Andrew Daley
Australia
flag msg tools
Just played the game tonight and it is a fun game!
So looking at started out with a few cards to work up to decks. I obviously need the core box. I just wondering how many core boxes would be optimal. I have have a chance to almost purchase two boxes from the price of one and wonder if it is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Total randomly Braxton...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely purchase 3 core sets. Having the option to run 3 cards of the same character/location/attachment/event is ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree - you won't regret buying 3 cores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you plan to sleeve your player decks, then I highly recommend buying 2 core sets (if you plan to play with up to 4 players), then print out some photocopy proxies for the cards you don't have 3 of (like Unexpected Courage) and simply slip those into the card sleeves on top of another card.

I think 3 cores might be a bit excessive if you're only playing occasionally with minor deckbuilding, if you don't often play with more than 2 people, or if you have space issues.

If you want to do serious power-deckbuilding, or play with 3-4 players, or if you have a lot of space and can fit everything, or don't plan to ever sleeve your player cards, then get 3 cores for sure .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
creator1113 wrote:
(like Unexpected Courage)

Wait, what? Is this card in EVERY game now?

Two cores to not hate it in the long run. Three is bliss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Total randomly Braxton...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ok with using proxy copies, then 2 is fine. Personally, I like the real cards, but that's just me. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
creator1113 wrote:

I caught that too. It made me have to scroll up to double check what forum I was browsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
creator1113 wrote:

Based on the entire wording of his post, I would guess that he's mistakenly think this thread is about Lord of the Rings.

-There is no card called Unexpected Courage in A Game of Thrones.
-There are very few cards you will have three copies of out of two cores.
-You technically don't need two cores to play with four players.

A lot of people have the idea of buying one core and supplementing it with chapter packs to have enough cards for 8 mono-faction decks. It's a bad idea, because the core cards are both fundamental to many effective decks, and represent more prominent people and places from the series. A mono-faction deck from three cores is a much better representation of that faction, both in flavor and in mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

Sounds a lot like Arkham, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somaluna wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

Sounds a lot like Arkham, too!

But three Arkhams would be silly. Get either two or four!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pereira
Australia
flag msg tools
I am looking into potentially playing this with my friend. Is this 3 copies per person? I'm hoping it doesn't require 4-6 copies to play it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klex wrote:
I am looking into potentially playing this with my friend. Is this 3 copies per person? I'm hoping it doesn't require 4-6 copies to play it well.

If you aren't playing the same factions, then you should be good for the most part, except for some neutrals. If you find the neutrals are a problem, you can proxy some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're playing Melee, then the Neutrals shouldn't be a problem, as you get extra copies of Roseroad, Kingsroad, Superior Claim, and Rattleshirt's Raiders - which are the most likely cards you would want to have in multiple different Melee decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a guy who sells the singles, it might be worth checking out if you just want a few cards for deck building. I've bought and sold some Dice Masters from http://www.borntoplaygames.com/.

They have a bunch of Living Card Game singles, I don't play any of them but FWIW they are out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.