Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Variants

Subject: Enemy Dice Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple variant to increase difficulty, you will need another set of dice (in a different colour) for this one.

When you roll dice for a bane roll also its dice and add the result to the checks difficulty (you could do that for boons too if you want).

The dice is determined by the unmodified check difficulty, divide it by 2, round up and you get the number of sides on your enemy dice. So e.g.
For checks up to 8 use a D4
9-12 = D6
13-16 = D8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting. So you would not know the exact difficulty when you make your roll -- you would just know the range of possible difficulty?

That would make the game harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
This is interesting. So you would not know the exact difficulty when you make your roll -- you would just know the range of possible difficulty?

That would make the game harder.

Yes, exactly. So for the card of 8 difficulty you would know it will be 9-12 for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This method would only work for checks with a difficulty no greater than 24, as the 12-sided dice is the highest one in RotR.

Also the game is playtested for the difficulties of the checks given on the cards, so adding d12 to a 24 check would make that check very hard indeed. I'm not sure that's much fun to play.

If the randomness of the player dice is not enough, you could lower the base difficulty of the check by half the added dice. So instead of a check to defeat of 8, you'd start with 6 and add d4. That would be more balanced.

All in all, I think the randomness of the player dice is enough for me, but it's nice to think about variants, so thanks for the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since this is a variant, you could bring your own d20 -- but if you think adding a d12 is too much, that's probably not a satisfying answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
This method would only work for checks with a difficulty no greater than 24, as the 12-sided dice is the highest one in RotR.

Also the game is playtested for the difficulties of the checks given on the cards, so adding d12 to a 24 check would make that check very hard indeed. I'm not sure that's much fun to play.

If the randomness of the player dice is not enough, you could lower the base difficulty of the check by half the added dice. So instead of a check to defeat of 8, you'd start with 6 and add d4. That would be more balanced.

All in all, I think the randomness of the player dice is enough for me, but it's nice to think about variants, so thanks for the thread.

The idea behind this is to add some more variability to the enemies, keeping the simple ones still relatively simple (D4 won't change much) while making the hard fights really epic, almost impossible without team-work and right card-play. Also I somehow just like the feel of enemies rolling dice too, it just seems more fun than a static bonus to check difficulty. And ROTRL does need a boost in this area.

I would encourage those who want to try it to keep a cap on the enemy dice, at first for example assuming no enemy can get a higher dice than D6 (or D8 if you feel up to it). Of course there is nothing that prevents you from using a D20 and such enemies will be still beatable, albeit maybe not at the max roll.

Also one should take into account party size. PACG never addressed this properly, the bigger your party the easier the checks will get, so for those playing with 6 this will be a much different experience than for those playing with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
... the bigger your party the easier the checks will get ...

I'm curious: what makes you think that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
borsook wrote:

Unless I misunderstand rules in a big way, every player/hero can play a blessing to affect a check, so the more heroes there are, the bigger potential for a successful check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
takai wrote:
borsook wrote:

Unless I misunderstand rules in a big way, every player/hero can play a blessing to affect a check, so the more heroes there are, the bigger potential for a successful check.

Ok, this is true... for a big party, the important checks (like defeating a villain) are usually easier, because more blessings are available.

The challenge is, when you have (for example) six players, you often have to explore faster than you do with one or two players, so more often you are spending your blessings on exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've been playing with two characters only, and haven't done the math on playing with more characters. But the number of blessings in the blessings deck does not increase, hence you'll need to explore "faster" in order to be able to close the locations. Ok, you may spread out to spot the locations for a temporary close, but my intuition tells me that you need the blessings to explore more than to be able to spend them on checks to defeat let alone acquire. You could both be right, I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a suggested tweak to this interesting variant:
If the check doesn't make the adjusted roll but would make the unadjusted, call the monster undefeated (see the Rat Swarm). Allow the character to take Combat damage equal to the difference to defeat the monster.

This gives some options to the players and ups the difficulty a bit less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
untitledFolder wrote:
Here's a suggested tweak to this interesting variant:
If the check doesn't make the adjusted roll but would make the unadjusted, call the monster undefeated (see the Rat Swarm). Allow the character to take Combat damage equal to the difference to defeat the monster.

This gives some options to the players and ups the difficulty a bit less.

That's a really good idea! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
So far I've been playing with two characters only, and haven't done the math on playing with more characters. But the number of blessings in the blessings deck does not increase, hence you'll need to explore "faster" in order to be able to close the locations. Ok, you may spread out to spot the locations for a temporary close, but my intuition tells me that you need the blessings to explore more than to be able to spend them on checks to defeat let alone acquire. You could both be right, I'm not sure.

If you play with 2 characters there are 4 locations, with 3 - 5 with 4 -6. So there are always 2 more locations than your characters. With more characters it is easier to burn through the two extra locations, close them quickly and then temporary close the others when needed. Also you get many more powers and abilities. Not to mention that each character keeping one blessing in reserve gives you great power when needed. So yes, the game does get easier with more characters... doesn't mean it is more fun though, I actually really like it with two (partly because it is tougher, but also because you do see more of your deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.