Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm starting to wonder if we are doing something wrong since we have a 100% winrate after 6 scenarios.

Our team is Tinkerer, Scoundrel, Brute and Cragheart. Except for scenario 2, where we pushed our luck for the chest, we almost never ended up with someone exhausted.

On the forum and the subreddit I see a lot of people who said they lost 2-3 times the same scenario.

Do you think we are doing something wrong? Or are we just very good?

2 of us are really good with RPG'esque game and the 2 others are usually good with board games in general.

EDIT:

More infos :

- Level used for recommended : Average Level / 2 (we are level 2-2-3-3, so average level is 2.5 / 2 => 1.25 rounded up to 2)
- We lose a card on long rest, short rest
- We lost card with the X
- When we open the door, we setup the new room and turn one card for the new monsters in there (keep the one if one type of monster was active earlier in the round) then everyone monsters with lower initiative then the current player act as normal after he finishes his turn.
- We use the good modifier deck labeled 1 or 2 or 3 or 4
- We add the 2x -1 when using the armor (can't remember the name)
- We use potion only once per scenario
- We do not consume the element in the same round if created by the same player
- We do not share gold (especially our Scoundrel... f****** rogue...)
- We do not give any number on our card. We just say "I will act VERY quickly and hit this game very hard then move near the door" or "Can you pull me this guy?" or "can you heal me this turn?" (We just now know what's the "quickly" and the "slowy" for each of our partner)
- Ranged monster move away from focus to not have Disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems impossible for us to know if you're doing it wrong. If you want more of a challenge, increase the scenario level by +1 above recommended level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Murphy
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
We are in the same boat. We have had two scenarios where one person was very close to being exhausted comma but have not come close to losing yet. I can see how this game could be super difficult but my group is full of hardcore Gamers, usually high strategy games, and so are skills are tailored to make this one easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common mistake from people who say they are doing too well is that they are using the wrong modifier cards.

Did your modifier decks start with a Null and five -1 cards included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are you doing exactly, and do you think you're playing any rules wrong?

Some mistakes that are being made, which tend to make it easier:
- Are you using the Standard Attack Modifier Decks or the Class Specific Cards?
- Do you lose a card every time you rest? Resting serves as a timer, you see, and not losing any cards, makes you incredible powerful.
- Have you tried changing the difficulty? It's pretty easy to do. If not: Are you playing on the right difficulty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Also, make sure your selecting the recommended scenario level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
stevelabny wrote:
The most common mistake from people who say they are doing too well is that they are using the wrong modifier cards.

Did your modifier decks start with a Null and five -1 cards included?

Yes, I should have noted that we read all the "things you probably did wrong on your first game" thread and we seems to be playing 100% right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
malkaven wrote:
Also, make sure your selecting the recommended scenario level.

Yeah, average level /2 round up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll repeat myself:

- Do you lose a card every time you rest? Resting serves as a timer, you see, and not losing any cards, makes you incredible powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Given the information you supplied about the way you play, it's going to be pretty much impossible to say if you are playing correctly.

It seems, in my opinion, to be you need to be good at resource management (in a euro-game way) to do better than having a more traditional RPG mind-set but it's entirely possible the mechanisms have clicked for your group. It's also possible you've missed some rule or just been somewhat lucky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
SpiritReacher wrote:
I'll repeat myself:

Yes we lose a card that we choose on long rest and a random one on short rest. We can lose 1hp to redraw another card on random draw for the short rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
xris wrote:
Given the information you supplied about the way you play, it's going to be pretty much impossible to say if you are playing correctly.

It seems, in my opinion, to be you need to be good at resource management (in a euro-game way) to do better than having a more traditional RPG mind-set but it's entirely possible the mechanisms have clicked for your group. It's also possible you've missed some rule or just been somewhat lucky

Yeah I know it's impossible for you to say if I'm playing correctly :/

We played a lot of Mage Knight and other resource management game but I was just weird thinking that we were that "good" since everyone seemed to lose 30-40% of the game.

Also, we play SUPER conservatively, we almost never use Lost Card before the half of the game. Since I'm playing the tinkerer, I'm the one who burn the most card early if I can use my AoE attack effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Coppel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wager your missing something because never ending with someone exhausted in 4 player mode seems impossible.

Only way to know would be to video a game play.

Are you loosing the cards with the X on them?
Are you loosing cards on all rest?
Are you activating rooms when the door is opened and doing every activation, even the ones before the initiative of the opener?
Are you playing modifiers correctly?
Are you moving correctly, I watched one video where they just all moved to the door and long rested after a room was cleared.

So many if's, but without watching it's hard to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
kalanqc wrote:
Yeah I know it's impossible for you to say if I'm playing correctly :/

Perhaps if you gave more info?

Describe a typical turn. What items do you have (in spoiler tags)? How effective are you at co-operating with each other? What sort of table talk is there.

