Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR - Asylum Day Setup is probably changing to:
Randomize Nurses until there are at least as many Nurses on the board as the number of characters.

Hi folks,

As you may know I redesigned/revised the scenarios that are now available on dropbox. I spotted a few issues but hadn't even seen the physical game at that point so may have missed some issues.

One I missed is this:
Asylum Field Day has a problem when played with fewer than 5 characters.

The scenario requires you to defeat (at least) as many Nurses as there are characters, but nurses spawn very infrequently and when they do they are often in the 3rd spawn slot on the movement card which means that they are not spawned if you are playing with fewer than 5 characters.

i.e. With 4 players it's very difficult to get enough Nurses to spawn, with 3 it's nigh on impossible.

I've suggested to the designers that a change should be made, and suggested one or both of:
- Changing the Movement Card spawn rule to:
If there are fewer than 5 characters and a Movement Card shows 3 monsters, only 2 need to be spawned so you may miss one out (players' choice). Of course, you can still spawn all 3 if you want for a little more challenge!

- Changing the Asylum Field Day setup to:
Randomize Nurses until there are at least as many Nurses on the board as the number of characters.

The designers have said straight off that they think that this change in setup is great.

I'd expect this change to make it to the revised scenarios - heck if I'd realised that there was an issue it would have been in the 1st copy of the revised versions that I sent to Titan Forge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
- Changing the Movement Card spawn rule to:
If there are fewer than 5 characters and a Movement Card shows 3 monsters,
only 2 need to be spawned so you may miss one out (players' choice).

This is what I house ruled - it works well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Garfield
Germany
flag msg tools
Changes sound good, especially to randomize the needed number of nurses makes a lot of sense.

I used the house rule: "...number of nurses = player number OR no nurse be left and all other goals are fulfilled."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
irrstern wrote:
Changes sound good, especially to randomize the needed number of nurses makes a lot of sense.

I used the house rule: "...number of nurses = player number OR no nurse be left and all other goals are fulfilled."

Yeah I ended up calling a playthrough a virtual win on the 13th turn, with the Warden at A10 and the 5 scenario targets at:
Scavengers Defeated - target 4 - achieved 8
Patients Defeated - target 4 - achieved 5
Nurses Defeated - target 3 - achieved 0 (no nurses had spawned)
Items Gained - target 4 - achieved 8
Memories Gained - target 4 - achieved 4

Looking through the Movement Cards yet to be drawn, it would have been 13 more turns before a Nurse legitimately appeared!

But I thought that it needed addressing officially as:

1 - the scenario often gets mentioned as being suitable for a 1st scenario, and so could easily lead to great frustration on a player's 1st game (which could be enough to put them off forever).

2 - Some people really hate using house rules, and won't use them. Since the scenarios are being/have been revised it seems silly not to address it officially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had slightly different problem with this scenario. We played on Normal difficulty with 4 characters, Field Day was our second triggered scenario. The green and blue stars effects, which remove progress from objectives, show on so many Movement cards, that it made it almost impossible for us to complete anything. Unless you can game it by pointing an objective to decrease in which you have no progress (for example if we had 2 scavengers killed, 1 nurse, 2 patients and no memory tokens, we have to point one to decrease and we choose memory tokens - we didn't play that way of course) I can't see how we could've succeeded with the movement cards we drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.