Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Johnson
United States
Chicago Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Metaurus AAR
The Romans went in aggressively, cleaving to the notion: "Never mind maneuvers, always go straight at 'em!". Consul Nero ignored history and went all-in against the Carthaginian left wing, rather than making a flank march to the Carthaginian right. I played with the variant allowing the Gauls to be clean and sober. Or at least sober. Nero’s wing made steady progress against the Carthago left and didn’t slow down until the Carthaginian army was driven from the field.

On the Roman left, the spirits of Romulus and Remus grew deeply restless while witnessing the grinding disintegration of two legions against a well-chosen and well-defended position. In hindsight I should have used the Reform order a few times to keep things together for the SPQR team.

Hasdrubal Barca moved his elephants to the right wing while chanting under his breath (“I swear by the deathless gods that my sword will drink more Roman blood than the sword of my brother…”). His secret evil plan was based upon careful study of the Weapon/Armor matrix, where he noticed a whopping +3 for elephants vs cavalry.

The elephants did prove to be effective, as well as quite lucky – never a bad roll on the Elephant Table. The Roman cavalry was defeated and their left was turned even as they were turning the Carthaginian left, and slowly surrounding the Carthaginian center.

Around this time the Romans lost the game when they reached 12 units eliminated vs only 15 Carthaginian units eliminated.

Now, do you remember first getting into gaming in junior high – when you would ignore victory conditions and keep fighting down to the last game piece? Maybe you didn’t do that because you had nicer, more intellectual friends than me.

So, I continued the battle after the “loss by casualty threshold” in the belief that neither side would have quit if they had at least some organized units left. I don’t imagine Consul Nero calling a halt just because the left wing was beaten. So I played it out until one army was driven from the field. Here’s the video of the pictures taken at the end of each turn:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/130478/battle-metaurus-north...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.