion on RS if you have the same opinion on the 3 games I mentioned? Its simply too subjective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
My opinion in few words:
The game compares more to 50$ Eurogames than to 80$ American games

Minis are not really necessary and the game is not so deep for a 100$ game despite seems easy, fun and fast paced

I would buy it for 50 but i wouldn t for even 80 (same as BloodRage).

Except that the game has my favourite setting and i need easy games thus deserves my moneys .
If you are not fond of the setting then you might want to skip this.

I will add another point of view.
Art is part of the entertainment...since its a GAME and not some basic necessity, ART is part of the fun and its not Always a good thing to underestimate its importance as long as we are not impermeable to beauty and aesthetic.

The key point is Balance.

In BR and RS case the minis are a little too much but judging the games without them is still not a good thing to do.

P.S. best example is Scythe.
If it wasnt so polished in artwork and production would've never won so many awards and would've just been another random eurogame.
But art, settings etc adds a lot to fun...you feel you are moving mechs you feel yourself immersed in that world and that IS FUN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:
The game compares more to 50$ Eurogames than to 80$ American games.
Minis are not really necessary and the game is not so deep for a 100$ game despite seems easy, fun and fast paced

Well .. for some people, the cost doesn't really matter.
Personally I woudn't mind paying $1,000 for a game - as long as I know it will be my favourite game and I will play it for a long, long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle I love Blood Rage. But I missed the Kickstarter (and I've only backed two so far), and had to pay to get all of the things from it that affect game play--I still don't have all the cardboard marker to plastic sculpts, and probably never will.

I expect this game to be as good or better. So I'd have to be nuts not to back it.

And again, years ago when Midgard, the game that became Blood Rage disappointed me, I got rid of it, so I'm not a blind fan. For what I'm looking for in a game, it costs less and should delivers more than many other designs that are out there.

For me, cost is not a limit as such, but I still like to get value for my money--some games I'll pay higher prices for, and some I won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thephantomhennes wrote:
It is expensive, and I am hesitant to buy without hearing some playtested reviews.

Unfortunately, you probably aren't going to see a lot of reviews before the campaign ends. Others have complained about the quality of the play through video, but I think it does give a pretty good sense of the dynamics of the game.

Ultimately, the reason I backed this game (and have kept my pledge so far) is because I love Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World. This game is different from those, but this designer knows how to create multiplayer games with interesting decisions and good flow.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the KS version of the game comes with a ton of upgraded components and miniatures (currently 103 miniatures, if you count the strongholds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I kickstarted it but I can't say that I am a rabid fan. I thought Blood Rage and The Others were OK games. They are no more or less stellar than the bulk of my games. IMO, Eric Lang's best game is Chaos in the Old World and that was significantly cheaper (at the time) than any of these kickstarter games.

The thing to remember is you are not paying a premium to get a fantastic game. You are paying a premium to get a decent game that has been fully blinged out with miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:
The thing to remember is you are not paying a premium to get a fantastic game. You are paying a premium to get a decent game that has been fully blinged out with miniatures.

Kinda describes Scythe doesnt it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Connolly
United States
Greentown
Indiana
flag msg tools
I won the 1993 GenCon DnD Open
badge
My Game Convention Logo
mbmbmbmbmb
sohszehan wrote:
Melric wrote:

Kinda describes Scythe doesnt it

That's what I felt about Scythe... I enjoy the game, but I haven't played it enough to justify the cost(IMO)...and will probably put it on the Marketplace.

I cancelled my RS pledge and will wait to play it after it's released. If I really like it, I'll pick up a copy then (and pay the extra for the exclusives I missed).

I try to only keep games that I play regularly in my collection and I'm just not convinced that RS will be one of them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W

Georgia
msg tools
Here's another perspective - back it. If you don't like it, which is totally possible, you can sell it on ebay for a nice chunk of change, probably much more than the KS price. Look at all the comments above who talk about waiting and then paying whatever the costs are to then get the rest of the components that you could've gotten for $100 to begin with.

If you don't back it and it ends up being the best game ever, you'll hate yourself for missing out. If you do back it and end up hating it for whatever reason, someone else will buy it at a premium with all the KS exclusive content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:
You are paying a premium to get a decent game that has been fully blinged out with miniatures.

