• [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon] Catan $28.69 with Free Shipping (CSI $44.10)
Ugh. I'm super curious about Legend of the Sea Robbers and if that would make it worth upgrading from my grimy old 3rd edition to a new 5th edition so this is tempting but really hard to justify without more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McLeod
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 15+ years that I've been gaming, I have never personally owned Catan. But this is just too good a price not to, and the Legend of the Sea Robbers (which I hadn't heard about yet) sounds interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
My copy was ruined years ago in a beer spilling accident, and I thought I was done with this game completely. Four years later, my friends are itching to play it again. At this price, I figured it would be a fun trip to the past since we've been exploring some older designs recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized Catan isn't Mayfair anymore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sickler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Catan been replaced by anything or is it still relevant with the amount of options available today? I have a decent collection but I have never played Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Longholes

Providence
Rhode Island
msg tools
badge
Naterrs wrote:
Has Catan been replaced by anything or is it still relevant with the amount of options available today? I have a decent collection but I have never played Catan.

You should play Catan even if you are not going to buy it.

As demonstrated above, the draw is apparently more for nostalgia, which is in itself a powerful thing.

It's 100% relevant if you are building a board game museum of fame.

I think --at least for me -- Catan has been replaced by dice rolling games that are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Naterrs wrote:

I think Catan, as a total package, does a lot of things that even modern games don't do as well. The problem is that Catan does everything really well, but depending on what people liked about it originally, there are other games that do any individual part better.

Catan is a resource management game that uses dice, trading, and an attack-the-leader catchup mechanic to make the game winnable by anyone even though experienced players will win more. Its meant to be light and encourage table talk.

There are "better" resource management games that are heavier or less dice random or less dependent on opening position, there are "better" trading/negotiation games, some people prefer stronger or weaker catchup mechanics, some people just prefer heavier games. Recently, even eurogames are getting "cool themes" which Catan doesn't have. Trading can double the length of the game if the group doesn't learn to be reasonable and efficient. Trading can be kingmakery or antagonistic with certain player types. A bad teacher can abuse new players by not stressinf the importance of starting placement and bad starting placement can make the entire game a slog. Some people really hate the "I have wood for sheep" joke.

As a bit of a hybrid game, Catan still teaches many modern mechanics well in one game. The quickness of all aspects of a turn other than trading can lead to very snappily paced games. The trading and the resource production on any player's die roll means players are NEVER disconnected from the game and involved on everyones turn which is something that way too many games still forget to do. The trading creates table-talk and trash-talk dynamics that many heavier games don't allow space for.

I think we've reached a post-Catan world where many players and designers might benefit from going back and looking at what makes Catan great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gillen
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now $18 from third party prime seller "New York Electronics Store."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hilliard
United States
Smyrna
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad I refreshed my browser before checking out on Amazon lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ornelas

Castroville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been holding off for so long but couldn't pass up $18

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Ugh. I'm super curious about Legend of the Sea Robbers and if that would make it worth upgrading from my grimy old 3rd edition to a new 5th edition so this is tempting but really hard to justify without more info.
The component quality is atrocious in the newer editions. I wouldn't replace your beautiful 3rd edition (same as what I have) with a newer, inferior one.

Although I may be basing this off of 4th edition, which was Mayfair, and which this isn't. So nevermind then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pahn wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
The component quality is atrocious in the newer editions. I wouldn't replace your beautiful 3rd edition (same as what I have) with a newer, inferior one.

Although I may be basing this off of 4th edition, which was Mayfair, and which this isn't. So nevermind then!

I thought the fourth edition was regarded as having good quality, with the 5th edition having issues punching out the cardboard pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those new cards look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon] Catan $27.88 with Free Shipping (CSI $44.10)
The listing at $27.88 is "backordered, due in stock 3/26". I've seen that these very often are bait, and the order will probably end up being canceled because the stock never arrived. Better off, in my opinion, going with the $28.99 that is FBA in-stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
Either a distributor liquidated tens of thousands of units or...

THEY ARE COUNTERFEIT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Manzella
United States
Hamilton
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now @ $27.49

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.