Subject: M4 Sherman Ammo Storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of interest to all you Sherman Tankers

courtesy of http://www.lonesentry.com/blog/m4-sherman-tank-ammunition-st...

M4 Sherman Tank Ammunition Storage

Diagram of M4A2 Sherman tank ammunition storage from TM 9-731B: Medium Tank M4A2, War Department Technical Manual, Washington, January 13, 1943.
ARMAMENT

Figure 8A--Ammunition Stowage

AMMUNITION

STOWAGE POSITION
97 rounds 75 mm
     50% HE
     40% AP
     10% WP (smoke) 
15 rounds–Left sponson forward of water can rack.
17 rounds–Right sponson next to assistant driver.
15 rounds–Right sponson forward of engine compartment bulkhead.
30 rounds–On floor under turret basket to rear of escape door.
8 rounds–On turret “ready” rack floor.
12 rounds–In ready clips around turret basket step.

300 rounds caliber .50
     80% AP
     20% tracer 
150 rounds–In three 50-round boxes right sponson next to assistant driver.
150 rounds–In three 50-round boxes strapped to turret floor.

6750 rounds caliber .30
     80% AP
     20% tracer 
4500 rounds–In eighteen 250-round expendable boxes under turret basket to rear of driver.
1750 rounds–In seven 250-round expendable boxes, on turret floor under 75 mm gun.
230 rounds–One 250-round expendable box on “ready” rack of bow gun.
250 rounds–In one 250-round expendable box on “ready” rack of turret machine gun.

660 rounds caliber .45 
660 rounds–In twenty-two 30-round clips in submachine gun bracket above turret radio.

12 grenades, hand
     4 fragmentation M2.
     2 thermite, incendiary. 4 smoke.
     2 offensive M3 w/fuze, detonation, hand grenade, M6. 
4 fragmentation, 2 offensive and 2 smoke in box under 75 mm gunner’s seat.
2 smoke and 2 thermite in box, left side turret wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
This is great, thank you!

Welcome

I stumble across these things now & then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Michael.
I have another question concerning AMMO TABLES and how much we are allowed to carry. In section 16.21 of step 4.26 of the morning briefing we must consult the AMMO TABLE. What is a little puzzling is that in the AMMO TABLE it says we can carry UNLIMITED HE and AP AMMO for all guns. So why do we have to roll for the ammo quantity? I'm assuming we only roll for WP, HCBI and HVAP ammo.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
You may carry unlimited main gun ammo of any single round up to the maximum possible limit which is the amount described on the tank card plus 30 additional rounds (see note 2) of the Ammo Table.

Dan, there's no good reason to carry extra ammo in my opinion. When your tank is successfully hit and you are forced to roll on the Tank Explosion Table (pink card), you get an undesirable modifier of +1 for each additional 2 rounds carried above that specified by your tank card.

Here's the trade-off:
1) Carry more ammo (positive) less likely to need to stop and resupply for greater time savings but (negative) more likely to explode when hit.
2) Carry less ammo (negative) more likely to need to stop and resupply costing time and perhaps victory points but (positive) less likely to blow up when hit.

After having lost two tanks (one brewed up, the other 4 of the 5 were able to bail out), I begin each day hoping my dumb officers won't order us to carry extra ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danpancaldi wrote:
Thanks for this Michael.
I have another question concerning AMMO TABLES and how much we are allowed to carry. In section 16.21 of step 4.26 of the morning briefing we must consult the AMMO TABLE. What is a little puzzling is that in the AMMO TABLE it says we can carry UNLIMITED HE and AP AMMO for all guns. So why do we have to roll for the ammo quantity? I'm assuming we only roll for WP, HCBI and HVAP ammo.
Thanks.

Hi Dan

Ryan has it correct regarding the Ammo limits, you could effectively load 80 HE 17 AP , or 47 AP 30 WP 20 HE , those rounds are unlimited and you can mix and match up to you Tanks carrying capacity.( on your Tank card)

HCBI/HVAP rounds you roll for, try to accumulate HVAP rounds from day to day , use these for the Tigers and Panthers .

Rolling for extra ammo is just following orders, a lot of tankers hated anything extra that could kill them in a bad situation.
BUT it all depends on your game style, after losing tanks early on, I got into the habit of personally taking all the extra I could , maximum !
All HE and MG , and use it up in advancing fire , shoot everything as often as possible, shoot it !! blast it !! fill it full of holes !!
every inch of ground holds a German ready and wanting to kill your tank ..

Of course the downside is that extra +1 on brewing up
but lets face it, how many times have you lost a tank not carrying extra ammo without brewing up anyway ??? not many ..
To me, the advancing fire benefits out way the risk , just ask the guys who see a Panzerfaust pop up

Hope that helps

Traverse Right Fire !

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.