6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Rankings: General and Tagged Ranking Independent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I noticed that Gloomhaven is ranked 22 (Overall) and 8 (Strategy), while Terraforming Mars is ranked 17 (Overall) and 10 (Strategy).

How is this possible? Is a ranking in a certain category bound to the tag someone gives it? i.e. If someone tags Gloomhaven as Thematic, the rating will not be used to calculate its Strategy-ranking? But since very few people give tags, this doesn't really make sense.

The ratings are also different for Overall / Strategy for the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens all the time. Some games are in sub categories which I think has nothing to do with users tagging it and instead is based on where the admins put the game when it is added to the database.

In each subcategory the ranking formula is changed slightly--namely the number of shill votes is somehow modified. In practice this means that games with fewer ratings can shoot up the subcategories faster. (So as you've noted some of the recent hotness for strategy games are ranked higher in the subcategory as they have very high averages but relatively low vote counts).

The main rankings page has more shill votes thrown in or some such that means games need to achieve even more voters to reach higher geek rankings.

Finally, BGG does have a wiki that answers lots of these basic type of questions about the site. In this case the ratings page does a better job of explaining it all than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the tagging: I think Gloomhaven's tag started to include Thematic around 30% of tags. It didn't have that tag in the beginning. Not sure it is done manually.

But the different number of fake votes makes sense. I initially assumed that there was just one ranking and then sorting depending on tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I imagine the number of votes thrown out may have a slight affect too.

Another interesting note is Gloomhaven is #2 Thematic game, but there are at least 4 'thematic' games higher then it in the overall rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EternalFury wrote:
About the tagging: I think Gloomhaven's tag started to include Thematic around 30% of tags. It didn't have that tag in the beginning. Not sure it is done manually.

But the different number of fake votes makes sense. I initially assumed that there was just one ranking and then sorting depending on tag.

Mmm yeah to be honest I have no clue how a game becomes eligible for certain sub categories. Tagging may have something to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
EternalFury wrote:

Mmm yeah to be honest I have no clue how a game becomes eligible for certain sub categories. Tagging may have something to do with it.

On the right hand side there is a poll. (Little Graph icon) It was originally based on which categories (I think 30%) got high enough votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.