Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Anachrony» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Playing on the A-side = BLUE always wins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Keppens
Belgium
Meldert (Aalst)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Anachrony 3 times so far (all with the A-side boards). Everytime was a 3-player game and everytime I had 2 different opponents. And everytime the BLUE player has won the game (and that was always an other player, never myself) and without pointing out something, they all sort or less followed the same 'natural' strategy: they chose as a leader Samira (you get for free one of the remaining resources and can even have the other one also if you pay 2 water). As blue starts with 3 engineers, they get tons of resources and can built buildings a lot easier then the other players = have more flexibility.
In the mean while, they hoard their grey cubes and focus on getting engineers and as soon the impact has passed they cash in a lot of VP.

My feeling is that the blue players 'engine' already turns at 100% in era I, while the other players more have to struggle to get theirs started. And in a game with possibly only 5 era's (as blue has off course a bigger interest in finishing the game sooner), that seems like a too big advantage.

As others experienced this as well?

I hope the B-sides of the board will eliminate this, but Samira seems imho to be by far the best leader of the pack, so I'm not sure if this will help?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, none of that is true, I'm just a better player
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked, and I did win by a margin of 20%, so maybe something is up. Hard to say after only 1 play
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played four games so far. Three times with the A-sides, and two of those games with the Path of Dominance, and only one of those games with Treasure Hunter Samira. They did not win the game, but that doesn't say much

Pozman wrote:
My feeling is that the blue players 'engine' already turns at 100% in era I, while the other players more have to struggle to get theirs started.

I find that strange. An engine usually involves several buildings, and in a three-player game, only four buildings can be built during the first era. It seems unlikely that the other players will allow the Path of Dominance to get enough to build an engine (not to mention the fact that there also need to be buildings available that form an engine together).

The advantages you name don't all kick in during the first era. The resources from Samira will not be available until the second era, and when you use an engineer to gather resources in the first era, the advantage is that he is active at the start of the second era. So, that doesn't give the Path of Domination a great advantage in the first era.

I do think that Samira is a rather straightforward leader to use, and that constructing buildings is one of the more straightforward things to do in the game (compared to superprojects and time travel, for example). So, I do hope that it turns out balanced after we've learned how to use the other leaders and follow the other strategies.

That said, there is more discussion on these forums about the leaders of the Path of Dominance, so you are not the only one with some worries.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Keppens
Belgium
Meldert (Aalst)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:

Pozman wrote:
My feeling is that the blue players 'engine' already turns at 100% in era I, while the other players more have to struggle to get theirs started.

I find that strange. An engine usually involves several buildings, and in a three-player game, only four buildings can be built during the first era. It seems unlikely that the other players will allow the Path of Dominance to get enough to build an engine (not to mention the fact that there also need to be buildings available that form an engine together).


Maybe I should rephrase that as 'blue seems to have already he/she needs at the start of the game'. For construct and mining you prefer to do it with an engineer. And as blue starts with 3 active engineers, he/she already is comfortable in that zone and for instance doesn't have to invest directly in getting extra workers.

It's just a feeling. I hope I'm terribly wrong and that blue is simply easier if you're new to the game, as I really like what's going on in this game a lot!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I played 2 times, 4 players and Blue always loose... So... I don't think there is a problem with it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pozman wrote:
Maybe I should rephrase that as 'blue seems to have already he/she needs at the start of the game'. For construct and mining you prefer to do it with an engineer. And as blue starts with 3 active engineers, he/she already is comfortable in that zone and for instance doesn't have to invest directly in getting extra workers.

Path of Dominance starts with two active engineers, which is the same number as the Path of Harmony, so at least, those two should be matched.

With the other paths, if you save your engineer(s) for construction, and go mine with one of the other characters, you'll have some disadvantage. But I do wonder how bad it is. Sometimes, that one active worker makes all the difference. Sometimes, it just means that when you retrieve workers, you'll get back one less, because he was still active.

The Path of Progress starts out without engineers, and has a focus on superprojects, which makes them more difficult to play during your first games, I think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
Sometimes, it just means that when you retrieve workers, you'll get back one less, because he was still active.


I'm not sure what you mean here. Motivated workers are also returned, but go in the Active column instead of the Tired column.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Purple wrote:
Sometimes, it just means that when you retrieve workers, you'll get back one less, because he was still active.


I'm not sure what you mean here. Motivated workers are also returned, but go in the Active column instead of the Tired column.

Sorry, I used a sloppy wording there. I meant: "Sometimes, it just means that when you Supply or Force Workers, you'll move one less worker to the active column, because he was already."

Edit: I'll elaborate with an example. Suppose I end a round with one inactive worker, two active workers, and four workers on the board.

