14 Posts

Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doubt about discarding building's cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pier Desuna
Mexico
flag msg tools
At the moment you start a building you can discard cards in order to finish the construction we got this polemic.

A friend says you can discard one card per round, but it doesnt matter when you do it, at the start of the round or in the end, even if its not your turn yet. I think you have to discard only when its your turn. The rules are not specific about this. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Braga
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I believe you have to place the build time cards on the building then wait until the next round before you begin removing them. You remove one each round for free then you can remove extra cards off the building by discarding tribe members (correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's one card removed off building per tribe member discarded, not one per card discarded; I.e, tribe family=3-5 people so that many build timer cards would be taken off by discarding that one card) or toolkits (remove 2 cards with toolkit) in your hand. That's how I understand the rules, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook (page 16 of the combined rulebook) says:

"7) At the start of the player’s next round, remove 1 card from each building that is under construction
8) Starting with the round following the initial building placement, additional tribe members (and toolkits) may be played from the player’s hand to accelerate construction on one or more buildings. Each tribe member played can remove 1 card from a building that is under construction. If wielding a toolkit, then 2 additional cards may be removed. Tribe members
that work on construction projects may not take any other actions that round and are immediately discarded.
9) Once a building has zero cards stacked on it, it is complete and immediately goes into effect."

Wes is correct in their analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

"7) At the start of the player’s next round, remove 1 card from each building that is under construction
8) Starting with the round following the initial building placement, additional tribe members (and toolkits) may be played from the player’s hand to accelerate construction on one or more buildings. Each tribe member played can remove 1 card from a building that is under construction. If wielding a toolkit, then 2 additional cards may be removed. Tribe members
that work on construction projects may not take any other actions that round and are immediately discarded.
9) Once a building has zero cards stacked on it, it is complete and immediately goes into effect."

Are you sure? So discarding a Thug, which is 3 tribe members, removes 3 cards from under the building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Braga
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
DiploGuy wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

Are you sure? So discarding a Thug, which is 3 tribe members, removes 3 cards from under the building?

That's how I interpret the rules, since they specifically say each "Tribe Member" and not "card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

That's the way I read it. My last post was copied directly from the rulebook, so interpret it as you will. If that seems OP, remember that you're giving up a significant chance in the brawl that turn to discard 3 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this post and thought it worked the other way (1 CARD discarded = 1 card off of building timer), so went searching for other posts - turns out it's been discussed before and the designer has said that it is per card as above and not per # of tribe members listed on the card.

That having been said, I do wish that it were based on # of tribe members on the card cuz I would really love those speedy buildings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pier Desuna
Mexico
flag msg tools
Secretgeek2016 wrote:
I believe you have to place the build time cards on the building then wait until the next round before you begin removing them. You remove one each round for free then you can remove extra cards off the building by discarding tribe members (correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's one card removed off building per tribe member discarded, not one per card discarded; I.e, tribe family=3-5 people so that many build timer cards would be taken off by discarding that one card) or toolkits (remove 2 cards with toolkit) in your hand. That's how I understand the rules, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no doubt about that. I have always played it like this: 1 card played = 1 card discarded, not by # of tribe member.

My doubt is about timing: can you discard your "free-per-turn" card even when it's not your turn? Even if your turn has passed? You might think it doesn't, but it does affect gameplay either if you choose to discard in your turn or out of it.

I hope I've been clear enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomiz3 wrote:
Secretgeek2016 wrote:

I have no doubt about that. I have always played it like this: 1 card played = 1 card discarded, not by # of tribe member.

My doubt is about timing: can you discard your "free-per-turn" card even when it's not your turn? Even if your turn has passed? You might think it doesn't, but it does affect gameplay either if you choose to discard in your turn or out of it.

No - at the end of your turn you commit all your remaining cards to the rumble, so you can't then discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Randomiz3 wrote:
Secretgeek2016 wrote:

No - at the end of your turn you commit all your remaining cards to the rumble, so you can't then discard.

I think he's asking what if you're the last to act, can the discard for building happen prior to your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

I think he's asking what if you're the last to act, can the discard for building happen prior to your turn.

My read of the rules is that you cannot. The rule regarding playing buildings is this:

"8) Starting with the round following the initial building placement, additional tribe members (and toolkits) may be played from the player’s hand to accelerate construction on one building. Each tribe member played can remove 1 card from a building that is under construction. If wielding a toolkit, then 2 additional cards may be removed. Tribe members that work on construction projects may not take any other actions that round and are
immediately discarded. "

So in other words, you don't "discard" tribe members to construct buildings. You "play" them during your resource gathering phase, using them to construct the building and for no other purposes during your turn. After you "play" them to speed up construction, you discard them (along with tools they used).

I don't see any interpretation of these rules that would allow you to do this at any time other than during the resource gathering phase of your own turn.

The rules earlier make explicit exceptions for a couple cards (like sniper) that can be played outside your own turn, but otherwise I don't think you can do so. That said, there aren't any timing sequences, as far as I can see, that prevent you from using a building the same turn you complete it. So if you completed a building as your first action during the resource gathering phase, it could (in case of the hydroponic garden) contribute to later actions, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
jonjbeats wrote:
I saw this post and thought it worked the other way (1 CARD discarded = 1 card off of building timer), so went searching for other posts - turns out it's been discussed before and the designer has said that it is per card as above and not per # of tribe members listed on the card.

That having been said, I do wish that it were based on # of tribe members on the card cuz I would really love those speedy buildings!

Given this, is it even worth spending the time and resources to construct buildings? They seem to take too long and do too little, too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
jonjbeats wrote:

Given this, is it even worth spending the time and resources to construct buildings? They seem to take too long and do too little, too late.

I have found them useful, and if you're playing with the bonus that pays off for "most buildings" that helps too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
jonjbeats wrote:

It is a long commitment to getting them up and running and then using their ability. It can be a worthwhile pursuit though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.