Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme of the game is based on Lovecraft, which is public domain. But I doubt that the whole thematic content of the game is public domain.

There are some things which I do not really doubt like monsters and certain artifacts like the necronomicon. But what about the characters? I know certain allies in Arkham Horror came from the books, but I doubt it's the case of all characters? Is there other things that were made up by FFG.

The reason why I ask is that I had my Eldritch Express print and play game. I thought that it could be eventually interesting to publish the game on game crafters, but to do so, I need to redo the art, but I might also need to rename other elements which I am not sure yet what they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The investigators are definitely all a product of FFG's version of the mythos universe (the 'arkham files' games), but many of the named items / NPCs / etc. are not.

The Necronomicon, as an example, is found all over the place. Rex Murphy, on the other hand, is not.

Beyond the investigators themselves, I'm not sure what exactly else would be specifically under FFG. You'd likely have to reference specifics with the work that the mythos is derived from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Motoningennoken wrote:
I think FFG is pretty hardcore on copyright issues. IIRC they applied enough pressure that Arkham Investigators had to be rebranded to Mythos Tales. And "Arkham" should be pretty much public domain. In the same vein I'd wager they'd take issue at the use of Eldritch in the title.

Then again I might be wrong.

As I recall it, FFG didn't apply any pressure to cause the rebranding of Arkham Investigators. The rebranding to Mythos Tales was a pre-emptive move to ensure that no disputes occurred once the game was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

The reason why I ask is that I had my Eldritch Express print and play game. I thought that it could be eventually interesting to publish the game on game crafters, but to do so, I need to redo the art, but I might also need to rename other elements which I am not sure yet what they are.

It may depend on the game and what it does.

Eldritch Express as a game playing a same-day delivery service for unspeakable tomes would probably be fine. Eldritch Express as people visiting the places of EH and fighting to thwart the same entities is obviously a bit more contentious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Bates
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:

Eldritch Express as a game playing a same-day delivery service for unspeakable tomes would probably be fine.

I love this idea. The tomes can slowly drive their recipients insane, which makes their future orders more illogical and harder to fulfill, which makes you insane. And then tentacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea for the book delevery. Else I thought of a game when you manage the library in the great hall of celano. (since I work in a library)

Sometimes, the wording could be copyrighted. For example, I read a couple of lovecraft stories and in one of the story, I think a character encountered a dimensional shambler, but it has never been explicitly stated as a dimensional shambler.

So possibly another work somewhere named that creature like that. So it becomes complicated to know which mythos word is public domain or not.

Of course, nobody can argue for a "Shotgun" or an "Enchanted Jewelry"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Cthulhu Wars optional boards is the Library of Caelano... goo

Quote:
The Library of Celaeno Expansion contains a new map with two figures, the Librarian and the Custodian. This map is inside the cyclopean alien facility in the Hyades, renowned in Lovecraft Lore. This map includes Special Collections, where the first player to build a Gate can seize amazing new powers in the form of extra spellbooks. But beware! If you lose control of your Special Collection, your new spellbook becomes overdue, and the terrifying Librarian menaces you.

The Custodian cleans up chambers by moving units in the Area to an Area termed the Oubliette. Over the course of the game, this Oubliette tends to get filled with units, Sometimes fights break out.

The Librarian can only be activated if a player has an overdue Book, in which case it can wreak some real damage. Fortunately, you can mitigate the damage by returning the Book, though not necessarily eliminate all threat.

The Library of Celaeno introduces a new mechanism in Cthulhu Wars: Silence tokens. These are are used to trigger certain special actions including moving the Custodian, Librarian, and triggering some of the special Library books on this map.

Too bad the librarian isn't an orangutan, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.