Subject: Does the rebel base get destroyed if space units remain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So according to the rulebook under "winning the game," the Imperial forces win if the rebel base no longer has any units in the space at the end of combat. Now here's my scenario:

Last night my girlfriend and I are playing, she is playing the Imperials and I am the Rebellion. I've put my base on Nal Hutta. I figured the invasion was inevitable, she seemed to know exactly where I was so I had played the rapid mobilization card at the beginning of the phase. She activates Nal Hutta and invades with a ton of ground forces and a few space units including the Death Star. My base is revealed, so I move my base units to the system, which was a ton of space units but only for ground units. In the first round of space combat, I played Death Star Plans and rolled two direct hits. That destroyed the death star and moved the rebel marker on the round track on top of the time market. By the second round of combat, I destroyed her entire space force and she destroyed my ground forces.

So...I had space units still, was my base destroyed and she won? Or did I win after my unopposed mobilization to a new base with my fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Rebel base no longer has any units" means ground and space. One reason to always have at least one space unit in the base - a lucky planetary conquest cannot kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
What Ronald wrote above is true, however...

Primus0788 wrote:
So...I had space units still, was my base destroyed and she won? Or did I win after my unopposed mobilization to a new base with my fleet?

You won this exact moment:
Primus0788 wrote:
That destroyed the death star and moved the rebel marker on the round track on top of the time market.

There was no need to finish combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys! I was pretty sure I had scraped by on this one but wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one questionable thing is you said you played DSP in the first round of combat. It is played after the first round, so your Fighters needed to survive that first round.

Assuming you did that correctly, the others are right that you didn't need to complete any further rounds of combat, though:

RRG - Winning the Game wrote:
The Rebel player wins the game immediately if the reputation
marker is in the same space as the time marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Primus0788 wrote:
So according to the rulebook under "winning the game," the Imperial forces win if the rebel base no longer has any units in the space at the end of combat. Now here's my scenario:

Last night my girlfriend and I are playing, she is playing the Imperials and I am the Rebellion. I've put my base on Nal Hutta. I figured the invasion was inevitable, she seemed to know exactly where I was so I had played the rapid mobilization card at the beginning of the phase. She activates Nal Hutta and invades with a ton of ground forces and a few space units including the Death Star. My base is revealed, so I move my base units to the system, which was a ton of space units but only for ground units. In the first round of space combat, I played Death Star Plans and rolled two direct hits. That destroyed the death star and moved the rebel marker on the round track on top of the time market. By the second round of combat, I destroyed her entire space force and she destroyed my ground forces.

A few things to clarify:

Primus0788 wrote:
In the first round of space combat, I played Death Star Plans and rolled two direct hits. That destroyed the death star and moved the rebel marker on the round track on top of the time market.

At that exact moment you win and stop playing the game. In your
explaination you played on, possible of course but not for the "official" win/lose, you already had won.

Primus0788 wrote:
By the second round of combat, I destroyed her entire space force and she destroyed my ground forces.

At that moment, if reputation marker has not yet reached the time marker... nobody wins. Rebel base is still operational (cause rebs have unit(s) left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The one questionable thing is you said you played DSP in the first round of combat. It is played after the first round, so your Fighters needed to survive that first round.

Assuming you did that correctly, the others are right that you didn't need to complete any further rounds of combat, though:

RRG - Winning the Game wrote:
The Rebel player wins the game immediately if the reputation
marker is in the same space as the time marker.

I should have classified that...she destroyed one of my cruisers, but I still had two x-wings and two y-wings at the end of the first round of space combat, and that's when I played the DSP card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Just like in the movie it's possible for the rebels to win the space battle at their base and lose the ground battle and not lose the whole war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mundo Grundo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Primus0788 wrote:

In any event, letting your better half win increases the chances of her wanting to play again.

"Always let the Wookie win!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundo wrote:
Primus0788 wrote:

In any event, letting your better half win increases the chances of her wanting to play again.

Although I'm not sure I'd recommend calling your girlfriend a Wookie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundo wrote:
Primus0788 wrote:

Normally I would, but this time we were both excited to see the rebels win. Everytime we play the rebels come close but lose it at the very end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.