United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great, but...
Will they fit on the standard map?
Why no minis for the Fyrd units?
It'd be nice to know more about the Viking houses and church effects on gameplay, or are they just for looks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too want to know what is the point for the buildings? Do they actually have game rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume they play a role - giving us this info will only help them out. I don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
I too want to know what is the point for the buildings? Do they actually have game rules?

Cannot answer the "will it all fit on the standard map" question, but the buildings DO have game play impact.

I had the chance to see the prototypes of the unit minis and they worked better than I suspected they would. (I was a doubter originally, was happy with the cubes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Has no-one thought to download the rules available on the kickstarter page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Has no-one thought to download the rules available on the kickstarter page?

The rules available for download on the kickstarter page do not cover the function of the buildings, or some other things like holy places and relics for example.

I'm sure info will become available soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
eddieharr wrote:

Cannot answer the "will it all fit on the standard map" question, but the buildings DO have game play impact.

I had the chance to see the prototypes of the unit minis and they worked better than I suspected they would. (I was a doubter originally, was happy with the cubes.)

Tim, thanks for the speedy answer. How about minis for the Fyrd cubes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:

Tim,

If possible to find out, it would be really nice to know if the plastic building models work well on the standard board that comes with the game.

I'd really hate to spend the extra money, only to discover if I use them I can't fit troops in the same area without problems. It would really bum me out to have spent money on something and then not being able to really use it.

I understand that from a business standpoint you would like to sell as much as possible of everything but if you could possibly provide some pictures of the buildings and troops on both the standard board and the extra large map, it would go a long way in helping people decide on adding them or not.

Additionally I was in the cube group as well. Thinking the miniatures would not work all that great but after seeing them and visualizing how they might be on the map, I think I really might like them and prefer them over the cubes.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Tim of Academy wrote:

Tim,

If possible to find out, it would be really nice to know if the plastic building models work well on the standard board that comes with the game.

I'd really hate to spend the extra money, only to discover if I use them I can't fit troops in the same area without problems. It would really bum me out to have spent money on something and then not being able to really use it.

I understand that from a business standpoint you would like to sell as much as possible of everything but if you could possibly provide some pictures of the buildings and troops on both the standard board and the extra large map, it would go a long way in helping people decide on adding them or not.

Additionally I was in the cube group as well. Thinking the miniatures would not work all that great but after seeing them and visualizing how they might be on the map, I think I really might like them and prefer them over the cubes.

Thanks!

Rake & Pepe & Bill:

I'm going to let you in on some of the secret goings on inside Academy Games... I'm working out of Michigan, and while I've played the game and seen the prototypes, I've not played the game WITH the prototypes... Our experts (Uwe & Gunter) are on a plane coming back from GAMA, so no help there until later.

However, The map isn't as busy as Mare Nostrum is, so I really don't think that space will be an issue. Helping out is the fact that we just moved around the Leader standee on the board, not the whole clot of units with him. We kept that on the invasion card, which made things really manageable.

Regarding the expansion rules, once we know what is 'unlocked', then we can post the rules for them. At the rate we're going, that may happen fairly soon. Once the boss gets on the ground I'll see if I can get a fell for how/when to the expansion rules posted.

Which also means I don't have an answer on the Fyrd as well.

Lots of typing, not sure if it helped you guys much though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Tim, it helped!!! Much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
By my reckoning, some areas (Oop North) are barely 2 cm wide, 7 square cm in total. Now these look like remote places that won't be used, but that's a small area to have a punch up with minis in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great response Tim! Very much appreciated as Pepe said!

I wasn't aware of the invasion card but now that I see that it makes a lot more sense.

Is it safe to assume that the base game comes with with the 7 leader standee's? and any of the additional one's will be reached by stretch goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
By my reckoning, some areas (Oop North) are barely 2 cm wide, 7 square cm in total. Now these look like remote places that won't be used, but that's a small area to have a punch up with minis in...

This is where just using only the leader standee would probably be best and leave all of the invasion units on the invasion card. A much easier and elegant solution than putting all of the troops on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Great response Tim! Very much appreciated as Pepe said!

I wasn't aware of the invasion card but now that I see that it makes a lot more sense.

Is it safe to assume that the base game comes with with the 7 leader standee's? and any of the additional one's will be reached by stretch goals?

Rake,

There will be standees included in the base game. And whatever (whoever) gets unlocked.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

This is where just using only the leader standee would probably be best and leave all of the invasion units on the invasion card. A much easier and elegant solution than putting all of the troops on the board.

Yes I'm seeing that for sure, I guess it depends how that really plays out, as there seems to be plenty of game outside of the leaders too. Especially for the English.

Leaders are, it seems, basically a delivery system for the Vikings. And all the better for it all round. Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like if the Kickstarter reaches $145,000 we'll get Fyrd minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now we know what the churches are for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool to have red or orange plastic churches for the raided ones in the add-on set. If I buy plastic churches, I would like to keep them plastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
It would be cool to have red or orange plastic churches for the raided ones in the add-on set. If I buy plastic churches, I would like to keep them plastic :)

Or maybe 'damaged' ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:
It would be cool to have red or orange plastic churches for the raided ones in the add-on set. If I buy plastic churches, I would like to keep them plastic

How about red AND damaged? If they were just damaged you might not note which churches are whole and which are damaged as you survey the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:
It would be cool to have red or orange plastic churches for the raided ones in the add-on set. If I buy plastic churches, I would like to keep them plastic :)

How about red AND damaged? If they were just damaged you might not note which churches are whole and which are damaged as you survey the board.

OR... place a Cotton ball (touched up with red and black felt-markers) on top of the church!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess Academy will have to come up with minis for the Viking settlement tiles they just announced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:

Hopefully half will come damaged in shipping solving the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked about this:
Academy Games wrote:
A church tile that is looted and burned by the Vikings is removed from the board, flipped to its burned side, and given to the English players. The burned side simply reminds the English that they may discard the tile in order to receive an extra Fyrd card during any battle.

When using the Miniature Buildings Add-On, you simply give the building miniature to the English and they discard the miniature when they use it. We suggest new players keep one of the burned church tiles in front of them to remind them what a burned church is used for.

... so seems the church mini fulfills the role of both sides of the tile, and you just move them depending on if they're destroyed or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.