EDIT: OK, you've edited your post and began to give more detail, good. Being good at Mage Knight should be a good indicator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
mcoppel wrote:
I would wager your missing something because never ending with someone exhausted in 4 player mode seems impossible.

Only way to know would be to video a game play.

Are you loosing the cards with the X on them?
Are you loosing cards on all rest?
Are you activating rooms when the door is opened and doing every activation, even the ones before the initiative of the opener?
Are you playing modifiers correctly?
Are you moving correctly, I watched one video where they just all moved to the door and long rested after a room was cleared.

So many if's, but without watching it's hard to know.

Yes, we are sure that we are correct on all the point you listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
fllicker wrote:
We are in the same boat. We have had two scenarios where one person was very close to being exhausted comma but have not come close to losing yet. I can see how this game could be super difficult but my group is full of hardcore Gamers, usually high strategy games, and so are skills are tailored to make this one easier.

whats an exhausted comma?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
Added more infos in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mcoppel wrote:

Really? My group of 4 just played scenario 5 and 10 back to back and no one was exhausted at the end. In fact we find it easier when we have 4...mostly due to our 4th is either Brute or Cragheart. So when we play 3, we have less tanking abilities as a group.

I will say scenario 4 kicked our butts 3-4 times. Since then we have been playing better. But I was unaware that the norm for a 4 player group is to have someone be exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
billpa wrote:
mcoppel wrote:

Really? My group of 4 just played scenario 5 and 10 back to back and no one was exhausted at the end. In fact we find it easier when we have 4...mostly due to our 4th is either Brute or Cragheart. So when we play 3, we have less tanking abilities as a group.

I will say scenario 4 kicked our butts 3-4 times. Since then we have been playing better. But I was unaware that the norm for a 4 player group is to have someone be exhausted.

We have not done the 4th yet. Tonight we are playing with only 2 of us, maybe we will try this one then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Raise the difficulty. There are 5 major variables that influence how effective your party is. Level, class/build synergy, item choices, perk choices (including bonus perks), and player skill. The recommended difficulty only takes level into account, so it's really not useful as anything other than a starting point to adjust from.

Imagine two parties. Both have an average level of 5, but one is an optimized team where all players chose skills to synergize with each other, a full loadout of items to complement their builds and each other, carefully chosen perks to maximize the effectiveness of their abilities, lots of bonus perks from battle goal checkmarks, and piloted by skilled players that know the game well. The second team is also level 5, but with no items, no battle goal checkmarks, ability cards and perks chosen more or less at random, and piloted by new players with no idea what they're doing.

Should these parties be on the same difficulty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you making sure to check hand size before starting? Each class has access to more cards than they are allowed to take in.

I'd fully believe that a team can have 100% win rate, but I don't believe that there has been 0 exhaustions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinay Baliga
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We also had a 100% win rate after 6 scenarios. Now that we're 11 scenarios in, we've only lost once and that was to something very unexpected.

I do think very careful pacing of using your ability cards and good teamwork can end in great results. So it sounds like your group is doing a good job with that. Keep it up!

I know we've messed up a few rules here and there (mostly things clarified by the FAQ), but they've been for and against us and I don't think they were so significant that it would have changed the outcome of any one scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
valpocarnie wrote:
Are you making sure to check hand size before starting? Each class has access to more cards than they are allowed to take in.

I'd fully believe that a team can have 100% win rate, but I don't believe that there has been 0 exhaustions.

No, one of us made this mistake once and we corrected it after 2 turns. Why is everyone looking at me !? whistle

We had 2 exhaustions on scenario 2 and 1 exhaustion in another one.

Most scenarios ended up and I had like 5cards in my hand as the tinkerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinay Baliga
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Our Cragheart and Tinkerer almost never exhausted. I've been playing Scoundrel and having a 9 card hand needs to be played very carefully to not get exhausted. If you lose too many cards it can be tough. We also have a Spellweaver who gets exhausted every time, but that's kind of what that class does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
Alucard2004 wrote:
Our Cragheart and Tinkerer almost never exhausted. I've been playing Scoundrel and having a 9 card hand needs to be played very carefully to not get exhausted. If you lose too many cards it can be tough. We also have a Spellweaver who gets exhausted every time, but that's kind of what that class does

The scoundrel is a god at dealing single target damage with his lost card. In our party, his job is to target the big health enemies and blow them. Now he have access to a "not lose" invisibility card, he will be able to do some "guerrila" attack then hides in the shadows!

But he never use his "lost" card until he acquired a target that deserve to be one shotted.

He did a 20+ damage on a boss once... was ridiculous.

EDIT: Before someone ask how : Backstab card I think(3 + 2 + 2) x2 (stealthy card bonus) x2 (with advantage, thx goggle)

Something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.