Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One pledge level, everything's included.

Only optional buys are for upgraded components, not exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but on the other hand

No rules, no peer reviews, only gameplay footage is from people paid to get you to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot better than CMONs previous projects, but it's still full of fake stretch goals and KS exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They had me at "58 miniatures".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

Agree completely, until...

agentkuo wrote:

And they ruined it. Why have optional buys in there at all? Just organise a thousand identical boxes, no order can get mixed up or have missing items, simplicity heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolkster
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:

And they ruined it. Why have optional buys in there at all? Just organise a thousand identical boxes, no order can get mixed up or have missing items, simplicity heaven.

Because I don't want the price of the game to be an extra $30 for a neoprene map that I don't want and I don't want to store somewhere. Ditto for other add-ons I don't want to pay for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:
cornixt wrote:

Because I don't want the price of the game to be an extra $30 for a neoprene map that I don't want and I don't want to store somewhere. Ditto for other add-ons I don't want to pay for.

Nor do I, they shouldn't include it in the kickstarter at all. Why can't they just stick it on their website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Campy Creatures campaign. The only additional pledge levels were to get art posters, nothing related to the game at all. Shipping included in the cost of the pledge. Free print and play version of the game to try. 6/7 stretch goals were for component upgrades.

Kiwetin's campaign did them one better though when it came to stretch goals: there were none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they have done it much better than other campaigns.

I fear for their Game of Thrones game. They have already written "Starter Set" on the core box...surprise

Wolkster wrote:
cornixt wrote:

Since these "optional buys" don't add anything to the game (no rules/mechanics/gameplay), they are expensive and they take some space probably they tought that not all people may be interested.

I don't think it's a bad choice. In any case it's better than "Hey you want more? Buy 2 expansions, 5 add ons and 10 accessories. Ah they are Kickstarter exclusives so NOW OR NEVER!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolkster
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Wolkster wrote:
cornixt wrote:

Nor do I, they shouldn't include it in the kickstarter at all. Why can't they just stick it on their website?

Because it's a company's job to make money. When they have it on the KS site they have free advertising to the exact audience that is able and willing to buy more of their product. And history shows that it works, and it works very well. They are using a model that is best for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

Nope.

Ameritrash games pretty much beg for gameplay add-ons. Frex, with Massive Darkness (and Rise of Moloch), all CMON had to do was add more heroes, more monsters, more adventures, etc. You'll definitely see something like that in their upcoming miniatures wargame KS. Ameritrash fans want theme, and most game themes have a *lot* of territory to cover before exhaustion. You're done when you have a fighter, wizard, and thief, right? Nope! You got to add a dwarf, elf, and priest. Done, right? Nope! You got to add alternate gender sculpts, a Barbarian hero, an Archer, and a Ranger. Blah, blah, blah, toss another SG on the pile.

As for Eurogames on KS... why do Eurogames have to be on KS? You can design a good Eurogame with good components and sell it for $50 without shipping. Why are you paying the extra $50 for miniatures when you only wanted the $50 of gameplay? When the color of the plastic matters more than the detail of the sculpt, yeah, you're paying for stuff you don't need. Ameritrash gamers love their plastic man-dollies. But Eurogamers have shown us for *years* that wooden cubes and white European merchants are fine. If a Eurogame sells well, then a deluxe version through retail or KS would work, but, personally, I'd like to know how good a game is and if it's "right for me" BEFORE paying for the deluxe edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can, but they generally don't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
We nostalgically watch "Hocus Pocus"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this where we sing the praises of simple, single-pledge-tier Kickstarters? Empires of the Void II, praise be! A single pledge level gets you everything. No add-ons. No social stretch goals.

I don't mind standard stretch goals, I just get such a weirdly desperate vibe from all social media -related ones I can't help but shudder just a tiny bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

The optional buys are exclusive upgrades.

There's bound to be at least one more clan added to the game that's not KS exclusive, and it's likely they'll add 2-3.
- KS backers can only play 5 player, there's spots on the honor track for 6 players.
- Retail customers can only play 4 player. There's no way retail backers aren't going to have access to at least 2 more clans.
- Each clan has a home province, there are 8 provinces on the board. It makes sense to add 3 more clans to round out the total clans to 8.
- Given current stretch goal progression, there's no way we're unlocking that many clans. Expect the clans expansion(s) to be used to unlock the Kami Unbound expansion and maybe a couple other things for the $100 pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.