Subject: Ideas for monster tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers, one thing i really miss from arkham horror is the way the game was handling the monster and gate tokens as trophies, this fact was giving to these tokens and these encounters an extra flavour and meaning.
Now this part seems more shallow is there any House rule or idea how you can handle monster tokens giving them some more meaning . The kill them -put them back in pile is little boring, how anyone can keep them and do something with them without changing the game flow much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
an expansion brought a task that allows you to put defeated monsters on the task (sort of like trophies), but you still have to get this specific task.
Apart from that, I always thought that the Arkham Horror approach was kind of weird. It's wrong to see lovecraftian horror creatures as "trophies" after killing them... I like how they took a backseat in Eldritch. It should not be about monsters in a lovecraft game anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game flow isn't the issue, it's an issue of balance or difficulty. It would be easy to imagine trading in Monsters for Assets or Clues, but it would really affect the difficulty of the game.

But how about converting each point of Monster Toughness into 0.25 "successes" during an Acquire Assets? Return the tokens to the bag when you use them.

Or convert Monster toughness into Clues as a conversion ratio of 5:1, again return the tokens to the bag once you cash them in.

The conversion rates might need tweaking (perhaps 5:1 for Assets and 10:1 for Clues might be more appropriate) depending on the effect that it has on difficulty. (Free Assets can be big, extra Clues can be situational and sensitive to player count.)

Me, if I want to play Arkham Horror, I go play Arkham Horror and I'd really rather keep the "flavour" of the two games as distinct differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
msg tools
Mountains of Madness introduced Unique Assets with the subtype Task, which adress exactly this issue.

Purifying the World: When you defeat a non-Epic Monster during a Combat Encounter, place that Monster on this card. Then, you may flip this card

Walking the Ley Lines: When you close a Gate during an Other World Encounter, place that Gate on this card. Then, you may flip this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
an expansion brought a task that allows you to put defeated monsters on the task (sort of like trophies), but you still have to get this specific task.
Smichi wrote:
Mountains of Madness introduced Unique Assets with the subtype Task, which adress exactly this issue.
Unique Tasks don't solve the problem that the OP is talking about: you simply can't rely on being able to use Monster Tokens as "trophies" - those UTs don't turn up often enough (as Anduin implies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than straight successes or clue conversion, each point of toughness can raise the value of a single die by 1 in any test. A monsters toughness must be spent all at once. And 10 toughness for an extra action, but you stil may not repeat actons during a turn. A gate needs to convert to a focus , half a rest action or a homemade tokens that give an additional die for a single test and be put back in the pool at once. If you start saving them things can get really wonky.

That would feel more like the Arkham. I think mayber the extra action could be cheaper since you spend so many on fighting if you hunt monsters for trophies.

Of course if you use gates and monsters like this you need to remove the (always at least 1 die for tests or you make life abit easy) or maybe just play with more hard mythos cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
It's wrong to see lovecraftian horror creatures as "trophies" after killing them...

Yep. In HPL's works, most of the time you snuck past or fled from monsters, and, story-wise, this often resulted in the protagonist *succeeding* in his goals (eg. escaping a horror), not failing. Many mythos creatures dissolved after dying, and couldn't be photographed, although I've read stories where the protagonist mentions evidence from a creature he couldn't identify. In the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game, though, I've heard of characters having SMG's mowing down cultists and stuff.

For theme, I'd rather have the monsters tied in to the AO. Frex, if you're playing against Cthulhu, the gates would all be to Ryleh, and monsters related to Cthulhu. Right now, they're independent of the AO and the gates. With enough expansions (like AH), you could make thematic gate decks and monster draws (the AH black goat herald did something like this), but I don't think the setup was worth it. However, with the AH Innsmouth board, I did separate all the orange-bordered creatures as an Innsmouth monster cup. This had an effect of making the Innsmouth board a little easier, to encourage players to investigate this dangerous area, and it was amusing watching a Deep One or hybrid make his way to Unvisited Island or other aquatic sections of other boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.