And if you still want the game, it will be available for retail. CMON base games can be found on sale at a much lower price than their pledges plus shipping. *But* make sure you're a gamer who buys base games and not expansions. IRL, I meet gamers who even refuse to buy expansions, but on BGG, it's crawling with completionists. Make sure you know who you are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an aside on the cost: you aren't really buying a game for $100. You're buying the game plus what will probably end up being the equivalent of three or more expansions for $100. So basically you're buying a game bundle for, say, $50 for the core and $17 for each of three expansions.

This is not to say that $100 isn't a significant investment in a game, or that this will be the Best Game EVAR ... just that the price math isn't nearly as extreme as it appears at first glance, assuming that this is the sort of game that you would want to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DinoCrackers wrote:
Here's another perspective - back it. If you don't like it, which is totally possible, you can sell it on ebay for a nice chunk of change, probably much more than the KS price. Look at all the comments above who talk about waiting and then paying whatever the costs are to then get the rest of the components that you could've gotten for $100 to begin with.

If you don't back it and it ends up being the best game ever, you'll hate yourself for missing out. If you do back it and end up hating it for whatever reason, someone else will buy it at a premium with all the KS exclusive content.

Yeah I'm not big into kickstarter because I'd usually rather read reviews or even play a game before I buy it.

BUT this seems to hit a lot of things I love in games and there's no way I'll be paying aftermarket price for exclusive content afterwards. If I don't like the game I figure I can sell it and at least not lose any money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Melric wrote:
You are paying a premium to get a decent game that has been fully blinged out with miniatures.

And if you still want the game, it will be available for retail. CMON base games can be found on sale at a much lower price than their pledges plus shipping. *But* make sure you're a gamer who buys base games and not expansions. IRL, I meet gamers who even refuse to buy expansions, but on BGG, it's crawling with completionists. Make sure you know who you are!

^^^ This. You will probably be able to buy the core game only for $70-75 at an OLGS. If you buy the base game plus expansions once they hit retail, my guess is the total price tag will be about $200, or $150ish at an OLGS -- and that won't include the KS component upgrades and bonus minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this seems to echo a trend I'm seeing in a lot of KS projects lately: lavish artwork and great components, but not a whole lot there in terms of actual game play. Many KS subscribers seem all too willing to plunk down big bucks for stuff that's going to spend most of its life on the shelf after perhaps a single session on the table based solely on how the product "looks" (and not how it plays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Yeah, this seems to echo a trend I'm seeing in a lot of KS projects lately: lavish artwork and great components, but not a whole lot there in terms of actual game play. Many KS subscribers seem all too willing to plunk down big bucks for stuff that's going to spend most of its life on the shelf after perhaps a single session on the table based solely on how the product "looks" (and not how it plays).

This is indeed the danger of beautiful games full of miniatures. No guarantee it's indeed fun too play - while at the same time you make a big investment.

Doesn't mean it can't turn out to be fine. Blood Rage was quite good, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:

But if the game is great and you did miss the KS, it's a pretty big difference in $$. And for the time being (who knows about in a year) you can sell a used KS game for a decent amount. I consider KS stuff a relatively low risk right now, backing a lot of things does amount to a large chunk of change sitting around in the void.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N/A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Many replies. Thanks guys. I enjoyed reading all the thoughts. Although I am still undecided, I have lots to think about. And still a bit of time until project ends on KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm it has little plastic people? Of course it's as good as the other 1,000,000 games with little plastic people. I'm sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Grimm
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
VonDodo wrote:
The game compares more to 50$ Eurogames than to 80$ American games.

Well .. for some people, the cost doesn't really matter.
Personally I woudn't mind paying $1,000 for a game - as long as I know it will be my favourite game and I will play it for a long, long time!

So, Kingdom Death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AzureLion wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

So, Kingdom Death.

Nope. I had it a few years ago - but I sold it as it was way too complex for my wife and most of my friends.
Luckily there was a enough demand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I thought The Others was an amazingly beautiful and artistic game. Quite expensive.
Was fun for 3 games then I got very bored, never played again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool For me, this will be the first time I've backed a 'massive' Kickstarter. I'll take a look at the rules soon of course, but at this point I trust Mr. Lang, having enjoyed the heck out of Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.