If no workers are kept motivated, then those four workers will return to the tired column (and then, there are five workers on the inactive row). Next round, I'll probably use one active worker to perform one action, then use my second active worker to supply, moving the other five workers to the active column.

If one of the workers is kept motivated, then three workers will return to the tired column, and that one worker will return to the active column. Next round, I'll probably use two active workers to perform two actions, then use my third active worker to supply, moving the other four workers to the active column.

In both cases, I have seven workers to use during the course of the round (plus any that I recruit). So, the one worker that remained active didn't contribute in terms of available workforce. The main difference is the order of the actions. Sometimes, it is very useful that you can do more actions before supplying. Sometimes, it doesn't really matter that much - because you need to make those actions on your own board, for example.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My last two games (out of 3) have been with Samira and I have won. In the last game I got early building that allowed me to generate grey cubes and recruit engineers so got over 20 points from my evacuation action
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played A side last night and blue with captain Wolfe finished third in a four player game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jabah wrote:
Played A side last night and blue with captain Wolfe finished third in a four player game.


I've played 3 games, all A sides. Won all three times. Haven't played blue yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played once on A sides, and Blue finished 4th using Captain Wolfe. Small sample size of course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blues hasn't won yet in the couple of games we've played. Wins have been shared between the paths who can place two exo suits on a turn or place an exo suit without a worker.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.

Harmony Haulani can use a free action to do a PLAYER board action in addition to a regular action

OR

Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.

Harmony Haulani can use a free action to do a PLAYER board action in addition to a regular action

OR

Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


Cheers, had the second part right but did think the first was overpowered. Clearly another rule read is required now there's a few games under the belt!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.

Harmony Haulani can use a free action to do a PLAYER board action in addition to a regular action

OR

Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


As a free action can use a powered up exosuit without a worker as a scientist. If this is a free action, why cant I place this exosuit and then another one as my regular action?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenokojon wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.

Harmony Haulani can use a free action to do a PLAYER board action in addition to a regular action

OR

Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


As a free action can use a powered up exosuit without a worker as a scientist. If this is a free action, why cant I place this exosuit and then another one as my regular action?


If the power says you simply play a exo suit without a worker then why would you get a free second action? The power says nothing about that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
Takenokojon wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.

Harmony Haulani can use a free action to do a PLAYER board action in addition to a regular action

OR

Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


As a free action can use a powered up exosuit without a worker as a scientist. If this is a free action, why cant I place this exosuit and then another one as my regular action?


If the power says you simply play a exo suit without a worker then why would you get a free second action? The power says nothing about that...


If the power was written as described above, I think it would be reasonable to conclude that the free action comprises the whole of it, so you could place the exosuit without a worker and then place another as your non-free action of that turn.

But of course, it isn't actually worded that way. What it actually says is when an exosuit is placed, you may choose not to use a worker. Obviously, this is once per round.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apostolos Skoteiniotis
Greece
ATHENS-KOLONOS
flag msg tools
badge
Contest Addict
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After two plays with Domination (B side-Samira) and having won by a margin of 12-15 points in both, I believe that the fact that domination can supply workers as a free action and that they can start building faster than anyone else, gives them a great headstart compared to the others (along with the free materials Samira gathers). From there it all depends on how the other players manage their vp gaining throughout the game and what spots they leave open for you. In my opinion Domination and Harmony are more flexible and new players can score better with those factions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.
[...]
Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


Translated german rules wrote:
As a free action you can use an exosuit without a worker. The action is executed as a scientist.
There is no mention that this would be your only exosuit this turn nor that you can place a worker in it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.
[...]
Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


Translated german rules wrote:
As a free action you can use an exosuit without a worker. The action is executed as a scientist.
There is no mention that this would be your only exosuit this turn nor that you can place a worker in it.


We'll clarify it in the next print run or something.

That ability is definitely NOT meant to give you a free exosuit action. There is a superproject that does that.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWVLIW, in our games green always wins.

Not desperately significant, as we've only played twice so far.

And I don't think that the faction's powers had much to do with it. Probably more to do with the fact that I always play green
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
txnull wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
There isn't one that can place two exosuits on a turn.
[...]
Progress Male as a free action, can use an already powered-up exosuit without a worker in it as a scientist


Translated german rules wrote:
As a free action you can use an exosuit without a worker. The action is executed as a scientist.
There is no mention that this would be your only exosuit this turn nor that you can place a worker in it.


We'll clarify it in the next print run or something.

That ability is definitely NOT meant to give you a free exosuit action. There is a superproject that does that.


The wording hardly comes across as giving a free exosuit. Some people fail to understand that you simply read the text. Why gamers try and make things difficult always surprises me...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't come across as a free exosuit, but it absolutely does come across as playing two exosuits on a turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.