13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dr Armitage**spoilers** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nix
msg tools
So the card says
"[Reaction trigger]after you draw a card, discard that card and exhaust Dr Henry Armitage to gain 3 resources"

I would like to clarify if these possible scenarios are possible.

Scenario 1
Player draws weakness Mob enforcer.players uses Armitage to discard mob enforcer to gain 3 resources.

Scenario 2
Player draws Curse of Rougarou.Player discards curse to gain 3 resources after exhausting Armitage.

The difference between the 2 scenarios is one has revelation and the other does not. Is there a stack that gets resolved??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of those possibilities are possible. The rules reference says: "A player may not optionally choose to discard a weakness card from hand, unless a card explicitly specifies otherwise." So you cannot choose to use Dr. Armitage's ability to discard a drawn weakness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ppunkt
msg tools
I had a similar issue: If any card instructs you to discard X cards from your deck and you discard a weakness or revelation card - does it trigger? (The enemy-weaknesses are no revelations)

The rules reference tells us (p. 18):
When an investigator draws an encounter card, that investigator MUST resolve all "REVELATION-" abilities on the card. The occurs before the card enters play, or in the case of a treachery card, before it is placed in the discard pile.

This refers only to the encounter deck. But it would be a fair guess, one should handle his/her own deck the same way, isn't it?

Otherwise the next paragraph of the rules reference states:
When a weakness card enters an investigator's hand, that investigator MUST immediately resolve all revelation abilities on the card as if it were just drawn.

This could be interpreted as: To trigger a revelation card out of the investigator's deck it must enter his/her hand. But I guess that's not true, but it is still considered to be drawn (and thus activated the revelation abilities) although it may come from any area, including the deck.

I play it that way:
Drawing a card, resolve revelation immediately, discard it (or put it into play)

The Action Window for Henry Armaitage seems to be between revelation and the following. As three resources are clearly a change of the game state you maybe may perform his action also, if the drawn card is discarded nevertheless. So for your scenarios:

(Mob Enforcer) - Draw, (no revelation), Armitage: Discard, + 3 Resources, canceled: Put into play
(Rougarou) - Draw, revelation: (Do whatever it says, I don't own Rougarou yet) if it is still in your hand (but not yet part of your hand of cards) Armitage: Discard, + 3 Resources,

a third scenario, which should work out:
(Paranoia) - Draw, revelation: Discard all of your resources, Armitage: Discard, + 3 Resources, canceled: discard paranoia (although you did it before)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ppunkt
msg tools
Quote:
Neither of those possibilities are possible. The rules reference says: "A player may not optionally choose to discard a weakness card from hand, unless a card explicitly specifies otherwise." So you cannot choose to use Dr. Armitage's ability to discard a drawn weakness.

I would say the weakness is not optionally chosen and Dr. Ermitage is a card, that explicitly tells you to discard a specific (just drawn) card. But I am not totally sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timppunkt wrote:
Quote:

I would say the weakness is not optionally choose an d Dr. Ermitage is a card, that explicitly tells you to discard a specific (just drawn) card. But I am not totally sure.

"Explicitly specifies otherwise" means that it explicitly tells you that you can discard a drawn weakness, not just that it tells you can generally discard the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card of effect tells you to discard cards from a deck, then those cards are never "drawn" and never trigger Revelation effects unless otherwise noted by the effect forcing you to discard.

Armitage however resolves after you have drawn a card. So the card will have fully entered your hand, thereby triggering any Revelation effects. So long story short, you can never use Armitage to discard a weakness you've drawn, but if something forces you to discard the top of your deck or a random card from your hand, Revelations on weaknesses will not trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timppunkt wrote:
Quote:

I would say the weakness is not optionally chosen and Dr. Ermitage is a card, that explicitly tells you to discard a specific (just drawn) card. But I am not totally sure.

Reaction triggers are always optional though. So by choosing to activate the reaction trigger, you are optionally choosing the card to be discarded. It just happens that Armitage specifies which card you discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ppunkt
msg tools
Okay, that makes perfectly sense. I just put him in a wrong (not existing) action window... too bad ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
iwallace wrote:

Reaction triggers are always optional though. So by choosing to activate the reaction trigger, you are optionally choosing the card to be discarded. It just happens that Armitage specifies which card you discard.

Armitage's reaction is not discarding the card as an effect, but rather as a cost. That makes a difference. In order to pay the cost you need to be able to choose to discard a weakness, which is prohibitted by the rules. So you can't pay it and you can't use that reaction when drawing a weakness. If only exhausting Armitage was the cost and the discard was part of the effect, then there would be a good argument for being able to use the power to be able to discard weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
For clarity, from Matt Newman:

"A player cannot optionally choose to discard a weakness from their hand. Put another way, weaknesses can only be discarded from your hand if it is a random discard.

In this case, you could not trigger Dr. Armitage’s ability, because part of the cost is discarding Dark Memory from your hand. For the purposes of weaknesses, this cost is still considered an 'optional discard.'"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Versace
Australia
flag msg tools
You draw a card from the Encounter Deck each round. Can Armitage's power be used to discard these cards?

After reading the above then 'Revelation' text may activate first but the rest of the card could be discarded for resources.

I admit this would make the card extremely powerful - but I've already just found out he can't be used to discard weaknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomstar wrote:
You draw a card from the Encounter Deck each round. Can Armitage's power be used to discard these cards?

After reading the above then 'Revelation' text may activate first but the rest of the card could be discarded for resources.

I admit this would make the card extremely powerful - but I've already just found out he can't be used to discard weaknesses.

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Doomstar wrote:

"Draw a card," means drawing a card from your deck. It's the same reason you can't choose to draw an encounter card during the upkeep phase's framework card draw, or off Cryptic Research.

If an effect refers to drawing an encounter card, it says so, as on Delve too Deep or Drawn to the Flame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.