• [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Broken Token insert and am happy to answer questions about it, but can't really compare.

I actually am still waiting on my game to arrive, so right now the insert is all I have, haha! It seems pretty awesome though. I think the big advantage to it is reduced setup time - just pull out all the trays, set up the board, and you're done. There's no sorting through cubes to give out or anything - it comes out of the box all ready to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gingras
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm waiting for Daedalus Production's insert to come out before purchasing. I haven't bought or seen any, but here are my initial thoughts about each of them:

Broken Token: I love the card holder with the rocket. Very themaic! The weakest point to me (visually) are the player boards. They're all wood, so they 'look' bland compared to others.

Meeple Realty: I love their player boards but I really don't like the idea or their token holder with the opening that lets them spill out. Spilled out cubes defeats the purpose of an insert IMO. I don't know, I just don't like that approach.

Daedalus Productions: Their insert is technically ready, but they partnered with Game Trays for the player boards. The Game Trayz player boards for this insert aren't ready yet. I'm kind of excited to see this one.

So, yeah. I'm waiting for Daedalus to post their insert before choosing one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sp00ns wrote:

Broken Token: I love the card holder with the rocket. Very themaic! The weakest point to me (visually) are the player boards. They're all wood, so they 'look' bland compared to others.

I felt the same way when I got the insert (it was a gift from my Secret Santa, so I never ordered it or even knew it existed before it showed up on my doorstep.) At the same time, the all wood look gives it a "classy" look to it, which I like. I'll just have to see when it gets to the table.

My biggest concern is just in teaching new players the game, that the icons might not be as clear just because they are not colour coded. I think it will still work out well, and I suppose I could paint them at some point if I decided they needed some colour. I'm guessing that's not necessary though, and it will just be an aesthetic choice for people - I think the Broken Token stuff will likely "stand out" on the table more than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sp00ns wrote:
I'm waiting for Daedalus Production's insert to come out before purchasing. I haven't bought or seen any, but here are my initial thoughts about each of them:

Meeple Realty: I love their player boards but I really don't like the idea or their token holder with the opening that lets them spill out. Spilled out cubes defeats the purpose of an insert IMO. I don't know, I just don't like that approach.

Daedalus Productions: Their insert is technically ready, but they partnered with Game Trays for the player boards. The Game Trayz player boards for this insert aren't ready yet. I'm kind of excited to see this one.

So, yeah. I'm waiting for Daedalus to post their insert before choosing one.

Perfect. Thank you much! I think Im going to wait, as well. I agree, I dont like the cube spilling. And when I looked at the BT one, the trays did seem weird to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to get an insert (heck my copy of Terraforming Mars arrives today). I actually like the Meeple Realty cube trays. By allowing the front to open up and spill out slightly, it should make it easy to just slide cubes out. The Broken Token one forces you to pinch the cube and lift it out which might be more difficult for people with big fingers/hands. It also looks like the Broken Token one does not have a lid. So if you store vertically and the lid comes a little loose then they could spill out.

Another option is game trayz. They sell a set of trays for all the small bits and also sell player boards. I like their boards but they are also a bit bland. The clear one does not work either because they do not line up with the game's player boards.

Personally, I think I may wait for the expansion to come out. I suspect most of these will get a redesign by that point so that everything fits in one box. I am not sure if I will get the expansion but if I do, I would want the insert to accommodate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
My biggest concern is just in teaching new players the game, that the icons might not be as clear just because they are not colour coded. I think it will still work out well, and I suppose I could paint them at some point if I decided they needed some colour. I'm guessing that's not necessary though, and it will just be an aesthetic choice for people - I think the Broken Token stuff will likely "stand out" on the table more than others.

I am also someone who got the Broken Token insert before they actually owned the game (should be arriving next week finally). I felt the same way about teaching new players with the boards from Broken Token, but then I realized that GamerTrayz sold stickers for their player trays for TM. So I have also ordered five sets of those. I am hoping that should solve the problem, and will stick to the Broken Token boards well enough.

I'll post picks when I get the stickers in (they were on back order, but should ship out in the next couple of days).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgreasby wrote:
The Broken Token one forces you to pinch the cube and lift it out which might be more difficult for people with big fingers/hands. It also looks like the Broken Token one does not have a lid. So if you store vertically and the lid comes a little loose then they could spill out.

I think the cube holders are big enough that it won't be hard to get the cubes out (although I have to admit I haven't tried it yet). The sides are angled so you should be able to just scoop them out rather than pinch them out.

I would be hesitant to store Terraforming Mars on its side though - I agree it wouldn't take much for the cubes to fall out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Barth
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I picked up the Meeple Realty Insert if you have any questions on it or would like pictures.

