Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Keller
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ran across, Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters (2016 English edition. It was also the 2014 Kinderspiel des Jahres Winner). I noticed it was also re-implemented in 2016 as, Ghostbusters Protect the Barrier. It's the same game but ten dollars cheaper, and only Amazon seems to carry it.

$19.99 Amazon (3rd party fulfilled by Amazon, 46 available)

$29.99 Amazon
$29.99 Target
$34.97 Walmart

YouTube
Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game Review - with Tom Vasel
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters! Review - with Tom Vasel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just discovered this game was branded with the 2016 version. Makes sense as the movie had just come out and they wanted the merch tie-in.

It's a shame that I have to write this disclaimer, but the well is so poisoned now that I must: I didn't like the Ghostbusters 2016 movie because it was crap--there doesn't have to be some ulterior motive--it was crap.

Now I see a dilemma with a property that I love and an excellent board game with a real chance at intelligent use of cross-over and re-theming (rather than say, Ghostopoly) that I would like to buy and show support for such things. But, again, well=poisoned. I can't justify even .10 of merch revenue to Sony after I was shamed and insulted by them for not liking a crap movie. If they'd just let it be a crappy reboot that flopped and everyone could forget (like Robocop, Total Recall, and Fright Night), this wouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
So, I just discovered this game was branded with the 2016 version. Makes sense as the movie had just come out and they wanted the merch tie-in.

It's a shame that I have to write this disclaimer, but the well is so poisoned now that I must: I didn't like the Ghostbusters 2016 movie because it was crap--there doesn't have to be some ulterior motive--it was crap.

Now I see a dilemma with a property that I love and an excellent board game with a real chance at intelligent use of cross-over and re-theming (rather than say, Ghostopoly) that I would like to buy and show support for such things. But, again, well=poisoned. I can't justify even .10 of merch revenue to Sony after I was shamed and insulted by them for not liking a crap movie. If they'd just let it be a crappy reboot that flopped and everyone could forget (like Robocop, Total Recall, and Fright Night), this wouldn't be a problem.

All righty then... why not tell us how you really feel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Prime(for me anyhow, hopefully for you guys as well) the Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters has a "click here for $5 off coupon" button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents:

Although my biases were not affected emotionally by the holly-wood reboot I will say that this game is fine for kids or with kids but the components are mass-market-cheap and I wouldn't pay more than $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently own both versions. Everything in the Ghostbusters edition is about 1/4 to 1/3 smaller. The box is super thin and will be easily ruined. It's a typical mass market game. It s a fine version if you're okay with the lack of quality, but I think it's overpriced at $20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Longholes

Providence
Rhode Island
msg tools
badge
This reskinned version was $10 when i bought it from amazon 8 months ago, while the original was out of print.

It is a fun co op game, if i had to buy it today i probably would still save the 33%. The box is awkward but the components inside do not feel cheap to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
yeahbowen wrote:
On Prime(for me anyhow, hopefully for you guys as well) the Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters has a "click here for $5 off coupon" button.

I also had this coupon available (and I went ahead and ordered the game last night, though I was far too tired to post here about it).

So basically, for $5 more you can get a much superior version of the game (excepting tax possibly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.