Judson Miller
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there! My son and I are searching for a new game. He is six years old and can essentially play Forbidden Island or Desert. We are looking for a coop game that is fun but not much more complicated than the Forbiddens. We have watched reviews and game play of Castle Panic. He is excited about that one because of the slaying of monsters. Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters also has a similar appeal (we will be doing our research on that tonight). I like that one a touch more than Castle Panic because you can ramp up the difficulty without expansions. Though as I write this I think I remember hearing that you can play Castle Panic at different difficulty levels. Finally, Pandemic: The Cure. I think he is excited about this game because he wants to play Pandemic (he watches us play Legacy quite often). I don't think he is ready for Pandemic, but this seems much easier. I haven't watched much of this played, though our local game shop has a loaner copy we are going to hit up this weekend.

Does anyone like one of these WAY more than the others, and if so why? Secondly, perhaps we are missing something. Is there another game that should be thrown in the hat? I ruled out Flash Point: Fire Rescue because my boy is a bit anxious and that one seemed a bit too immersive. He and I both like games with strong theming.

Thanks so much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the games mentioned except for GFTH.

I think Flashpoint: Fire Rescue is actually the best of the bunch.

Castle Panic is fun and perhaps the simplest.

Although I'm in the minority on this one, Pandemic: the Cure really didn't do it for me. It's certainly a fun game, but I found Flashpoint to be more fun with less work. Flashpoint also felt more immersive to me.

PS: it's not a coop, but Dungeon is a great game for kids that age. All about killing monsters and collecting treasure. And it's not confrontational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judson Miller
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Flashpoint looks super fun and thematic. Unfortunately it looks a little TOO realistic for my nervous Nelly. I can completely imagine him getting super anxious about the fire spreading to victims etc. Of the other three do you like Castle Panic the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 7 and loves Castle Panic! We play it pretty often. That and Pandemic: The Cure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
If it's just the two of you and slaying monsters is of interest you might check out One Deck Dungeon. Might be too complicated, though.

Castle Panic is about as simple as you can get, maybe too simple. If you're playing straight co-op mode it can feel like there are hardly any choices it's so obvious what to do. This is helped a lot by the Wizard's Tower expansion, but that does increase the complexity quite a bit. All that said, if you're playing with a six-year-old the base game might be perfect and there are some variants in the rules to make it harder later.

I agree that losing victims in Flash Point may be overwhelming. Especially if it's the cat or dog. (not kidding)

For a different vibe you might check out Escape: The Curse of the Temple... you'd need to temper the real-time aspect but it's definitely a strongly themed co-op.

Haven't played the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
I have all of the games mentioned except for GFTH.

I think Flashpoint: Fire Rescue is actually the best of the bunch.

Castle Panic is fun and perhaps the simplest.

Although I'm in the minority on this one, Pandemic: the Cure really didn't do it for me. It's certainly a fun game, but I found Flashpoint to be more fun with less work. Flashpoint also felt more immersive to me.

PS: it's not a coop, but Dungeon is a great game for kids that age. All about killing monsters and collecting treasure. And it's not confrontational.

I agree with this.. but Flash Point might be a little too intense too.. Castle Panic is probably the best fit for his age group.

Its not a co-op, and it might be a little advanced, but King of Tokyo might work for you both. You might have to help him with the rules a little bit, but IMO its a much better game Castle Panic. If you don't want the head to head, versus conflict, I think you could figure a way to play it where the monsters are battling each other and you're just rolling the dice for them, rather than identifying as closely with them as your avatars (if that makes sense). I realize its a little more work, but its also a much better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pirates' Gold Was always a hit when my boys were younger

Diamant

Shadows over Camelot Very easy to learn/play

Hive

Memoir '44 Again very very easy to learn/play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben card
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ghost fightin is pretty cool. my son is only 5 but he likes the cool minis. its not super hard, but has a fun flow to it. can be annoying when the dice are mean tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nyquist
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
You might want to check out Deep Sea Adventure. It comes in a very small box and is very easy to play. I think it would be considered a semi co-op game because you are diving for treasure for your points but have to rely on your opponents for a shared air supply to get back to a submarine. Its fast and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Castle Panic out of these three and I really like it. I have the Wizard's Tower expansion which adds a lot and isn't too expensive. I do enjoy the game on its own and you could easily increase or decrease the difficulty. It's my wife's favourite game to play with me - just the base game, no expansions (she is always the master slayer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.