1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Female Viking Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: SAQ [+] [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I notice there are a bunch of viking games but rarely do they contain females or children. How about a viking game that isn't about the brute vikings but everyone else in the viking community? Where is their game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
I notice there are a bunch of viking games but rarely do they contain females or children. How about a viking game that isn't about the brute vikings but everyone else in the viking community? Where is their game?

I doubt that a viking game without vikings would be of much universal interest in the market. Viking Kids the Pillaging doesn't seem to have a good flow to it.

But a good game is a good game so I guess you never know....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a historical game, or a fantasy vikings game. I haven't played Blood Rage, so I don't know if they have men and women. I know Rising Sun has more female characters.

If you are looking for historical games, I think we have less written history that references specific women. So we know the names of some of the male vikings who invaded England, but we know less about the women. But based upon the little that is known, I think the closest we could come is Agricola. While not a Viking game, its a game about building up a farm, which is probably what many of the non-warriors were doing. Maybe A Feast for Odin is close to that? I haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is what you're looking for, but In the Name of Odin has male and female heroes that can be recruited. But they are to take on raids. And 1/3 of the minis are female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Verwerft
Belgium
Berlaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desmothenes wrote:
Are you looking for a historical game, or a fantasy vikings game. I haven't played Blood Rage, so I don't know if they have men and women. I know Rising Sun has more female characters.

If you are looking for historical games, I think we have less written history that references specific women. So we know the names of some of the male vikings who invaded England, but we know less about the women. But based upon the little that is known, I think the closest we could come is Agricola. While not a Viking game, its a game about building up a farm, which is probably what many of the non-warriors were doing. Maybe A Feast for Odin is close to that? I haven't played it yet.

Blood Rage does have a female clan to play with: "The Serpents"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Would that not just be a game about an early medieval village?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:

You mean a worker placement farmer/gatherer game? There's a lot of those, but just not without a Viking theme I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an excellent game that simulates pretty well a Viking family colonizing Iceland or Greenland.

Actually, I've long thought the Vikings would make for a fine 4X game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Feast for Odin? Vikings are all of unspecified gender. There's lots of non-combat stuff going on, so you can fill in the blanks however you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How about a viking game that isn't about the brute vikings but everyone else in the viking community?

Jórvík is about the viking artisans and builders who are back home in the village. Occasionally goods come in on boats, and you *can* go off "journeying" for points, but mostly it's about the viking home front.

(This is maybe because it's a retheme of a game about merchants in late-19th century Hamburg. No idea why they chose vikings for the reprint. But they did!)

That said, in response to the first part of your question, the game doesn't show many women, and I think no children. But there are a few female artisans and feast-goers, and not all the men are warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack, you beat me to the punch. A Feast for Odin has hunting, gathering, refining materials, building, raiding, and a non gender-specific Viking theme. Your Vikings can be all women if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Greenland could be an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. As usual in history, the men get to go off and rape and pillage. Meanwhile, the women are left to tend to the mundane life of looking after the family, hoping their men will come home with some booty that will actually make their lives more bearable.
People tend to forget that, without women, nobody comes out.
Good thread indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Shem Phillips has made some cool games about Viking era. They are brute warriors, but also explorers and ship builders. And there are female as well as male characters represented!

Shipwrights of the North Sea
Raiders of the North Sea
Explorers of the North Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
How about a viking game that isn't about the brute vikings but everyone else in the viking community? Where is their game?

Okay. Go design it. Nobody's stopping you.

And, yes, there *are* gamers who asked the same question. Bad Squiddo Games is a one-woman miniatures company promoting "sensibly dressed" female adventurers. Here's their female Viking miniature. Dunno if they have any non-violent ones, or whichever "no true Scotsman" version of a female viking you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
toober wrote:
How about a viking game that isn't about the brute vikings but everyone else in the viking community? Where is their game?

Do I sense some anger here? Not very helpful comment unless you're talking to a games designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Barmybee wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:
toober wrote:

Do I sense some anger here? Not very helpful comment unless you're talking to a games designer.

If so, I'd say it's justified. The OP is ridiculous in multiple ways... as has been pointed out, remove the warriors from the Viking theme and what you're left with is a regular early medieval agricultural society - there is a ton of such games - some are even explicitly about Vikings and are designed by some of the most well-known designers (Jorvik, Feast for Odin). Short-sighted question at best, PC debate provocation at worst...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:

I heard a story on some documentary about viking children and some game. One of them was upset over the game so went home and then returned to murder his rival with an ax. 'Oh he'll make a good Viking' his mother said. It might have been about Iggl Bloodax. You don't get a nicname like 'Blood-Ax' for nothing.

Some Vikings began their pillaging and murdering career at age twelve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Bloodrage has some pretty awesome shield maidens. It's the snake clan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP are you trying to provoke a debate about the dearth of women characters in games or do you really want a village building game with a middle ages theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of Midgard has both male and female viking heroes for players to pick from. It's about defending a community and gaining enough glory to replace its former ruler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:

a friend of mine made this:
Sagas of the Icelanders
it's an RPG based on Powered by the Apocalypse. Story driven and from what I understood it's mostly about family relations, tedious long term missions. And it's historically faithful (I think gender does determine your possibilities in life, like, how it actually was).

Tigrillo wrote:
Greenland could be an option.

or this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about Inis (link below), but it might be something to this effect?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155821/inis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
(I think gender does determine your possibilities in life, like, how it actually was).

4,5,6 You successfully provide your husband with children to carry on the family line.
3 You must endure the shame of barrenness.
1,2 You die in childbirth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
sgosaric wrote:
(I think gender does determine your possibilities in life, like, how it actually was).

4,5,6 You successfully provide your husband with children to carry on the family line.
3 You must endure the shame of barrenness.
1,2 You die in childbirth.

Would play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.