Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Why the drop in ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Meleti
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
When this came first came out it was in the mid 8s, it has now below in average rating to the high 7's. Why the drop and what has caused the drop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
_lo-ol_
mbmbmb
I would say Hype vs. Reality/Experience.

I own this game, I think it's great (haven't rated it yet, though).
Only played a few times, and as I normally play for fun, it's more the social side of boardgaming that I look for, than to "extensively optimize the details of strategies and find out exactly how to win against my friends/co-players considering the different factions types of play" (breathe now...)

Basically from what I have seen in the forums here it looks like there is some unbalancing between the factions, which makes that after some plays, more experienced players can conmtrol the game end. SO, this could be one reason... But I'm pretty sure that it happens with games on Hype, the highest the Hype the longest the fall...

Also, boardgaming environment is getting quite competitive (between games, not only players), so I think it is just harder now to get a 8 or 9 game rating because of so many options available. Could it be that if Cry Havoc was set in another world like Star Wars or something else, it would have better rating... just thinking...

Sorry if this seems a bit confusing, but I was just writting following thoughts as they appeared...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulido
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
This is good to see as I planned on buying this game today. CSI has it on sale for $37.99, which is the lowest I have seen it. I might just try and play it before I buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a few things.

1. The Vasel review and GenCon excitement created intense hype. It's tough to meet those expectations.

2. The rules and card text were not as good as they could have been, which frustrates some people. We've tried hard to provide rules videos, guides, and assistance to help, but it's not for everyone.

3. The game takes a few rounds, or games, to learn, which doesn't always go well. Many gamers play a game once and never come back, super eager to see the next thing. You'll see many people play once, only try one Skill, or not fully understand how Structures work (and there's a lot to take in), then go "meh" and move on.

4. Maybe people think it's worth the rating they gave it? In the end, if they think it's a 5, or a 10, or a 7, you have to accept it!

The game has sold well, and the response is still generally very good. It's by far my best selling design and I'm sincerely glad so many people have enjoyed it.

Ratings are tough, and there are times when Cry Havoc is an unforgiving, brutal, Trog mistress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It still has a very high rating, and you should not consider anything in the high 7s bad at all. In fact, most of the top 100 is high 7s and low 8s, with many having lower average ratings (and many more votes) than Cry Havoc.

Typically games have very high ratings before wide release as most of the ratings are from people hyped about the game or play-testers. The 7th Continent, for example has an 8.1 rating, but it isn't even finished yet.

This can also be just true of games with fewer ratings. Kingdom Death: Monster has a rating of 9.0, but it is mostly limited to original backers and again many people hyped for the reprint.

So in general, you shouldn't pay much attention to the ratings, and if you do, there isn't much value in the average if the number of votes is low (<5k).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and one other thing. The game is rated just above 300 in a database with over 80,000 games. I'll take that dip in ratings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilbur
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CornHazard wrote:
This is good to see as I planned on buying this game today. CSI has it on sale for $37.99, which is the lowest I have seen it. I might just try and play it before I buy it.

I tried the game for the first time just a few days before CSI's sale of Cry Havoc and it was a no brainer for me. The game was very fun, tight, strategic. And for $42 (including shipping) I couldn't resist. There's a lot of game in there for that price, and if I get bored of the game or it doesn't hit the table enough I can always trade it in a math trade for a game worth more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules could be more clear and it immediately needed some errata, makes it harder for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Porter
msg tools
designer
mb
Jetfire wrote:
The rules could be more clear and it immediately needed some errata, makes it harder for new players.

That made it difficult for my group to get into it and, admittedly, tough for me to learn.

I've discussed this elsewhere, but I feel like it's a mix of other *relatively* similar games being easier to teach/more accessible (Blood Rage), with slicker components (Scythe), or something as simple as taste in thematic presentation (E.G.: most of my friends prefer fantasy/mythology settings to scifi so Inis, Blood Rage, etc just feel more natural to them).

I absolutely LOVE Cry Havoc, but it's a game that requires a few run-throughs to get to know it and, as Grant said, that's too high a hurdle for a lot of people. I still try and bring to table whenever I can and if you see it for $37, snap it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shocked the game hasn't shot up faster. I know a few people who are frustrated at not being able to find a copy easily. I love the game and would play this every night for a year if I could find willing participants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.