Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys

My good wife has 'green lighted' me to get 2 or 3 new games for my birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm struggling to find something that really grabs me...

Looking for something that plays in an hour, has explosive fun moments, I am a sucker for components, family orientated and gatewayish.

Would rather steer clear of D&D and space orientated stuff as wife struggles with those themes although we do love Cosmic Encounter and Mission Red planet and one of my purchases will definitely be Galaxy Trucker. Fantasy and space stuff is fine as long as it's lighthearted something in the line of Clank, Space Cadets maybe.

We love King of Tokyo, Survive, Tobago, Diamant, Sheriff of Nottingham, Dixit, Resistance when playing with my 12 and 19 sons and friends. We just got Lords of Vegas last month and wow that has gone down an absolute blast with everyone.

Other faves are Catan, 7 wonders, Stone Age, Shadows over Camelot, Resistance, Camel Up, I'm the Boss.

My wife and I absolutely love Castles of Burgundy and Bruges when it's just us.

I play quite a bit of Memoir with one of my sons so ended up getting Fog of War and whilst we liked it it's far to heavy going for us and I doubt it will hit the table again.

As I said I'm pretty certain Galaxy Trucker will be a purchase, because it looks like the sort of thing we will enjoy and different to anything in my collection.

So looking for something 'fun', not too heavy (but if it's good that's fine if its heavy and long), good theme/components.

Games we should have liked and really wanted to but for some reason didn't are, Escape the curse of the temple (too chaotic) Splendor (dull as ditch water), Arctic Scavengers (just boring),Last night on earth/Jamaica (still don't know why for these two),

Short list at the mo consists of:

Galaxy Trucker (almost certain on this)
Blood Rage (was about to go with this until a saw Shut up & Sit Down review'
Inis (mmmm....??)
Targi ( almost certain on this)
Jaipur (again almost certain on this but then keep looking at Jambo)
Karuba (maybe but might be a bit too solitaire for our house)
Adventures in the temple of Chac (Been trying to get a copy of as this looks great but rare)
Space Cadets (Vasel loved it but others don't)
Clank (was almost certain on this till I saw ridiculous price)

So come on guys let me have your suggestions please on whats going to shove Lords of Vegas off the table!

Cheers
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Sonar is a great game for 4+ players.
Firefly: The Game for crew and ship building to be the best trader.
Mag·Blast (Third Edition)
Perhaps Space Alert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep Captain Sonar is firmly on my radar (or sonar ). Was thinking thou this wouldn't be that good unless with 8 player and so I thought that would be a good one for Christmas list.

But if you say 4 is good this just got bumped

Will check out Mag Blast now. Not heard of this before.

Space cadets, yes I looked at this, but looked way too fiddly/rule heavy and I have been burnt with Escape the curse of the temple which was fun at first but found it too chaotic and it soon paled.

Will take another look though so thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend Targi. It's fun and a clever game but it's out of print in English. I bought a German version for a great price and used paste ups to make sense of the tribe cards.

Gets a reprint next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barmybee wrote:
Highly recommend Targi. It's fun and a clever game but it's out of print in English. I bought a German version for a great price and used paste ups to make sense of the tribe cards.

Gets a reprint next year.

Yep Targi will be a defo I reckon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert is rules heavy, that is right. It is difficult to learn but after that not as difficult to play. It is nevertheless a challenge.

Captain Sonar is best with 8 players and becomes more challenging and less partyfunny with 4-6 players. But you can play it well with 4+.

Keep an eye on Firefly for it is a very good game of trading, racing, and building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortifikator wrote:
Firefly: The Game for crew and ship building to be the best trader.

Firefly is a great game, but play time is usually 2+ hours for my wife and me. The first few times we played it was more like 3 or 4 hours, mostly because we didn't know the best strategies. It's a good game by itself, but if you like the series then the game is a blast.

