Steve Erwin
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[ TL;DR: I want a companion app for Robinson Crusoe similar to the one built for First Martians. ]

Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island has long been a favorite of mine. It has always fascinated me how it's a storytelling system with the ability to insert different story modules, rather than simply a standalone single story gaming experience.

With a companion app similar to what he has built for First Martians, Ignacy would have a backend delivery system with the ability to deliver more stories directly to gamers long after the initial purchase of the game. Such an incredible value!

If such an app could be created to complement the existing Robinson Crusoe board game, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Those who do not prefer apps or phones anywhere near their board games need not buy it... but for those of us who want this, here's some ideas on what functionality it could provide to the Robinson Crusoe game. Most of these are functions that exist in the First Martians app.

* Download the Robinson Crusoe app and throw your cards away. No more shuffling.
* Option to set the difficulty (different event card sets allowing for a family game, normal game, hardcore game)
* Update unbalanced cards, typos as they are found
* Notify players of rules fixes, hyperlink to an option to download new rulebook PDF, or a sticker to overlay existing rulebook
* Multi-part event chains
* Customizable character names
* Printable personalized character cards with a hand-sketched filter applied to your photo (because cameras didn't exist during the Age of Exploration).
* Ability to save campaign game states
* Download / Print / purchase legacy campaign packs.
* In-app expansion purchases.
* The ability to add an easier intro scenario to ease players into the game mechanics.
* Ambient sound effects based on event or time of day / phase of the game! (Night time jungle, fire crackling, digging, wild beasts, rustling leaves, wind, waves, storms, stacking wood, hammering planks, the interior of a cave, the sound of a river, ringing the bell, creepy fog, tribal drums, opening a treasure chest, rattling bones...)

Realizing that Portal Games just finished 2 full years of play-testing, and that concepts like event chains are very difficult to test and troubleshoot, it would take a tremendous effort to retrofit something like this onto a pre-existing board game. They would likely want to wait and see how successful they were with this approach with First Martians before investing more into this strategy. But if it works as planned, this would be a great addition to a well-loved board game IMHO.

So if you like the idea, give a thumbs up! Maybe with enough interest... who knows? Maybe someday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally interested! I haven't played the game, but it's in the mail.

Anything that adds scenarios to games, whether it's an expansion or an app is a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me. I like my cards and it works fine without the need for an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was meant to have an app, they would have made an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Djordjevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nope, no app for this one. Would not like it at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if it was optional and the game could be played without it.

If it's optional, I'd give it a try.

If it was required, pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Only if it was optional and the game could be played without it.

If it's optional, I'd give it a try.

If it was required, pass.

The game does not require an app now, and so optional it would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 Pro App!

Would do any harm? No, the game is playable without.
Would do any good? Yes, for whom likes it no more shuffling, no more checking where next event is, easier and faster setup, unlimited possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
If it was meant to have an app, they would have made an app.

Or they didn't have the funds available at the time to make an App for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron F-N
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like the look and feel of the actual cards, the time this app would save on set up time alone would be great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Hancock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be great for the game. I was skeptical about board game / app hybrids but after trying Mansions of Madness 2nd edition, I think it would be a wonderful addition for this sort of game. For me, it doesn't take away the social aspect and turn the game into a videogame like many often claim apps would do. Everyone is still focused on the board and discussing what's going on and what we should do, and the only difference is that when someone is telling the group what terrible thing just happened in their part of the island, they're reading it off of a tablet or phone instead of a card.

I completely understand people wanting to be able to flip and shuffle physical cards: that's something I would miss as well. But an app that speeds up the card setup and event handling would make it much easier for me to get this game to the table. Moreover, while Robinson Crusoe has a good amount of scenarios which are all hard enough to give you plenty of replayability, it'd be great to open the game up to additional scenarios that could be added "easily" compared to going through the process of printing, packaging, and shipping a traditional expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nope. I love the look and tactile nature of the cards. Plus it's always more fun to turn-over and reveal a card then it is to tap your phone's finger-smudged screen instead.

Plus, with cards, you don't need to constantly grab and wake your phone and then swipe the unlock screen each time you want to do something. Much less hassle to simply draw a card.

But I'm over 50, so that may explain my perspective!

Also, setup time is a minor issue in the grand scheme of life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Nope. I love the look and tactile nature of the cards. Plus it's always more fun to turn-over and reveal a card then it is to tap your phone's finger-smudged screen instead.

Plus, with cards, you don't need to constantly grab and wake your phone and then swipe the unlock screen each time you want to do something. Much less hassle to simply draw a card.

Then don't let your phone go to sleep. You can turn that off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favor of apps for any game. As long as it enhances the gameplay. I want most games to have an app eventually. I play solo quite a bit as well, so having an app that can play with or against me would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRubexCube wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Then don't let your phone go to sleep. You can turn that off.

Too much of a hassle to change that setting just to play one game and then set it back again... I hate hassle and spend most of my waking life making processes more efficient so only to avoid as much hassle as possible! I'd need to buy a phone dedicated to playing only app-enabled board games so that I can permanently leave that phone on the "stay awake" setting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRubexCube wrote:
I'm in favor of apps for any game. As long as it enhances the gameplay. I want most games to have an app eventually. I play solo quite a bit as well, so having an app that can play with or against me would be awesome.

YES. Opponent AIs are right up there with additional scenarios for what I like most about companion apps. Clank! has a terrific app that you can play against and First Martians will have more content than just about any game I have thanks to the app. Other things like background music (Mansions of Madness 2ed is a great example) and rules references are nice too.

I love me some cardboard, but apps can really enhance the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having components and cards. Board games provide a tactile experience which is what i prefer over video games. However, when done correctly, an app can GREATLY enhance the experience. For example, Alchemists is an incredible game and the app doesnt take away from the experience at all.

Things i would like to see an app do are immersive stories. I really like the idea of choices and events carrying over to future scenarios. I dont know if i would bother making an app for an already existing game. Probably much better to put the effort into a whole new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
Olen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm against apps in any game (even though the timer-app in 5-Minute Dungeon is fun...while being unnecessary). The same goes for Robinson Crusoe.

I see the advantages of having an app, but it thematically doesn't make sense. You're stranded on an island, trying to survive. An app would derive from that as the presence of technology doesn't really make sense here. Whereas I can see it fitting into the theme of First Martians, being a tech-/space-themed game.

However, there are practical advantages for some people so an optional app...why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Towpowyeah wrote:
Well, I'm against apps in any game (even though the timer-app in 5-Minute Dungeon is fun...while being unnecessary). The same goes for Robinson Crusoe.

I see the advantages of having an app, but it thematically doesn't make sense. You're stranded on an island, trying to survive. An app would derive from that as the presence of technology doesn't really make sense here. Whereas I can see it fitting into the theme of First Martians, being a tech-/space-themed game.

However, there are practical advantages for some people so an optional app...why not?

Same for me. I play boardgames to put away any digital devices. If I want to use application I prefer fully digitalized boardgames or just classic video games. For that reasons I will probably stay away from First Martians
If the app is optional it's fine for me. There is a lot of people that don't mind application in board games so let them use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe in a thing called Death
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boo, hiss. No app! No app we say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Towpowyeah wrote:

Do you also turn your electric lights off too, while you play RC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play in the backyard when the moon is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.