Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dice-driven game design that uses (at most) six d6 as components.

I'd like to include a little mini-game that involves solving a puzzle of sorts and I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any dice games that I could look into.

Thanks to all!

p.s. Knizia designed a whole book based on dice games but I don't have it at hand so maybe someone saw a game in there that fits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set Cubed comes to mind, is that kinda what you were looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rolling Japan and Rolling America?

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of like Reiner Knizia's Decathalon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Carcassonne dice" game have puzzle on the dice to match.

Else "to court the king" is amount making poker style match.

or "Elder sign" is about performing tasks makes of a cobination of faces.

how you intend to use the face of the dices. As a value from 1 to 6, as a pattern of 1 to 6 pips, using special unique faces.

You could have a 3x3 board in front of you with some things in them. and when you roll let say a 5, you activate the 5 corresponding pips. Which would make some pips rare. The sides are rarer, since they can only trigger with a 6. You could allow to rotate dices to trigger various tiles. Still, rotating 5,4,1 yield the same results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
God I love BGG. I already knew a couple of these games but they didn't come to mind... this is already giving me lots of options to investigate! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
how you intend to use the face of the dices. As a value from 1 to 6, as a pattern of 1 to 6 pips, using special unique faces.

You could have a 3x3 board in front of you with some things in them. and when you roll let say a 5, you activate the 5 corresponding pips. Which would make some pips rare. The sides are rarer, since they can only trigger with a 6. You could allow to rotate dices to trigger various tiles. Still, rotating 5,4,1 yield the same results.

I intend on using the values from 1 to 6 on the dice. I'm really open to anything. I'm intrigued by your idea of a grid with things on them... What do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a 3x3 board in front of you with space to place/do stuff. It could be a board for each player, a central board, multiple boards, whatever.

Let say with what ever rolling method you want, I end up using die 4. Since 4 has pips on each corner, it will activate the 4 corners of the board you want to play on.

So the areas that get activated match the position of the pip on the dice. Some areas like the corners, are more likely to be triggered than the sides.

Some faces like 6, 2 and 3 could possibly be rotated to trigger different faces since they are not symmetric patterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Tom Pellitieri
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The old Avalon Hill game, Moonstar, uses dice as a puzzle.

The board represents the 12 constellations of the zodiac. The player creates the puzzle by placing a number of planet tokens on the board, and designating which (few) target signs will earn extra points. Roll the dice and start the timer. Players bid the number of points they think they can earn by matching dice to planets and moving them the corresponding number of spaces. High bidder then has the same time on the timer to execute the moves by assigning a die to each planet and moving it. At the end, planets earn one point on a basic constellation, or bonus points for the target sites.

This is one of my favorite puzzle games, but it's heavy on the "math in your head", especially with the timer. I don't know enough folks who enjoy that challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Scott Allen's PnP Hauling Astronauts is an interesting dice-puzzle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.