Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Saltlands» Forums » General

Subject: First play, first impression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Not a full review!

First play last night with 2 players on the small map. Healer and Shaman picked for thematic reasons alone.

We lost and had a lot of fun! The theme is amazing, and was enjoyable on its own. The game works really well. Lots of decisions, some luck needed but all fits the theme. You don't know what you will find but can build a strategy around what you have. Attacking a big group of raiders is a gamble, but can pay off big if you find the right items (water and a mortar? Yes please!)

We traded landsails out early for gas, but that ended up being a mistake because we couldn't move fast enough. Very cool mechanic, there. Crew, but not too many, was essential. Weapons are very cool. We enjoyed the dual use choices: do I scrap the card or not? Can we make it work? What combos will get us through another turn? The fact that death could happen at any moment added a lot of fun and tension.

Some fun thematic moments:
Setting a minefield and then firing a flare gun.
Driving raiders into mountains using poison gas!
Getting one hex away from victory but running out of movement.

Some critiques:
How do you pick raider activation? We ended up randomizing it to make it harder and more thematic.

The rulebook is unclear about how to separate cards for set-up. Vehicle, crew, and victory cards need to be set aside. Right?

There are more start tokens than get used on the small map, unless we made a mistake. It wasn't a problem, but could have been. There are too many rumor tokens as well.

Exploration items don't seem very useful, on the small map. Maybe remove for small game?

Movement should be interruptible. We will probably house rule this.

At least some vehicle slots that don't effect hand limits would've been nice.

Play time was long (3 hrs.) but this was due to not knowing the rules. The final few rounds went much faster than the first couple.

tldr: Super fun, can't wait to play again!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good timing, as I just played a 2-player game last night and agree with most of your statements. Here are some of my comments:

I agree that I don't understand order of raider activation. Also, with two players, it seems like player 1 always gets the first two and player two gets the remaining one plus weather. I don't think that order ever changes.

I make separate piles as you described.

There are exactly enough start tokens to cover the 3 start tiles. Remember that there are small start tokens and large start tokens.

I agree that exploration is NOT rewarded in this game. The few extra tokens also means more spawn points.

My favorite part is the chain reactions - kill a raider, get cards to kill more raiders. Using refreshes and multiple crew, I have taken out 6 raiders in a turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drozdy András
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:
tldr: Super fun, can't wait to play again!

Great to hear you liked it!

Soldier wrote:
The rulebook is unclear about how to separate cards for set-up. Vehicle, crew, and victory cards need to be set aside. Right?

Yes. Just look at the picture on page 2 of the rulebook for a practical way to setup the cards.

Soldier wrote:
There are more start tokens than get used on the small map, unless we made a mistake. It wasn't a problem, but could have been. There are too many rumor tokens as well.

The back of each token is marked with a icon showing a large or small map. Set aside the tokens with the large map shown when playing on the small map.

Soldier wrote:
Movement should be interruptible. We will probably house rule this.

This will make the game much easier and turns a somewhat longer. Feel free to experiment, though I would strongly recommend playing a few games and getting a hang of it before changing much.

Rodzilla68 wrote:
I agree that I don't understand order of raider activation. Also, with two players, it seems like player 1 always gets the first two and player two gets the remaining one plus weather. I don't think that order ever changes.


This is not correct, with 2 players there are 4 types of raiders in play: Speedster; Pickup; Bulldozer; Truck.

Lets look at an example:
1st player: Activates any two raider types of his choice ie.: Pickups then Buldozers
2nd player: Activates the remaining two raider types ie.: Truck, then Speedster
1st player: All raiders are activated, so he performs a weather phase, this will trigger round 2. Now all raiders are available to activate, he chooses the Pickups to activate.
2nd player: Has three raider types to choose from. He activates the Trucks. Then he activates the Speedsters.
...
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I read that wrong and thought that there were only 3 vehicles. We made it easier on ourselves and still lost!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rottensteiner
Austria
flag msg tools
DAndras wrote:

Lets look at an example:
1st player: Activates any two raider types of his choice ie.: Pickups then Buldozers
2nd player: Activates the remaining two raider types ie.: Truck, then Speedster
1st player: All raiders are activated, so he performs a weather phase, this will trigger round 2. Now all raiders are available to activate, he chooses the Pickups to activate.
2nd player: Has three raider types to choose from. He activates the Trucks. Then he activates the Speedsters.
...


Oh. I understood this way:

Round 1:
Player 1: Activates e.g A and B (raideraction=movement and/or fight of A+B, then placement of A and B on free spots)
Player 2: Activates the remaining two C and D (raideraction of C+D, then placement on free spots)
Player 1: Weatherphase (no raideraction?, after that remove damage cards)

Round 2:
Player 2: Activates A and C (raideraction A and C, if still on board, placement of A and C)
Player 1: Activates the remaining B and D (raideraction B and D, if still on board, placement of B and D)
Player 2: Weatherphase (no raideraction, after that remove damage cards)

Round 3:
Player 1: Activates A and B (or C or D)
.
.


Edit:
Three player game: (activation which one is A, B, c is chosen by Players)
Round1:
Player 1: activates Raider A - raideraction A, placement A on free spots
Player 2: activates Raider B - raideraction B, placement B on free spots
Player 3: activates Raider C - raideraction C, placement C on free spots
Player 1: no activation possible- weatherphase, no raider action, removal of damage cards

Round2:
Player 2: activates Raider A- raideraction A if there is any A on board, placement A on free spots
player 3: activates Raider B- raideraction B if there is any B on board, placement B on free spot
Player 1: activates Raider C- raideraction C if there is any C on board, placement of C on free spots
Player 2: no activation possible- weatherphase, no raideraction, removal of damagecards


Edit for sologame:

Round 1: Activates A,B,C - no action because no raiders on board in 1st round, placement A, B, C on free spots, weatherphase, removal of the damage cards
Round 2: Activates A,B,C- Raideractions for all remaining Raiders, placement A, B, C on free spots, Weatherphase, removal of damage cards
Round 3: Activates A,B,C- Raideractions for all remaining Raiders, placement A, B, C on free spots, Weatherphase, removal of damage cards
...
Right this way?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAndras wrote:


This is not correct, with 2 players there are 4 types of raiders in play: Speedster; Pickup; Bulldozer; Truck.

Lets look at an example:
1st player: Activates any two raider types of his choice ie.: Pickups then Buldozers
2nd player: Activates the remaining two raider types ie.: Truck, then Speedster
1st player: All raiders are activated, so he performs a weather phase, this will trigger round 2. Now all raiders are available to activate, he chooses the Pickups to activate.
2nd player: Has three raider types to choose from. He activates the Trucks. Then he activates the Speedsters.
...


So we count the weather as a "activation"?

I thought that with 2 characters it is like:
1st player - activate two raiders
2nd player - activate the remaining raiders
1st player - weather phase
2nd player - activate two raiders
1st player - activate the remaining raiders
2nd player weather phase
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.