Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Abandoned Sewers - For the 3 player setup we have to kill TWENTY-NINE enemies!? 9 of these are elite.

I remember when our 3 player group had to kill 15 Inox at the Inox Encampment, and THAT was a challenge. How are we supposed to be able to kill 29 enemies now?

We are levels 3, 3 and 2, so we're supposed to defeat 29 level 2 enemies. It also doesn't help that we're Mindthief, Scoundrel, and Cragheart. Yes, the first 2 can do big damage, but only the Cragheart really has multi-target attacks.

Sorry, what am I missing here? (I also don't want the scenario to take 4 hours either.)

Please advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Autumn Gamer is a pirate, Blustering in from sea, With a rollocking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. The Autumn Gamer is a raider, Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scale the difficulty. Make it as hard as you can handle.

But maybe just try it for once. I always thought that my mind thief can't kill a lot of enemies and then I ended up in one scenario mowing through the thrash with two attacks each round, not moving for like four rounds and let the enemy come to me... (stamina potion and recovering cards via the tinkerer was needed, thought.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This scenario is actually pretty ingenious and will take sometime for your group to strategize and figure it out. It can be beat (took me 3 tries because I'm slow). You'll probably fail the first time BUT you should have an aha moment and then you can plan accordingly. Make sure you can move freely, have a meat shield and lots of ranged multi enemy attacks.

If you want to see the strategy that works to save you time click the link https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25109372#25109372

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this 2player last week. And it was a lot of enemies (looks like 16 so only 8/player rather than 10/player). the brutal part wasn't the amount of enemies but the Viper's
Spoiler (click to reveal)
poison.
The other problem is that with a bunch of Oozes you can
wind up with even more
or specifically
even more a turn before you would have won since they're in the back of the last room.

The Vermlings have low HP, the snakes also have pretty low HP, and the Ooze have medium HP with low shield. Nothing has a big shield, nothing has retaliate, and the only heal is in a deck with 2 cards that cause self-damage. So it really comes down to the
poison. The Vipers all have poison, the Oozes and Vermlings can poison. Ouch.

We played with a level 6 brute and a level 2 triple-arrow at scenario difficulty 2, so we did have an over-powered tank with underpowered whatever and we managed to make it through. Without an over-powered tank type you probably want to
cry. keep out of range or keep the poisons on one character as much as you can and hope for ooze love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that not all enemies are created equal. Vipers and scouts are designed to be about half as difficult as the Inox enemies (i.e. two Vermlings are as hard as one Inox). It's a little rough, but don't get discouraged. And feel free to adjust the difficulty. It's really not my intention to make you play the same scenario over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Bernath
United States
Duarte
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is our most recent scenario! And it was a jaw dropper.

We thought surely we would lose - of course we feel that way with every scenario. We had a Tinkerer, Scoundrel, Mind Thief, and Brute. Two us could summon some allies to help out. Unbelievably, and at an OMG how could we stay up so late hour, we pulled it off!

My advice is to remember what we finally realized - the Ooze move very slowly, they damage themselves when they spawn, they can only spawn if there's an open adjacent hex and if there's a standee available, and did I mention they damage themselves?

And my main advice is to try it and just keep pushing forward - like I keep telling my Mind Thief husband.

I can't even imagine what's going to come our way next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think the poison might be a bigger problem than number of enemies, since it takes 1 heal to remove the poison, and another to heal the damage you take, and in the meantime you are taking additional damage on every attack. Most players don't have that many heals in their hands at all times to keep removing poison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat this scenario with my very last action and my companions were all exhausted. Thanks to some gremlin-like spawning I counted we had killed 45 enemies wowzombiekiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria Atanasova
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When we opened the last door, the Oozes summoned new ones. At that point my spouse was ready to give up, since we could not defeat that many enemies with our cards on hand.
As usual, I wanted to see the scenario through. So we slowly killed one-two, new ones spawned. However, the good part was that Oozes spawn with less than full health, that means every time the card was drawn, they became weaker.
We managed to squeeze a win in the last round before everyone got exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that Oozes can't Spawn onto water, coins, or other monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chaffer
msg tools
Why can't they spawn onto water or coins? News to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevenchaffer wrote:
Why can't they spawn onto water or coins? News to me.

They can only be placed in "empty" hexes.

See FAQ for full definition of "empty":
Quote:
Can you explain the difference between an unoccupied hex and an empty hex?
An unoccupied hex has no figures (monsters, characters or character summons) present. An empty hex has no figures, tokens (money or otherwise), or overlay tiles of any kind (except corridors, open doors, and pressure plates) present.

(The definition is alluded to within the rulebook in the section on Flying, pg 19)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Craghearts can do a lot of good in Scenario 18. Scenario 18 was the last scenario for my dear Craggy, Heft. Heft felt so proud after finally beating that one (took three tries, too) that he decided to leave the party and go off wandering the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tauman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Ran this with my solo group of 3 char earlier this week. All level 4 Brute Scoundrel and Spellweaver. Other than Spellweaver not really a lot of ranged, and really not a lot of heal which made this really rough.

In the end only the spellweaver exhausted early in the last room. Wound up winning (at level 3 enemies since playing solo) with a couple turns remaining actually. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In the end, if your hp are low, you can even let the oozes just kill themselves with the card that makes them replicate. There are 2 of those in their deck both with reshuffle so unless you get an unlucky draw, they will damage themselves fairly often.

What I have learned playing this game is that you have to balance aggression with patience. I've had scenarios that I took too slow and then had to scramble at the end wasting turns/cards just moving, but also learned that if you just rush into a room of even seemingly weak enemies... you're going to pay a hefty price. Even things that just hit for 2... if you're in range of 4-5 of them... it adds up really fast.

Other thing I've learned? Don't be married to your plan either for the scenario, room, or even your two action cards. When I reveal a monster action card that say increases damage but reduces range, I often change my plans when I go even sometimes just moving and not attacking. Saving a character from getting hit 3-4 times at 3-4 attack is worth waiting until next round and trying again.

My biggest frustration turned out not to even be the poison.. it was revealing the last room and having the ooze's first card be a loot action. After all my hard work they ate my chest lol!!! And it's a good chest too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Mtauman wrote:
My biggest frustration turned out not to even be the poison.. it was revealing the last room and having the ooze's first card be a loot action. After all my hard work they ate my chest lol!!! And it's a good chest too.

Rules, pg 32: "Looting: Monsters do not perform end-of-turn looting, but some monsters do have loot actions. In these cases, a monster will pick up all money tokens within the specified range. These money tokens are lost and are not dropped again when the looting monster is killed. Monsters are unable to loot treasure tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.