And if you like Memoir then maybe Heroes of Normandie might work for you. It's one of my current favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also had my eye on Warfighter, but I haven't bought it yet. It's a co-op card-based war game. There's also a WW-II variant, and a ton of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like lighter games that I can play with the family. If nothing else, they flow much better. I enjoy heavier games too but I seem to have my nose in the manual rather than playing the game.

Some games that have gone over really well with my family, that take about an hour and have a lot of components include:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig, but get an organizer to save setup time. I think this may be the #1 game in our family at the moment. I also recommend the expansion: Castles of Mad King Ludwig: Secrets

Takenoko. It is a great looking game, lots of little bits, several different mechanics, and fun.

Carcassonne is always good. It is light enough to bring out for guests but can also become very strategic if you play with 2.

If you liked Dixit, maybe try Mysterium.

If you are interested in Galaxy Trucker, you may want to try the app. It is a lot cheaper than the game and it might be sufficient for you and allow you get it AND your 2-3 other games. Or you might find that you don't like it and you could save your money.

Another game that did not go over as well but you might have better luck with is Five Tribes. My wife is afraid she will make the wrong move and gets AP. If you don't overthink your move, it can be really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like worker placement games like Stone Age, then I would recommend Viticulture or Lewis & Clark. These are my 2 favorite games right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Dixit and Resistance, you should consider Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and maybe Codenames: Pictures.

But, I want to heartily +1 the Viticulture Essential Edition recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys some really good suggestions there.

Quite a few are already on my short list but to be honest (and not disrespectful to the suggestion here as they are more than welcome)nothing new jumping out at me

Galaxy Trucker (going to get)

Targi (going to get)

Captain Sonar (will prob get)

Heroes of Normandie - looked at this before and it looks up my street but can't remember what put me off, it was something and I have Memoir and Fog of War so....

Firefly - only had a quick look at this so far but I don't really like movie/tv tie ins, its 2+ hours, space theme so not biting to begin with but I will check it out further as Jeff took the time to recommend it.

Warfighter- again not properly checked out yet but it says best with 1, looks like a card draft/Arctic scavengers which we hate. Will check it out properly though but not jumping out at me.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig - I keep seeing this pop up and will probably get it. I think at one point I was weighing this up with Suburbia, and ended up laughing both off. Will look again at this as thanks.

Takenoko - same as above

Carcassonne - already have it

Murder in Hong Kong - this is a great shout thanks and will pick up at some point but only just got Resistance and Spyfall (which I've yet to play) at Christmas so....

Viticulture - Weird, I had just watched Tom Vasels review of this which prompted me to write this post in the first place lol! Looks like a fab worker placement, but....having played lots of Stone Age and Kingsburg lately I was looking for that Ameritrash, explosive fun style of game like Lords of Vegas, lots of yelling, whooping moments which I don't think I will get in a worker placement. Although I know I will end up with this game at some point thanks

Thanks again for your suggestions guys, all good shouts but still waiting for 'the one' lol, so keep em coming

Cheers
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slight side note, but since you mentioned it, I do personally find Jambo to be clearly superior to Jaipur. Jaipur is a fine game, but Jambo has more variety and depth, and I find it more thematic as well. Jambo is harder to come by these days, but if I had the equal choice between the two Jambo would win out (as evidenced by my ownership, I suppose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain N wrote:
A slight side note, but since you mentioned it, I do personally find Jambo to be clearly superior to Jaipur. Jaipur is a fine game, but Jambo has more variety and depth, and I find it more thematic as well. Jambo is harder to come by these days, but if I had the equal choice between the two Jambo would win out (as evidenced by my ownership, I suppose).

But it it worth having both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
Captain N wrote:

But it it worth having both?

Maybe? I don't own Jaipur, but I'd say it's a different enough game experience from Jambo. I personally find Jaipur's setup with the chips to be just slightly more effort than I'm looking for from a relatively light and quick card game. The game is fun, but perhaps more trouble than it's worth to me. Mechanically it also reminds me a little of Splendor, which I prefer, but you did not enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I love Lords of Vegas too.