I actually preferred the Meeple Realty one because it preserved the use of the player mats. I didn't want to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Barth
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sp00ns wrote:

I did not have this worry when I bought the isert, but after a few plays, it became problematic enough for me to do a slight modification to the resource holders to prevent them from falling out. Here is a link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101358875270351&se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the meeple realty insert; I love everything about it other than the player cube holder. The money holder, we just dump out at the beginning and put it into a bowl anyhow; the cube holder however, everyone wants to scoop their own colors out and it is a pain in the a$$ to get just one color out without dumping all the rest.

If you can look past that, the player mats are second to none!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
mbmbmbmb
Shameless plug for a friend:
Insert Here makes really great foam core inserts for a bunch of games, including TM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was more interested in the tray overlay than the insert, so I ended up with the acrylic ones from BoardGameBoost. They're very nice, transparent so they don't cover up the original board and have the extra cube slot for an additional +10.

My insert will probably end up being a foam-core solution as there is plenty of space in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I was more interested in the tray overlay than the insert, so I ended up with the acrylic ones from BoardGameBoost. They're very nice, transparent so they don't cover up the original board and have the extra cube slot for an additional +10.

My insert will probably end up being a foam-core solution as there is plenty of space in the box.

I agree, the boardgameboost overlays are the best I've seen so far. They line up well, lock in place, and look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS... USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE."
mbmbmbmbmb
My setup ended up with a lot of upgraded components, so none of the pre-fab inserts would really work for me. Which is sad; I really like Broken Token's card storage/tower.

Layer 1. This is the just-opened box. I had laminated the player mats before I got any acrylic trays.

Layer 2. The deck boxes are all the sleeved cards. The Geek Boxes hold the metal cube upgrades. Custom first player Mars globe at the top.

Layer 3. Those are acrylic player trays from Board Game Innovation glued to custom mats created by BGG user blougaville. All in all, the lid is raised maybe 5 mm when closed because of all this extra stuff.

Blougaville's custom mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Broken Token one and I love it.

The player boards are great. You might think that wood doesn't fit the theme, but no one has felt that while playing at all. In fact people have loved the burnt wood more than the glossy printed board look once they have understood what all the symbols mean.

The positives:
* The playerboards are really solid and you don't knock your cubes out of place. We had one person drop their hand of cards directly onto their player board and not a single cube was out of place.
* The acrylic pieces for generation, temperature and oxygen are gorgeous and really thematic.
* Game setup and pack up is really fast. (Setup probably 3 minutes, pack up probably 5).

The negatives (and these are really picky):
* The symbol for steel on the player boards isn't exactly the same as the ones in the game. The spanner and hammer are crossed rather than adjacent.
* The three acrylic pieces dont stand up straight in their storage box, but as they are only in there when the game is in the box, it doesn't matter.
* The storage for the 1, 5 and 10 cubes is a little fiddly for use during the game if you have more than 1 person using the tray at a time. We tend to end up with the cubes sitting on the table next to the trays rather than in the trays themselves while playing, because it's a little less fiddly.

The third point is the only real negative, and it's really not a big one because it doesn't impact setup or packup at all, and during the game it hasn't bothered us. It might bother other people; it's probably just our big fingers.

Of course, I can't speak for any of the other inserts, but I really REALLY love the Broken Token one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None. The game is inevitably going to have expansions that won't fit in this insert. Hence, why I don't buy inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my Broken Token kit this weekend, haven't had a moment to play with it yet, however. I really liked the player 'trays' and the two resource trays. We will see how well they work.

I fixed the trays with a few pens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constance Cee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igknight wrote:
I fixed the trays with a few pens.

Hmmm, that might be the thing to actually get me to buy that insert. I didn't love those trays, but you coloring it really helps me see the icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Bremic wrote:

* The storage for the 1, 5 and 10 cubes is a little fiddly for use during the game if you have more than 1 person using the tray at a time. We tend to end up with the cubes sitting on the table next to the trays rather than in the trays themselves while playing, because it's a little less fiddly.

I agree with this - I may in fact replace my 1/5/10 cubes with wooden cubes, as I find they are too slippery to handle, and they were a bit tricky to extract from the Broken Token trays. Wooden cubes would be easier to handle.

The other slight issue I had with an otherwise excellent insert, was the holder for the 11 special tiles. I couldn't get the tiles out of the top layer - they seemed to be stuck in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Broken Token insert and have played with it once. I agree that the only negative is that the cubes / hex counters holders aren't very functional during the game. This doesn't bother me much, as they're still excellent for packing, but it only took us a couple rounds to dump those contents out onto the table.

I can't compare it, but I really like the Broken Token insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe that Terraforming Mars has enough components to manage to justify the cost of a insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:
I don't believe that Terraforming Mars has enough components to manage to justify the cost of a insert.

I agree with this too - but it was the only game (I think) that I owned that they made an insert for, and I was really curious to see one. I can't see it supporting any expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Did anyone see the video where the guy used magnetic tape? Put it on the bottom of the mats and on the bottom of the cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.