10 Posts

Gin Rummy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring with Gin Rummy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
In 2 player Gin rummy, do both players gain their calculated total at the end of one hand, or in fact does the winner alone gain any points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the winner scores either by having a gin or by successfully knocking. If you knock and your hand total is higher than your opponents, then your opponent scores 25 points plus how many points left in your hand. If you knock and your hand is less than your opponents, then your score is how many points less your hand is than your opponents hand. If by playing cards off against your knocked cards your opponent undercuts you (has a card total in their hand less than yours), then your opponent scores 25 points plus whatever is left in your hand. If you gin, it's 25 points plus whatever your opponent has left in their hand. If you gin without having to discard (big gin), you score 30 points plus whatever your opponent has left in their hand. If neither player gins or successfully knocks and the draw deck is exhausted, then it's a draw. Neither player scores any points and you re-shuffle all the cards and play another round.

Gin Rummy is a fun card game with plenty of luck but with several strategies to mitigate luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-Are these rules here for scoring terribly official, or in fact not?

They don't compare very much to the wikipedia ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_rummy

-Do awarded points only arise as a result of deadwood points,
and never as a result of melded points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Points are only awarded for what's left in your hand when your opponent knocks with less points in their hand(your pts. - opponents pts.=opponents score)unless you are able to play off your hand cards against your opponent's melds such that your hand cards are then equal to or less than your opponent's hand cards. In that case you would score 25 points plus what your opponent is still holding in their hand (same rule as a gin). This also applies if your opponent knocks with more points in their hand than you. Your opponent, however, when they knock, cannot play their hand cards against your melds. I read the Wiki thread and it does basically say the same thing, however, I did neglect to mention the rule that you can only knock with 10 or fewer points in your hand. Sorry bout that.

My opinion and maybe your's, knocking well is how to win at GR. Getting a gin is great but when I play players who are are holding out for a gin, mostly they lose. The probability is higher for a successful knock, but I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-In yes or no terms, does a player that knocks and goes out ever have points from their meld cards included in their score?

I'm lost on this particular point.

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I get what your asking. No, the meld cards have no bearing on scoring except that if you are knocking, your opponent may play cards against your melds to reduce the deadwood in his/her hand in an effort to get the deadwood points in their hand equal to or less deadwood points than your hand to undercut you. Short answer, points in melds are a not part of scoring tallies.

Gin = 25 pts. + opponents deadwood
Big Gin = 30 pts. + opponents deadwood
Successful Knock = your opponents deadwood - your deadwood
Unsuccessful Knock = 25 pts. to your opponent + your deadwood

Only deadwood cards matter in scoring and not meld cards. Or look at it this way. 10 cards melded equals 25 pts.(gin) and 11 cards melded (big gin) equals 30 pts. plus your opponents deadwood. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is what I thought. Thankyou for the confirm!

Whereabouts have you obtain your rules, and this scoring knowledge, from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't recall as I've been playing for years. I play a lot of online GR presently. The online makes you play by the correct rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, checked out other games you own and saw Vivarium. I don't know that one but if you like that theme of game I might suggest Dominant Species and Evolution. DS will make your brain hurt (but I enjoy that) and Evolution less so, but it too is a card driven game of species evolving new abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B H
msg tools
Zachary1234 wrote:
This is what I thought. Thankyou for the confirm!

Whereabouts have you obtain your rules, and this scoring knowledge, from?

For people who find this later, Pagat is a good source of game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.