Since I am late in responding, I would like to suggest a birthday present for 2018- Rising Sun! Which is available on KS for the next 2 weeks only. Seems like a superb present for next yr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the majority of games on your shortlist but would definitely recommend Inis. It's a great game that is strategic while also being pretty simple to understand. It has a really interesting theme too, with great art. It can last a couple of hours on the first couple of playthroughs with 3 or 4 players, but speeds up a lot once people grasp the mechanics of the game and the importance of getting deeds. The two-player version is good and quicker, lasting around an hour once you know how to play.

You've probably already seen the SUSD review for it, but here it is in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElcG-_-gfxo

Edit: Would also +1 Viticulture Essential Edition, it's a fab game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ell131 wrote:
Haven't played the majority of games on your shortlist but would definitely recommend Inis. It's a great game that is strategic while also being pretty simple to understand. It has a really interesting theme too, with great art. It can last a couple of hours on the first couple of playthroughs with 3 or 4 players, but speeds up a lot once people grasp the mechanics of the game and the importance of getting deeds. The two-player version is good and quicker, lasting around an hour once you know how to play.

Yeah i did check out this vid before and liked the look of it. Always wanted Kemet/Cyclades and tbh this seemed a better alternative.

Starting to get on the Viticulture bandwagon a lot more now. Not sure what to get though. Watched a review of Tuscany with Vasel and the board in Tuscany seems better so would defo want that. Is Tuscany a stand alone? WHat do you get in Viticulture essentials compared to the base game and Tuscany...Confused??

Cheers
Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
Ell131 wrote:

Yeah i did check out this vid before and liked the look of it. Always wanted Kemet/Cyclades and tbh this seemed a better alternative.

Starting to get on the Viticulture bandwagon a lot more now. Not sure what to get though. Watched a review of Tuscany with Vasel and the board in Tuscany seems better so would defo want that. Is Tuscany a stand alone? WHat do you get in Viticulture essentials compared to the base game and Tuscany...Confused??

Cheers
Barry

Inis also has the advantage of working well as a 2 player game, whereas Kemet/Cyclades don't work so well at that count. Inis only goes up to 4 players though, whereas they go up to 5, so that could be a consideration there.

Tuscany isn't a standalone, you'd need Viticulture to play it. Viticulture:Essential Edition is definitely the version to get - it has various things from the original Tuscany expansion and a few rule tweaks. The Tuscany: Essentials expansion has just three expansions from the original game - the extended board, special workers, and extra structures.

The breakdown can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3057547/tuscany-essential-ed...

I haven't played with the Tuscany expansion yet but have ordered it - the extended board definitely looks worth playing with! I would say, though, that Viticulture without the expansions is still a really good game, and definitely does without the expansions for a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys Thanks for all your suggestions, many of which are now on my want in trade list or on shortlist to buy at some point.

For my birthday I've gone for:

Robo Rally (the new edition. I know the components are crap but I bagged it for £17 of Amazon warehouse so cant really go wrong fo rtheat money)

Ra...the latest reprint

Galaxy Trucker

Jaipur

and some Scythe metal coins lol

and I think I am getting Kemet on a trade for The fog of War

Cheers
Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned Inis on your list. That's a good choice. There's a light to medium weight Euro out called Ulm. I like it a lot. It has a clever tile pushing mechanism that determines the actions you'll take during your turn that I've never seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something a little different like Watson & Holmes? Deduction with a bit of auctioning/worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkowitz wrote:
How about something a little different like Watson & Holmes? Deduction with a bit of auctioning/worker placement.

I am on the lookout for Sherlock consulting detective after seeing susd review so will take a look at watson & Holmes thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases with errata, spelling errors fixed, etc. still hasn't been released yet, although it's supposedly coming very soon. That's the main reason I suggested W&H for the time being. Plus the mysteries are shorter/a bit easier, so it's probably a great starting point. It also tends to work better with 4+ (assuming the sons are playing with you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.