Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite things in computer role-playing games is creating a unique character and trying out different choices when they level up. I don't want there to be an optimal build, I prefer when a huge range of builds are viable and play differently from each other. The more the character is built on my choices, instead of being pre-build by the game designer's choices, the more I like it.

Many adventure board games seem to come with (a wide range) of preset characters (with little choice in how they start out, once you've chosen which character to play) and rather limited options for how to develop them when they increase in power. I'd prefer something that allows me to develop my starting character in more varied directions, depending on what choices I make for it; a game that gives me a lot of options for how to develop the character when increasing in power or going up in levels.

Are there board games that offers wider variety for character development and character builds? If it's solo-able, that would be a big plus too. If it has campaign play, so that I can play multiple scenarios and keep on developing the same character, that would be an additional minor plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
5 of the next 7 recommendations will be for Mage Knight Board Game, and they should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
5 of the next 7 recommendations will be for Mage Knight Board Game, and they should be.

Oh? What kind of options does Mage Knight give me when chosing / building my starting character?

What kind of options does it give me when leveling up?

(Or feel free to point me towards a review or article that covers these aspects well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
5 of the next 7 recommendations will be for Mage Knight Board Game Gloomhaven, and they should be.

FTFY.

But I'm not sure either really applies? I'm not sure if any game really applies since most provide multiple characters with limited options for each rather than lots of options for fewer characters.

Pathfinder the Adventure Card Gamehas multiple pre-set options for each class but from where you're starting you pretty much only have 1 major choice and a bunch of minor ones on how the level up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Player...no wait...not really an adventure game. Still, it has the character designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmbmbmb
Each character in The Witcher Adventure Game has different dice, development cards (skills/spells/etc.), and investigation strengths. No official solo, although there might be some sort of variant posted on the forums here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
I seem to remember that Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game has a campaign mode that lets you level up and gain powers between games. There are a decent number of cards to choose from so a lot of different combinations. And it integrates with other D&D board games but I'm not sure how that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
unic wrote:
zb1035 wrote:

Oh? What kind of options does Mage Knight give me when chosing / building my starting character?

What kind of options does it give me when leveling up?

(Or feel free to point me towards a review or article that covers these aspects well.)

Edit: sorry typing on iPad. Not my most eloquent response.

Each character starts with a mostly the same deck with one unique card in the base game. You have the opportunity to customize your skills and one advanced card every other level starting st level 2. You choose from 2 of your own skills. At level 4, you can choose between your skills again or the skills of another character that they did not choose, meaning you could have the wound exploiting ability of one character the ability to have excellent units of another, or whatever have you.

You also recruit units, get spells, and find artifacts.
Overall, you still need a good balance of everything, but you can definitely really choose to emphasize one aspect of your character. You can easily go middle of the road every play but you might also decide to pillage every monastery in the game and become a walking treasure hoarder but get no units because your reputation is -5 or you might go the opposite route and intentionally hunt down rampaging enemies and build influence so that you march with a small army.

One think to keep in mind is the game is very mechanical and sometimes mechanics trump theme. The flip side of this is if that's okay it can be very mechanically satisfying, vs something like runebound which is just like ok I rolled the right dice and got a ok enemy and rolled my tokens well or the d&d dungeon crawls that basically play themselves.
It won't feel like Skyrim but in my opinion it definitely captures the fantasy exploring feel. You can check out Ricky Royals videos.

I'd say +1 to Gloomhaven because I have it and have read the rule book but haven't played it, but good luck finding it at a good price.

I've played one solo game of roll player and while thematically you're building your character it definitely doesn't take the place of a fantasy Rpg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
One of my favourite things in computer role-playing games is creating a unique character and trying out different choices when they level up. I don't want there to be an optimal build, I prefer when a huge range of builds are viable and play differently from each other. The more the character is built on my choices, instead of being pre-build by the game designer's choices, the more I like it.

Many adventure board games seem to come with (a wide range) of preset characters (with little choice in how they start out, once you've chosen which character to play) and rather limited options for how to develop them when they increase in power. I'd prefer something that allows me to develop my starting character in more varied directions, depending on what choices I make for it; a game that gives me a lot of options for how to develop the character when increasing in power or going up in levels.

Are there board games that offers wider variety for character development and character builds? If it's solo-able, that would be a big plus too. If it has campaign play, so that I can play multiple scenarios and keep on developing the same character, that would be an additional minor plus.
The best options for this that I can think of:
Descent 1e
- Characters would list some combination of skills, such as 1 Might and 2 Sorcery, or 1 Might and 1 Subterfuge and 1 Sorcery. The player controlling the character would then draw 1 card from the appropriate deck for each Skill listed plus one additional card from any of the decks that they had already drawn from and choose one to discard back to the appropriate deck.
-- Drawback: still fairly little build variation for a character with 3 in one skill type (i.e, 0 Might, 0 Subterfuge, 3 Sorcery)
-- Drawback: characters also had a number of power dice distributed among the three attack types and typically a focused (3 power dice in Ranged/Subterfuge) character was far more powerful than a distributed (1 power die in each) character; skills were usually not dominant enough for a character to prefer an attack type where they had 1 or no power dice to a type where they had 2+ power dice - although a good late game weapon could be
-- Drawback: Not designed for campaign play (and in my opinion the expansions RtL and SoB for implementing campaign play had so many problems that even the all the errata that FFG released still doesn't "fix" or make campaign play completely work).
-- Drawback: One shot play generally had very little opportunity for leveling up, and usually purchasing extra power dice was more helpful for the cost than additional skills (though those skills could be of any type, not just the ones the character originally had access to).
-- Drawback: 1vAll play - not soloable
-- Drawback: Availability (due to FFG moving on to Descent 2e)

Gloomhaven
- Each character has a starting deck of a specific number of cards. During a scenario, each time a character shuffles their deck, they must lose access to one of their cards for the rest of the scenario (note: there are some very limited ways to get these cards back - but that usually involves sacrificing some other resource). Each character has 3 cards that they can swap into their deck (I think at any time between scenarios) right from the start. Leveling up allows access to more cards to swap into the decks.
-- Drawback: This still doesn't really change the way the character plays much if at all.
-- Drawback: The additional options from leveling up also don't really change how the character plays, just provides opportunities for making them more effective at it, in one way or another.
-Campaign play forces retirement of characters, and you must chose another to play.

Edit - missing end parenthesis
Edit - typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Edens
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Shadowrun: crossfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also feel like runebound might provide some levelling options...but because its one-offs instead of a campaign and competitive instead of cooperative im not sure it qualifies. and i havent played the previous editions to compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D 5th. Adventure games never hold up to the real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:

I kind of agree. I like Mage Knight BG, because it's a great game, but video games do this vastly better than board games. Board games can't replicate that scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Jpwoo wrote:

I kind of agree. I like Mage Knight BG, because it's a great game, but video games do this vastly better than board games. Board games can't replicate that scope.

Seconded. Mage knight is fun but I don't think any board game has truly captured that feel yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition) doesn't have "levels," but the skill system and the variety of assets really do provide for impressively diverse ways to develop your character over the course of a scenario. Characters don't start as "blank slates," and the differences between characters at the start are at least as significant as the differences among the ways a given character can be developed. But how you choose to develop your character can easily spell the difference between winning and losing, and that "how" will likely vary by starting character and by scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.