'65: Squad-Level Combat in the Jungles of Vietnam» Forums » General

Subject: After a first game, some comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
First of all, the game is fun. The rules are simple (albeit sometimes, we are not sure how to play, but this forum is as always very helpful).
Second, I love the big and beautiful map, the big and beautiful counters.
What We didn't appreciate was the actions cards. They are... not beautiful at all. I noticed that when I subscribed first on the KS, and expressed about that, but alas, they didn't change.
The mix of dark red, green and brown is quite bad. Too dark, things son't stand out. For example, Power and end of turn (when drawn to resolve combat), can be dismissed. Many times, we had to check the discards to ensure end of turn hadn't been drawn. And many times they were, but as we focused on the Hit part, we dismissed the end of turn.
As a comparison, When you draw a card from the combat commander game, an event, time or sniper is very visible, even though it is quite small on the card.
Next thing, there is no rigor when it comes to the HIT. I mean, different fonts, colours and ways to write the 'HIT' words can be found in the rules, plays aid and cards. Worse, on the play aid, the green HIT looks like grey.
Why the rules and play aids don't use the same font, colours, etc. as the cards?
Same thing about the wording. In the rule, you find, as results on tanks, the words 'Shaken, Dud!, Destroyed! and Hit'. On the cards, you find 'SHAKE, DUD!, DESTROY! and HIT'. Similar or identical words, but not completely identical.
A bonus condition cards talks about a flank attack. But the cards allow Flanking Fire. Similar, but not the same wording.

Instead of placing '*' on counters to say that they don't have an armor, APF, etc., I feel it would have been better to write nothing. It would have lightened the counters.

Last thing, the symbols next to the action. Some identical actions have different symbols. For example, a rally action has a chevron (like the grade of an NCO), another has 4 arrows.
A move-like action has a 'four arrows' symbol, but the reinforcement action too.
A target reticle is used for fire, green if action, yellow if support. But the scrape action also has a green reticle and it's not a fire action.

In the end, I failed to see the relation between the action and the symbol. But fortunately, that doesn't hinder the game.

Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.