mbmbmbmbmb
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Read about the system here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/129507/outside-scope-bgg... where you can also find links to the files.

Here's a demonstration:

I have tried it with the Labyrinth base game and, granting that one play isn't much of a test, it works quite smoothly. Some things to keep in mind:

1. The "C" result mandating an event can be confusing in some circumstances. Remember that the game rules specifically forbid a player of one faction from deliberately choosing the event associated with the other faction. So in those situations where none of the events are playable, one plays the lowest Op-value card which of course would then trigger any opposing-faction events.

2. Even though you split the deck between both factions, it is still considered a shared deck, so when one player runs out of cards in his C deck early, he'll need to replace them with cards from the other's deck when he needs to replace cards. Since the game end triggers on running out of cards, after a turn is complete you will need to count the remaining cards and if they don't total up to the cards that each player would need for the next turn, the game is over (or moves the deck-number counter).

3. I'm not sure what to do with the U.S. final card rule. Two possibilities: 1. On what would be the U.S.' final card, just roll the method die like usual and choose from the possibilities as your final card and play, discard, or hold it. 2. If you want to keep in the spirit of the final-card rule and force a U.S. conundrum with a single card, roll the method die. If it is a "C" result, the final card is the one in the C spot. If the result is a range of 2-3 cards, then just dice with a regular d6 between them to narrow it to one card and make your play, discard, hold choice with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
two things:

1. I would have never thought to use this system on a game that already has a robust solo rule-set (bot) like Labyrinth

2. this says a lot about Joe's system that you can incorporate it into a game like Labyrinth.

ok, i lied, three things....

3. I've played this with PoG a few times and love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
two things:

1. I would have never thought to use this system on a game that already has a robust solo rule-set (bot) like Labyrinth

Apparently the expansion solo system is quite good, but I haven't experienced it. While I don't dislike the original solo system, others do (including one guy who wrote quite the screed based on only experiencing it solo) and I can kinda sympathize that the radicalization makes it like a board-game version of whack-a-mole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, The Awakening bot is a huge improvement over the original bot. I use it for all Labyrinth games, not just the expansion.

I'm curious to see if Joe's system can be used for games like Washington's War, For the People, Wilderness War, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
Yes, The Awakening bot is a huge improvement over the original bot. I use it for all Labyrinth games, not just the expansion.

I'm curious to see if Joe's system can be used for games like Washington's War, For the People, Wilderness War, etc..
The new version of the CDG Solo Method shouldn't have any problems with the games you mention. The new Method is, in essence, a card choice selection mechanism, which reduces the amount of possible card choices mostly to 2 or 3 cards. In certain instances, the player may choose from 4 or 5 cards. Most importantly, the new Method gives the player the last word as to which card, among those eligible, can be played. This addresses one of the problems that plagued the original method, where a die roll determined a specific card to be played, sometimes a card which had no relevance with what was happening on the map, with disastrous effects on play balance.

At the same time, the new Method provides uncertainty as to the identity of 20% to 80% of the cards of the side the player is not currently playing. The original method only provided uncertainty levels of 20%-40%.

In the new Method, each side has a "hand" of five cards, which are placed in Spaces A, B, C, D, E, with the caveat that Space C is also the Draw Pile. When a result is obtained that includes the "C", flip the top card of the Draw Pile (like in the COIN games) and decide which of the cards is played.

Take, for instance, For the People. These would be the possible Method die roll results:

(1) ABC: Select one of these cards (3 cards to choose from)
(2) CDE: Select one of these cards (3 cards to choose from)
(3) AB: Select one of these 2 cards (2 cards to choose from)
(4) DE: Select one of these 2 cards (2 cards to choose from)
(5) C(face-up/Jolly Roger): Select the C card or any face-up card, to be played solely for the event. If there are no events playable for the side, or the player does not wish to play an event, play the lowest Ops valued card. (Here, there is a minimum of 2 to a max of 5 cards to choose from, depending on number of face-up cards)
(6) C(face-up/Event): Select the C card or any face-up card to be played for the event. If all events are of the opposing side, play the lowest Ops-valued card for any other purpose.(Here, there is a minimum of 2 to a max of 5 cards to choose from, depending on number of face-up cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stukajoe wrote:
reemer wrote:

The new version of the CDG Solo Method shouldn't have any problems with the games you mention. The new Method is, in essence, a card choice selection mechanism, which reduces the amount of possible card choices mostly to 2 or 3 cards. In certain instances, the player may choose from 4 or 5 cards. Most importantly, the new Method gives the player the last word as to which card, among those eligible, can be played. This addresses one of the problems that plagued the original method, where a die roll determined a specific card to be played, sometimes a card which had no relevance with what was happening on the map, with disastrous effects on play balance.

At the same time, the new Method provides uncertainty as to the identity of 20% to 80% of the cards of the side the player is not currently playing. The original method only provided uncertainty levels of 20%-40%.

In the new Method, each side has a "hand" of five cards, which are placed in Spaces A, B, C, D, E, with the caveat that Space C is also the Draw Pile. When a result is obtained that includes the "C", flip the top card of the Draw Pile (like in the COIN games) and decide which of the cards is played.

Take, for instance, For the People. These would be the possible Method die roll results:

(1) ABC: Select one of these cards (3 cards to choose from)
(2) CDE: Select one of these cards (3 cards to choose from)
(3) AB: Select one of these 2 cards (2 cards to choose from)
(4) DE: Select one of these 2 cards (2 cards to choose from)
(5) C(face-up/Jolly Roger): Select the C card or any face-up card, to be played solely for the event. If there are no events playable for the side, or the player does not wish to play an event, play the lowest Ops valued card. (Here, there is a minimum of 2 to a max of 5 cards to choose from, depending on number of face-up cards)
(6) C(face-up/Event): Select the C card or any face-up card to be played for the event. If all events are of the opposing side, play the lowest Ops-valued card for any other purpose.(Here, there is a minimum of 2 to a max of 5 cards to choose from, depending on number of face-up cards).

Hi José.

Did you think about to team up with Mark Herman and publish these solo variants with his games that are (mostly) excellent products for multi player but actually are train wrecks on the solo player part...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.