J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I find this creepy as hell. I cannot imagine, for instance, getting a text from my old friend Eddie, who has been in his grave for almost three years now. Or my much younger friend Steve, who died in 2004 of a brain tumor at the age of 34. On the other hand, I think I have a life without Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, or the rest of social media. So what does an old fart like me know (except those damn kids better stay off my lawn!)

http://money.cnn.com/mostly-human/dead-irl/?iid=hp-stack-dom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh autoplay video and such an annoying one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very compelling story from Black Mirror deals with this exact thing. One of my favorite of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuck, creepy.

My email account still auto-fills my brother's email address in for me whenever I start an email to somebody whose name starts with "S", even though he's been dead nearly five years now. It would be even worse to get messages from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the Commonwealth series by Peter F Hamilton. They created ANA (Advanced Neural Activity Network) and basically made sims of everyone that could be downloaded and reuploaded to shells. Sort of both a man made afterlife, heaven, and backup method for those who haven't finished with reality. It's got that high beyond vibe that you kinda get in A Fire Upon the Depths but the galaxy isn't as restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more elaborate, and would probably be weird to encounter, but I'm sympathetic to the sentiment.

One thing that I'd like to do, if I just give myself the time, is to write down a series of letters to my daughters that are intended to be opened at scheduled future dates, say every decade, specifically for the purpose of me "being there" for them long after I pass away.

With the project in the OP I guess the main challenge I'd have is that it is more effective the more that you expose your inner most thoughts to a digital medium, and I'm wary of committing that much to big data analysis in the coming decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is similar to Dumbledore's potrait talking to Snape and Potter in book 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely going to figure out how be here bothering BGG'ers long after I'm dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I'm definitely going to figure out how be here bothering BGG'ers long after I'm dead.

Are you going the cloning or insemination route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Are you going the cloning or insemination route?

I'd bet on venereal disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
A very compelling story from Black Mirror deals with this exact thing. One of my favorite of the series.

The BSG spin-off, Caprica, was pretty much centered on this premise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
One thing that I'd like to do, if I just give myself the time, is to write down a series of letters to my daughters that are intended to be opened at scheduled future dates, say every decade, specifically for the purpose of me "being there" for them long after I pass away.

Consider doing them in more of a legacy game style: "OPEN WHEN ROE V. WADE GETS OVERTURNED," "OPEN THE FIRST TIME YOU GET ARRESTED," etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.