Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokens are not only a necessity for running trains, but also a weapon, where you can cut off other companies from lucrative routes.

In our games it was quite common to have gentlemen agreements like “I won’t toke here if you don’t do either”, so the token was free to go on another space where it hindered other players. Such coalitions where often accompanied by negative comments from those other players.

But a couple of years ago, we employed a rule that says: “We don’t talk about tokens, we simply place them!”. Since we did so, there are many more tokens on the board; even if you don’t need them immediately, but according to “better safe than sorry”, you are much more likely put a token down if you can’t ensure free passage through this tile by diplomacy.

However, holding one last token back always is a nice threatening gesture … even without words.

Do you use token agreements in your games? And if so, are they binding? And if not, are such agreements sometimes violated? And does that broken promise carry on to the next game?

I’m just curious meeple

EDIT: And to take care of Jason's question ...
Poll
We call them ...
Token
Station
other - please explain below
      30 answers
Poll created by PzVIE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
We sometimes have such agreements. I have never seen one broken. We don't see 18xx as a backstabbing genre (though simple aggression is fine.) You can token someone out, dump a company on them, buy all the cheap permanents, or do whatever nasty things you want. But if you promise not to do something, we keep those promises.

On the other hand, people don't make agreements just to be nice; there has to be a benefit for them (if only saving a critical token placement cost.) One common example: In 1846: The Race for the Midwest, I'm running 2 corps and you're running 1. There's one open spot left in Chicago. I could token it right now, but that would block both my other corp and yours. No other corp could possibly token that slot. I might say to you, "I'll leave that spot open if you promise not to token it." Result is that you and I each get one extra corp running to Chicago Connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Great topic!

I don't make token agreements because I refuse to put my fate in others' hands. Some other players I play with make token agreements as well as plenty of other helpful agreements. It bothers me, but I call that playing the game on "hard mode".

I love your rule “We don’t talk about tokens, we simply place them!”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schorfheide
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing 1817 really changed my appreciation of how tokens (or the lack thereof) can impact the game. You only need to run an 8 train to 3 cities so many times before that point gets driven home.

In my games I typically don't make formal agreements but it does seem like things are a bit open at the beginning when companies with 1 or 2 tokens try to suss out where to most effectively place them. Once the tokens start going down, it turns into musical chairs and doesn't stop until the core of the map is tokened out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Campau
United States
Mt Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us in our playing group like to make agreements or assurances. They are supposed to be mutually beneficial for all the reasons stated. But then there is that dreaded word "unless".

The game state may change from one phase to another. Other companies may open up and then start advancing to the disputed region. Sometimes one person says unless something happens. And stuff usually happens...

Best thing to do is agree to a détente, but then place your extra token in a different region as soon as you can in case you get blocked in the original area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pschorf wrote:
Playing 1817 really changed my appreciation of how tokens (or the lack thereof) can impact the game. You only need to run an 8 train to 3 cities so many times before that point gets driven home.

Well, 1817 is all about the tokens. In the few plays I had, it seems managing tokens was a huge part of that game.

---

General answer, we don't make agreements like this. But, we do try to convince...

"You know, that token sure hurts me, but you have stock in that company and you are also hurting your other company, sure you want to do that?"

Stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't allow discussion of any kind. Or fun.

Just kidding, but actually, we don't make deals of any kind. No station agreements, no tile lay talK, nothing.

If someone proposed a token deal in our group, they would likely be met with a funny look and then that location being tokneed out immediately out of suspicion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes we have peaceful token agreements, and other times we do not and it becomes an all-out war. It's really mostly about whether anyone does some nasty tokening in the first hour or so. If not, then the game remains peaceful. But if yes...

Also what is everyone's preferred nomenclature? I think "token" is easier to say than "station" but thematically it makes less sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly fine to play with different protocols than my group uses. "No negotiation at all" is fine. I'm not making a value judgement in my post above; I'm just reporting the facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
Also what is everyone's preferred nomenclature? I think "token" is easier to say than "station" but thematically it makes less sense.

We say "token." Some rule sets have multiple contradictory meanings for "station".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't. Resist.

"The first rule of token club is we don't talk about token club"

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Can't. Resist.

"The first rule of token club is we don't talk about token club"

Sorry.

Yeah, I should have seen this coming meeple ... nevertheless, I LOL'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the poll, I often call them railheads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
e.e.goings wrote:
Just kidding, but actually, we don't make deals of any kind. No station agreements, no tile lay talK, nothing.

That makes it hard to buy trains between different directors, or privates or shares between players -- critical things in some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jasonbartfast wrote:

"Bang" for a token location on tiles or hexes. eg The green has a single bang/is a one banger. The brown upgrade adds a bang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't feel a need to standardize on what people call stations or tokens. We use both terms interchangeably. Just like we use the terms town and dit interchangeably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Train Nipples"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
We don't feel a need to standardize on what people call stations or tokens. We use both terms interchangeably. Just like we use the terms town and dit interchangeably.

I'm not calling for standardization, just wondering what people's preferences are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Winterrowd
United States
Bluffton
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly will offer, and often make, offers to not token somewhere. I like the verbiage in some rules, "All agreements must be made publicly and may only be enforced through moral suasion."

I have only once had someone break an agreement in an 18xx game. It certainly colors my willingness to make an agreement with him in the future.

I generally only make such offers if it is my turn and I have the token and the cash to place it. I have also turned down such agreements. I have never felt any "if you don't agree to this then you are not nice" pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, I know that
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
calls them "dots" because I've listened to some of his session report videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Exclusively "dits" here. It has the advantage of brevity and alliteration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I thought they were doinkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I thought they were doinkers.

Would the players be "wankers"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in Viennese we often call a token a "Bemmerl" ... but I guess this strange dialect is not very common in the 18xx scene ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xeryus
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
We usually use 'tokens', but sometimes we also refer to them as 'station'.

During most of the games we have a no agreements policy, but that is mainly because you will get betrayed at the first opportunity by the involved parties. And if that is not the case then another player may go out of his way to threaten the agreement. Often at the start of a game we remind each other that agreements are not binding, and that you probably shouldn't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.