Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Devourer Below rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi - I'm in the process of setting up the scenario The Devourer Below. It's saying I can select one of four Encounter Sets at random. But some of the sets have more than the others, so surely I would choose the one with least cards. Or - without spoiling please! - are some of the cards in the smaller sets eviler than others? Is that the point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All four of the "Agents of X" decks should consist of four cards each. However each set is a different mix of enemies and treacheries. Whether or not they are "eviler" than others is really going to depend more on the investigators, and how they can handle different encounters from the encounter deck.

Also it should be noted that the instructions say to set it up randomly and facedown so that you don't actually know which deck you've shuffled in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing wouldn't be random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really must learn to count, and read!

Of course, those four sets all have four cards. So the phrase 'Randomly Choose' means sort them into sets, turn them upside down, mix them around (or get a family member to do that) and then pick at random.

Cool, I'm there!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like to maximize the element of surprise, so I put all four sets in the deck. Then when I finally pull draw an encounter card from one of the sets that becomes "the" set for that play through. From that point any encounter cards (be they treachery or enemy) drawn from the other sets are immediately discarded and I draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricedwlit wrote:
Personally I like to maximize the element of surprise, so I put all four sets in the deck. Then when I finally pull draw an encounter card from one of the sets that becomes "the" set for that play through. From that point any encounter cards (be they treachery or enemy) drawn from the other sets are immediately discarded and I draw another card.

I don't understand why that would be more surprising than leaving the other three sets facedown with your other unused cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
ricedwlit wrote:

I don't understand why that would be more surprising than leaving the other three sets facedown with your other unused cards.

I left out the fact that I have two core sets and so have all three core scenarios always set up. So there aren't any set aside card decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.