Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan and Evan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey All,

We're in the final stages of art for our game, After The Empire, and hoping to kickstart in June. We've worked with many different artists for the cards/boards, but feel good about how they all tie together (sort of like how a Magic set uses different artists, but feels uniform at the same time). My question is this:

We're looking to balance all of the cards so they feel somewhat more connected. By that I mean contrast, brightness adjustments and possibly even minor color adjustments as necessary. Basically, I'm looking for the visual equivalent of a mastering engineer in the audio world. Is there a title for this? What have other people who've used multiple artists done for their games in this regard? Does anyone have someone to recommend for this task? You can see some examples of our current art here: http://portlandgamecraft.com/after-the-empire-dev/ (on the right hand side). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Your graphic designer should be able to do it, printing preparation often has this kind of tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanoel Melo
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mb
An Art Director would have done this job along the way. But in your case, as you said yourself, the shown examples tie together nicely. Maybe just some levels/saturation adjustments would be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play with the brightness of the stained glass cards... they don't mesh with the other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan and Evan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Naomiooooo8 wrote:
I would play with the brightness of the stained glass cards... they don't mesh with the other cards.

Are you thinking they're too bright or not bright enough? Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan and Evan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
emanoelmelo wrote:
An Art Director would have done this job along the way. But in your case, as you said yourself, the shown examples tie together nicely. Maybe just some levels/saturation adjustments would be needed.

Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking. I'm trying to figure out who could do that role for us (adjusting levels/saturation). Is that just something that falls under "graphic designer", or is it a different, specialized role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
portlandgamecraft wrote:
Naomiooooo8 wrote:

Are you thinking they're too bright or not bright enough? Thanks for your feedback!

I thought they were too bright (saturated). Other than that I thought it went together nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanoel Melo
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I can help you, if you didn't find anyone yet, just send me an email at emanoelmelo at gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A graphic designer would be great at doing all of the things you're talking about. They'd also want to be in contact with your manufacturer to learn about their file requirements and printing suggestions. you'll need to proof all of the cards of course and adjust them accordingly - every printer is different after all but if you have the proofs done on the printer you'll eventually print the final copy - your graphic designer will be able to make everything look consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up on graphic designer. I was thinking about color blindness and accessibility issues... I'm sure I would miss things that should always be checked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.