Subject: Some Insight on Multiplayer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny
Canada
flag msg tools
Go Leafs Go
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. I have Battlelore 2e and I really enjoy that game, but there is no multiplayer. What do I need for Memoir 44 to be multiplayer?

Is there an official multiplayer for the base game? I see that the Operation Overlord expansion increases it to multiplayer, but is that any good?

Does the d-day terrain expansion do the same thing? Anything else I can do for Multiplayer? How does the multiplayer work? and is it any good?

Sorry, lots of questions! Thanks though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let others give you some good advice about Overlord. That's not my forte, as I usually don't have that much time to play a single game of M'44.

However, I have played 2v2 with the standard-sized board, and it works. The base game instructions have some recommendations, I think. The way I play it is both players on a team work together and can discuss their options. To avoid game-stalling disagreements, one player gets final say on the card selected, and the other player gets final say on the units ordered. This is a pretty good way of replicating chain of command - a higher level officer gives the orders, and a lower level officer carries them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I'll let others give you some good advice about Overlord. That's not my forte, as I usually don't have that much time to play a single game of M'44.

However, I have played 2v2 with the standard-sized board, and it works. The base game instructions have some recommendations, I think. The way I play it is both players on a team work together and can discuss their options. To avoid game-stalling disagreements, one player gets final say on the card selected, and the other player gets final say on the units ordered. This is a pretty good way of replicating chain of command - a higher level officer gives the orders, and a lower level officer carries them out.

I very much enjoy M44. As per the poster above, I've made it work with four players out of the base game box.

I picked up and played Overlord as well. It's good, but I find it a bit cumbersome. What makes M44 shine in my opinion is its simplicity and ease of play. Overlord bogs things down IMHO.

For Overlord, you ought to get (1) the overlord expansion and (2) a separate board. If you want to get a lot of bang for your buck, you could pick up the winter/desert board as your second board, and place that next to the original game board. It won't look too nice though - but would be totally playable.

You'll need extra pieces for the Overlord scenarios, but the Overlord Expansion comes with decent cardboard counters to substitute for the missing plastic pieces.

All that said, I think there are better multiplayer war games out there. Conflict of Heroes quickly comes to mind. It's a significant step up in complexity, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own almost all of the M44 collection except for the D-Day stuff which remains on my wishlist. My group uses its own rules for multiplayer in order to accommodate 3 or 4. We use the double board or the map series maps in order to divide the sectors up to play balance. IMHO M44 balances well for multiplayer and has provided our group with hours of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I play 1 & 2 player Overlord most of the time with M'44. The rules are easy to follow and the pace of play very good. I just don't understand why anyone would play Overlord using anything other than Overlord rules. IMO, you're missing out on the added tension and quality of play that Overlord rules add to Overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official multiplayer game is Memoir '44: Operation Overlord. It includes the Overlord card deck, but not a second board. Typically, players will buy a second base game, which gives you the second board and enough figures to play larger scenarios. The Overlord game does have tokens which can be substituted for figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Nieuwenhuis
Netherlands
Epe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our club we mostly play preprinted Overlords.
Battle map on the table plastic on it and go!

Most of our visitors prefer playing Overlord, playing one on one they can do at home, but playing four against four that's what they come tot the club for. They (and I) enjoy it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Operation Overlord expansion and really like the overlord double deck of command cards for playing overlord. They really make it easy to show who plays what card. The original overlord rules are available to download on the DoW Memoir web site under rules and goodies. Certain cards are playable by either a field general (in charge of a section of the board), or the commander in chief (overall leader of the Axis or Allies). The overlord deck has symbols to show who plays what card. Or you could download my Overlord help sheet and just buy two decks of regular command cards. It is available here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/8ibm8njsaq/M44_O...

I play overlord a lot at gaming conventions and it really is a good way to play, even with two to four players, but really is great with six to eight players.

If you don't own two base games (or don't want to purchase a second), either buy the paper overlord maps that come out every so often (one just came out over the Holidays) or buy one or two winter/desert boards. I own one base game, two W/D boards, and have a friend with a base game. (and I use his too when I go to conventions) the up side to the Operation Overlord expansion is the overlord deck and more dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Overlord is lots of fun, and many veterans play it with only two players. As a multiplayer its fairly simple and no one player has to work too hard if you have all 8 player positions filled. Get the Overlord Expansion and an extra regular board, and you're good to go! It gives you great specialized multiplayer card decks and cardboard counters you can use as minis if you're short. Also of course the multiplayer rules, which are modifications on the standard format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.