21 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: The ranking jumped straight up to 22, 8 in Strategy is that right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Pham
msg tools
mb
Does the ranking correctly reflect the quality of the game?
Or is this just initial hype?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ranking system here do not "reflect the quality of the game" in any case. It reflects how popular and how well liked a game is. In my opinion, there is a lot of stuff in the top100 that I do not want to play (ever again).

However, Gloomhaven certainly is a great game. I'm not the biggest coop fan, nor a big dungeon crawler fan and I still think the game is really great - and for me, better than the entire direct competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
The ranking system here do not "reflect the quality of the game" in any case. It reflects how popular and how well liked a game is. In my opinion, there is a lot of stuff in the top100 that I do not want to play (ever again).

However, Gloomhaven certainly is a great game. I'm not the biggest coop fan, nor a big dungeon crawler fan and I still think the game is really great - and for me, better than the entire direct competition.

While you're right that the BGG rankings are more a reflection on a game's popularity and that you're not ensured of liking a game because of a high ranking, I have found that games, which are rated well are generally good games, even if I might not enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Ahlstrøm Meyn Mathiassen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is useful to remember that people who have rated the game so far are mostly people who kickstarted the game, i.e. a group of people that like the concept of the game enough to back in.
When the game gets wider distribution I suspect the average rating will fall.

That being said then I think the game is a contender for BGG top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fedon fountoulakis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game did not jump to 22.
Does the imdb rating reflect the quality of a movie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rate start rising so much after deliveries so the votes are based on actual play. For sure a certain hype enhanced some votes and maybe in the middle of the campaign some votes can decrease

for me is the best in is genre and what I have searched for long time

by the way, there so many videos and reviews that is impossible to not have a clear picture of the game concept, pros and contros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game deserves a top 10 slot. It's that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
I'm not the biggest coop fan, nor a big dungeon crawler fan

Blasphemy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auci wrote:

If it was simply hype SeaFall would have been a top 100 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game deserves whatever top ranking it has. It shattered the mold of modern board gaming. While others keep churning out "me too" worker placement after worker placement about farming, shipping, and survival, Isaac created an original masterpiece. The most refreshing game experience I've had in 2+ years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auci wrote:

You'd be right to be suspicious of hype before the game came out. But now it's safe to assume this is indeed the best thing since sliced bread .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Auci wrote:

In Seafall's defense, that game has some of the most mind-blowing legacy aspects I've ever seen. Obviously, I wish it was built on a better core game, but there's a lot to enjoy if you can stick with it long enough to start unlocking stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JorduSpeaks wrote:
charlest wrote:
Auci wrote:

In Seafall's defense, that game has some of the most mind-blowing legacy aspects I've ever seen. Obviously, I wish it was built on a better core game, but there's a lot to enjoy if you can stick with it long enough to start unlocking stuff.

I'm not intending to insult SeaFall, much respect for Daviau and JR Honeycutt. I'm just saying that was extremely hyped and sold out at Gen Con before the doors opened to the public, yet it didn't shoot way up the ranks. Hype alone is clearly not enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Conner
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good test will be where it sits once more copies are available and a wider audience gets to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven just beat out Netrunner for the number 21 spot, making it the highest ranking lifestyle game (which I define as a game you are expected to play regularly indefinitely). Netrunner might get a bump in the near future though if the live action Ghost in the Shell movie is any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

I'm not intending to insult SeaFall, much respect for Daviau and JR Honeycutt.

Without looking up "JR Honeycutt", this is the image that came to mind:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JorduSpeaks wrote:
Gloomhaven just beat out Netrunner for the number 21 spot, making it the highest ranking lifestyle game (which I define as a game you are expected to play regularly indefinitely). Netrunner might get a bump in the near future though if the live action Ghost in the Shell movie is any good.

This also means it's beaten the second '10' of my games. (First 10 it beat was Forge War. Next one (actually 9.2) was Food Chain Magnate.)

Next one up is Terraforming Mars (I have it at 9.5, docking points for 'sometimes the deck just screws you out of having what you need'.)

The last 10 I have for it to beat is Through the Ages (the second edition, though.) It also needs to beat Eclipse, that I have rated 9...

I rate according to which ones I will play if laid out on a table with some random group of people wanting to learn/play it. I'm basically screwed if two of my 10s end up on a table at the same time.

(Currently I'd play Gloomhaven over Netrunner because I have an easy way to play Netrunner online, and I don't have that for Gloomhaven. Netrunner beats most other games because it's just *so good* and I love teaching it. Basically it's harder to organize a Gloomhaven session, so if people want to play that, SNAP DECISION MADE.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
skyzero wrote:
The game deserves whatever top ranking it has. It shattered the mold of modern board gaming. While others keep churning out "me too" worker placement after worker placement about farming, shipping, and survival, Isaac created an original masterpiece. The most refreshing game experience I've had in 2+ years.

This is funny, cause now he's coming out with a worker placement game next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Well, as someone playing who didn't Kickstart, I think it is really good. Is it #8 in strategy good? Well, I don't strictly agree with the current rankings (Blood Rage above Mage Knight?!), so it's hard to say. Personally, Mage Knight has been favorite game since I got it a few years ago. Gloomhaven is very close to it IMO (maybe slightly worse on an individual session level, but has a campaign, classes with more inherently different playstyles, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not initial hype.

The game design is excellent. I do not own it but I have played with friends and although I don't obsess over it I can honestly say I can't wait for an each opportunity to play it.

I do not like dungeon crawlers. They bore me to no end - out with the dice rolls and replace with a card pool I can easily manipulate and I'm instantly converted. GloomHaven is a ground breaking game in many aspects.

The designer has clearly been influenced by "from good to great" - meaning nothing is produced at half mast. This is top quality game soup to nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think me saying this is adding a lot to the conversation, but I'll chime in anyways - I think Gloomhaven is a terrific game and the people whom I have played it with have agreed as well. The BGG rankings do seem to be more conducive to games jumping up quickly now than they once were (there are quite a few 2016 games in the top 100 already), but I do think Gloomhaven is a great game and it's not just cult-of-the-new or empty hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.