Subject: Solo vs. Two Alliance Automa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone up for creating this variant? The only way I'd buy a copy of the game since my game groups aren't into negotiating/betrayal games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How should an Automa player 'negociate' with you as the human player? How to make agreements, promises, threats...? Isn't that the core thing here in Rising Sun: trying to manipulate the other players into your hidden agenda (by convincing them that receiving the bonus as allies will benefit them great - but probably benefit you more in a hidden way devil ).

I can't see how one could make this happen with two 'cardboard' players with no interaction, no non-verbal communication, no dialogues, no interference by the other players at the table (trying to split possible allies)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, you're correct. But I'm talking about the live player playing solo, no alliances. Isn't that the way of any 3P or 5P? I've seen talk of how to play as a solo player vs. alliance(s). Might there be a way to develop Automa that would give a satisfactory experience playing against one or two "alliances" as a solo player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any automata would be severely beaten by whatever tactic counters them. Hence impossible or completely unsatisfying. Requires a bunch of nested IF/THEN/ELSE behaviours which would be horrible to read. Instead, however far departed, the best example of random AI with area control is I suggest you try this: Crusader Kings II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could play the game without the alliance mechanic. It would make the game feel much closer to Blood Rage, a straight area control/skirmish game. You could even remove the blind bid battle system (since negotiation seems to play a part there as well) and just go straight "high force wins" to resolve them. I think it would make the game much less interesting, but it seems doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I realize odds are slim. I'd love to buy this game but I don't need another pile of unused, unpainted minis sitting in a box on my shelves. Got plenty of those already. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Diplomacy and don't really recall negotiating in any games since getting back into the hobby.

I am primarily backing this project for the miniatures (which I really don't need) because the game would never see the table in the near future... This said I would really like to see a solo or 2 player variant.

What would the most common negotiation forms be for Rising Sun?
2 players agree to not attack each other
2 players agree to attack another player
2 players agree to block movement of other player(s)
2 players agree to mass troops in a specific location(s)
2 players agree to allocate funds in a specific way
2 players agree to obtain specific kami

Once these possibilities are defined it would be easy to build a chart or deck for each negotiation element. The live player draws/rolls for 2 options, then picks one.

Players that agree to a negotiation, are they bound to complying?
Is there a penalty (or reward) for breaking the agreement?

Edit:
Another option could be to openly place agreements then all players bid money and/or hostages for the one they find most favorable.
Non-player clans would need a mechanism to approve or reject the agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I've never played Diplomacy and don't really recall negotiating in any games since getting back into the hobby.

I am primarily backing this project for the miniatures (which I really don't need) because the game would never see the table in the near future... This said I would really like to see a solo or 2 player variant.

Once these possibilities are defined it would be easy to build a chart or deck for each negotiation element. The live player draws/rolls for 2 options, then picks one.

Edit:
Another option could be to openly place agreements then all players bid money and/or hostages for the one they find most favorable.

While many of these are possibilities, the only certain purpose of alliances in Rising Sun is to provide the allies a dubious hope of benefits before their "ally's" inevitable betrayal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
StevenE wrote:

Edit:

While many of these are possibilities, the only certain purpose of alliances in Rising Sun is to provide the allies a dubious hope of benefits before their "ally's" inevitable betrayal. :)

Exactly!

its still fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.