BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need a theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The working title for my new WIP is Link.

Link is an abstract strategy card game for 2-6 players. The goal of the game is to form connections between cards on an invisible grid. Each card indicates a place where it must be played in connection to the anchor to access its ability. You may also form the indicated link with a previously played card to access its ability. As a result, the card to which a link is formed is flipped to its inverse side (changing color). In the end players will count cards of their chosen color and add this value to their points. The player with the highest points is the victor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the same card both sides.
S marks start player. It need not be his first card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept of this! The first theme that comes to mind is a kind of cybernetic/motherboard theme similar to Resistor_. Each card that you're placing in the grid is a different type of program chip that only takes effect when it's placed in the right spot.

Not to mention, this theme really lends itself well to just graphic design. If you're not an artist, you really wouldn't need one! Any artists reading; I love you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While still abstract, an easy light theme would be competing elements. Fire and water, fire and ice, light and dark, or even good and evil. Not sure how well you could incorporate the link system into that theme, but it could be doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. And there are loads of common elements.

I have considered doing a pirate theme. The X's and the anchor seem fit. Maybe go high tech cyber pirates. Use gold instead of points. Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems interesting. I'm really just shotgunning here but this made my think, impulsively, of time travel ('linking' back to a certain time to change the outcome) or accessing memories perhaps. Or alternate realities with the flipping (think Patema Inverted:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patema_Inverted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I could actually envision something like that. I'm going to keep running with my basic Link idea for now, but I could certainly see all of that in a returned of some sort. Thanks, Jordan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
While still abstract, an easy light theme would be competing elements. Fire and water, fire and ice, light and dark, or even good and evil. Not sure how well you could incorporate the link system into that theme, but it could be doable.

I like this direction, brings to mind spellcasting for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.