Subject: Difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have played several times, how often have you won/lost? Asking because several people in various rules threads have commented on how the game is really hard, but this hasn't been my experience at all.

I've played 4 times, always with 3-5 players; always a 5-mission game.

The first time we lost only because we misread the rules and thought that played cards were removed from the game in the same way cards are lost due to damage; and lost the game when we went through the draw pile the first time. Pretty sure we would have won had we kept playing as we should have.

The other 3 times we won without ever really thinking we were in danger of losing the game. All the games had 0 or 1 failed mission. Have I just been really lucky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the full game 6 times, all 2-player, and have won all 6.

One win was easy. One had a rules error, so we might have still won, but there is no way to know.

The other four all looked hopeless at some point during the game. In one case, we had lost all the shields, and 5 of our 6 hull sections, with the 6th on fire. In another case, we were down to 15 cards in the deck. In 3 of those four wins, we failed 3 missions, and in the other we failed 2.

So my conclusion is: It's in the sweet spot between easy and hard, but with all those failed missions, it takes about 2 hours to play, which is pretty long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the game gets easier with more players. I suspect you'll win about 75% of the time with 4+ players.

But the game can be swingy. Depending on when you get certain missions, you can cruise through them, or have no chance to complete them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the 1-player (1-character) game! It's hard to get over 4 missions.

Although, I once got up to 9 missions by running my hand+deck down to 8 cards (as Uhura), being careful to keep Dilithium, Trilithium, and Spock in the deck. That meant that I drew the entire deck every single turn, could play Spock to prevent enemies from appearing every single turn, and could rebuild something almost every single turn. Many missions could not be completed because they required command symbols I no longer had, but I just waited for the timer to run out on those, until a mission came up that I could complete. I think I completed probably 5 missions like that (bringing the total to 9 for that game), with no enemies on the board or damage. I would have had 10 completed missions, except a mission came up that causes you to lose the game if the timer runs out, and I did not have enough command symbols to complete it normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.