Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies if this has been discussed. I couldn't find it when I searched the forums.

The rule book states that your are not to draw a new card when someone takes a job or partner during the round. What is the purpose to this?

Do you think it would change the game at all if I ignored the rule?

I like the idea of seeing more jobs and partners during the game.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
Apologies if this has been discussed. I couldn't find it when I searched the forums.

The rule book states that your are not to draw a new card when someone takes a job or partner during the round. What is the purpose to this?

Do you think it would change the game at all if I ignored the rule?

I like the idea of seeing more jobs and partners during the game.

Thoughts?

I think the point is to make them more valuable. If someone takes before you, you have less options. I don't think ignoring this would be huge, but I would have to test with a few games to really know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The main idea was to make them more valuable. If you see a job you like, you might want to grab it quickly, because someone else might take it from you. Similar thing with partners.

Just like in real life, great jobs (and great people) are a bit hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AdrianAbela wrote:
The main idea was to make them more valuable. If you see a job you like, you might want to grab it quickly, because someone else might take it from you. Similar thing with partners.

Just like in real life, great jobs (and great people) are a bit hard to come by.

How does NOT drawing a replacement card prevent this from happening?

The last game I played (3 player), I was last to go in the second round, and both people picked jobs on their first action and I was only left to pick one. I would have picked one of the other jobs, but didn't like my only option that was left.

I think it's more realistic to replenish jobs and partners. There's more than one fish in the sea, and more than one job opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Give it a try and tell me how it goes

If it's more fun for you that way, by all means. It's not going to horribly break anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jackson
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I recall reading about this somewhere, perhaps one of the designer notes from the kickstarter.

One thing was - if those are the only options, you would play it, rather than hold out hoping the other player plays one, and you might get the new option.

Similarly as discussed, it gives benefit to first player to take one, as there are then limited options.

Finally, if you replace them, then you end up just discarding them. Then you may not have had a chance at it anyways if you already took one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe need for a variant there? Perhaps need to use one hourglass to represent job hunting, and causing the empty slots to be replenish, and you will get the first dip to choose what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The level 3 jobs coming out in the first round of adult life is my issue. As a variant, I remove the level 3 jobs from the deck, deal out 3 or 4 cards for the first round of adult life, shuffle the level 3 jobs into the rest of the deck, and put the shuffled deck under the first set of dealt cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian K
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the oportunity to get a level 3 job in the first or second round of the adult age is very interesting.
If you start the game only collecting resources in the teenage years and the first round of old age you might be able to get the level 3 job in the first round. It will cost you a certain amount of stress due to double taking boardgame actions but it is possible.

And if no one wants to/ can take the level 3 job in the first round the situation represents the job market where not everyone can get a job.

I played games with people who wouldn't take a job (not counting the temp job) until third stage of adulthood. They had more time at hand than everybody else and did many projects in that rounds.

That's what's great about this game! You can choose many ways to win and life doesn't always give you the opportunity you want to have, you have to adjust to the given choises
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
ysirian wrote:
I played games with people who wouldn't take a job (not counting the temp job) until third stage of adulthood.

I played a game, where I didn't get a job at all. Worked (haha) out great, since I had time for all the project I could wish for. Jobs are not mandatory - you can plan around having or not having them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian K
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
ysirian wrote:
I played games with people who wouldn't take a job (not counting the temp job) until third stage of adulthood.

I played a game, where I didn't get a job at all. Worked (haha) out great, since I had time for all the project I could wish for. Jobs are not mandatory - you can plan around having or not having them.

Exactly my point!
If you don't want to focus on expensive items or activities you don't need a job to play/ win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have some issue on the mandatory repleneshing jobs at a new Life Track step, Round after Round.
While a Round implies about a decade in the life of the character you are "playing", I understand that it gives the tension of 'taking that job' or having forever lost the opportunity.

But would it not make the game tighter if at new Round all open spaces of job market were filled; and if none were open, the only way to get rid of unwanted job openings would be to spend an HG to wipe the job market, and get a VP for it.
(the VP could stand for economic progress)

This would - in theory - work as a gradual replenishing of the job market, there are far less jobs in the game so you would, played over games, see more different situations. The way the game rules currently are, you just see jobs passing you by round after round without being able to do anything with them while you already have a job and cannot quit or promote.

Combined with splitting the jobs into L1,L2 and L3 stacks, some partners require L2 jobs so it gives an incentive to wipe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for pulling up the old thread but just went though the game and all the rules the other night.

If you’re upset with the only job option left and you really want a job, couldn’t you just spend some STH to discard and replenish the row? That way you’d have three new jobs to choose from (this is a 2e rule I believe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you spend STH on the Jobs/Partners row when there is a card or more missing, you only replace the ones there - you don't draw the full number again (it is clarified in the 2e rulebook).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
If you spend LTH on the Jobs/Partners row when there is a card or more missing, you only replace the ones there - you don't draw the full number again (it is clarified in the 2e rulebook).

Thanks for your response! Right, I see that now. You did mean STH, though correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry for that. I'll edit it to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.