Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Falling Sky and Liberty or Death for COIN titles, and both are in my backlog queue.

I have yet to cut my teeth on the COIN system, so my question is for those who have played both; which is the better of the two for learning the system? Is LoD a bit higher on the complexity scale?

Thanks in advance for any input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
I would say Falling Sky is easier than liberty or death. I would also say that the game is a whole lot easier to learn if you understand the history, that is, if you understand the motives of each faction. For me, this took awhile and it felt like I was moving pieces around the map just for the sake of it. Knowing the motives made learning the system a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reply and suggestion. I'll definitely do some pre-gaming research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
no problem, luckily theres a good blurb in the rulebooks about each faction. What I did when I first learned was play read the rules for FS and played it about 3 times, but i didnt really understand what was going on or understand the strategies for the factions so i put the game away for about 3 months. When i came back i reread the rules and spent more time reading the different factions since I kinda had an idea of the rules i spent more time experimenting on what the factions do and that helped a lot.

The game feels abstracted at first but once you get the rules out of the way the theme starts to bleed through strongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games and both have some of the more complex rule variants (from the "classic" COIN titles) that make them a bit tougher to pick up than the earlier titles.

I personally had a tougher time with FS than LoD for exactly what Vietbtran said - my familiarity with the subject matter - but still I find COIN games easier to pick up than most CDGs and/or hex-based games so really, either game is a great entry into the system.

Enjoy both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Falling Sky, but not LoD. With that being said, I found Falling Sky to be quite easy to learn compared to some of the earlier COIN games covering 20th Century conflicts. I'm not well versed in Roman History, but if you stay mindful of all factions' victory objectives you should have no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Strader
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur with the comments above. I am playing Falling Sky right now and am finding it to be one of the easiest of the COIN titles. I have LoD also, but as yet unplayed based on a similar inquiry to the one you have put up here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
For my two cents: Falling Sky will be better to learn the system as a whole, since basically once you learn how turn order and player actions work you will be equipped to play any of the games. However, Falling Sky leaves out the political Support/Opposition that is shown in the other games for the somewhat similar Tribe alliances. This is one of the few things that differentiate FS from the series.

Then again, the hardest thing about LoD is wrapping your head around the Battle Commands. If you can get that down, then LoD is just as good to learn COIN as FS is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.