Emad Aziz
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Fantasy Flight baited us with Battles of Westeros and then the lights went out! And now we have this game, will this game fulfill what Battles of Westeros should have been?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 4 of the houses available initially and releases every month it very well may be what BoW should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
king seamus
msg tools
mb
Yeah I agree...what galled me the most with BoW was the scale of the pieces , I'm a warmer and I could n't really use the miniatures for other games as the scale was out of whack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parzival Graal-Ritter
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a tabletop gamer, I'm quite happy with BoW as board game alternative to dragging out all 28mm figs, terrain, board etc.

I get my Westerosi fix in an enjoyable game.

I'm curious what people think BoW could have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emad Aziz
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
For me, being in Canada, the price point was a major factor. Then there were Houses missing like Greyjoys and Targaryens. Finally it seemed FFG didn't do much support behind this game as they've done with STAR WAR X Wing or Warhammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Amacker

New Orleans
Louisiana
msg tools
Yeah, this is kind of galling. I just literally purchased a complete collection of BoW from someone on eBay because I saw it was largely a two player game (my wife and I mostly play with just the two of us, because of chaotic scheduling issues). I'm unsure whether to dump BoW because this new system will be supported longer or just keep it and wait, or what. But, I'm not really happy about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dilettantegamer wrote:
As a tabletop gamer, I'm quite happy with BoW as board game alternative to dragging out all 28mm figs, terrain, board etc.

I get my Westerosi fix in an enjoyable game.

I'm curious what people think BoW could have been.

Does BOW have all the houses represented? I thought about getting it but my wife would want to play Targarians and I didn't see that as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
dead_cowboy wrote:
Yeah, this is kind of galling. I just literally purchased a complete collection of BoW from someone on eBay because I saw it was largely a two player game (my wife and I mostly play with just the two of us, because of chaotic scheduling issues). I'm unsure whether to dump BoW because this new system will be supported longer or just keep it and wait, or what. But, I'm not really happy about this.

With the new game being around/at least a year away you might as well play what you got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dead_cowboy wrote:

We don't know if CMON will really support the game. They showed a slide with a retailer timeline, but we don't have any history of CMON supporting a wargame miniatures line. Wrath of Kings was their only miniatures wargame, and it's no longer supported, afaik. Other than, say, Zombicide, most of CMON's games have been "pump and dump". That's fine if you want all whatever number of expansions at once, not so good if you expect companies to continually release product for certain games. You still may enjoy BoW regardless of FFG's continuation of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
dead_cowboy wrote:

We don't know if CMON will really support the game. They showed a slide with a retailer timeline, but we don't have any history of CMON supporting a wargame miniatures line. Wrath of Kings was their only miniatures wargame, and it's no longer supported, afaik. Other than, say, Zombicide, most of CMON's games have been "pump and dump". That's fine if you want all whatever number of expansions at once, not so good if you expect companies to continually release product for certain games. You still may enjoy BoW regardless of FFG's continuation of it.

Is this the part where I say, you know nothing Sam&Max Snow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like, I repost that vid on Dakka and ask if anyone still plays it.

Last post on Dakka was back in February: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1470/546163...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah I barely even used my collection of BoW. I'm so disappointed. I don't need two Ice and Fire miniature systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
It's more like, I repost that vid on Dakka and ask if anyone still plays it.

Last post on Dakka was back in February: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1470/546163...

You're also forgetting Dark Age. Not that I know of anyone that plays it. But CMON does already have 2 miniature games that they support. They obviously sell well enough that they have monthly releases so they can't be that unpopular.

So it's not really fair to say that CMON doesn't have any miniature games they still support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got it why miniature games have almost always lifecycle similar to CCGs. Why nobody wants to get into a game where there are only basic units and few factions, to me a system, once reasonably expanded and balanced, doesn't have a 'valid until' date. This is especially true for skirmishes, but for example Terminator Genisys, while by most accounts a flop, is great and quite finished from the start, despite being plagued by chronic unavailability of those few special units that actually were made. Similarly, if Prodos got its shit together with rules, their existing AvP models plus collectible toys would be all I need for a lifetime of battles.

Likewise, if only CMoN releases a good ruleset and army lists for most factions including all characters one could wish for, once they do those special characters and few specialized units like the watch, the others or direwolves, any medival miniatures will supply you for as long as you wish. International tournaments would be tricky without manufacturer's support, but I can't see what's stopping a local co,munity in any country from doing their own nationals. It's not like actual monetary rewards are driving the participants.

I get the 'living' feeling of LCG's, but I think that a miniature game should hold it's own when freezed at any point in time. And, with the Song, it's not like the releases would be story driven, with the history already layed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Amacker

New Orleans
Louisiana
msg tools
Yes, the wife and I talked it over and realized that, fundamentally, BoW is still a two-player game. We are still only two people. FFG may not support it, but it will still work as a game.

Let me explain. My impulse for a few of the big KS-launched games over the past couple of years (namely AvP and Conan) has been to order every last bloody piece of plastic they offered. With AvP that can be made to work (co-op of Preds and Marines vs. Aliens) and Conan can be GM vs. player, but that would be a waste with this Ice and Fire game, unless we just settle on the Starks and Lannisters and ignore the rest. We don't have the time to get involved in a local gaming group that could bring their own houses to a group, so I'm not purchasing the entire Seven Kingdoms just to satisfy my impulses as a collector. So, I'll take a look at what a two-player game has to offer, but I'm not going to throw my life savings at the campaign like I did for a couple of others. I'm still waiting on a couple of other Kickstarters to finish shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
With 4 of the houses available initially and releases every month it very well may be what BoW should have been.

Wait what are the other two houses? are there starter boxes for them too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the KS will only have House Stark and House Lannister (just like BoW did). Other houses will be future releases (just like BoW).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:

so is this guy incorrect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aca Janja
Serbia
flag msg tools
mb
No, from what I understand there will be an additional starter box with two new houses (we dont know which ones) in the summer of 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deacis wrote:
Is this the part where I say, you know nothing Sam&Max Snow?

Late reply, but I should have looked closer into Wrath of Kings and Dark Ages before posting, and they're both *skirmish* games, which means they should cost less than "rank and file" games, like Song and Runewars will be. Not that all things are equal, but "rank and file" games require more miniatures per side, and thus are a more expensive investment, although RuneWars and CMON miniatures are on the inexpensive side. (And, if you're looking for an inexpensive skirmish game, look at Frostgrave and Song of Blades and Heroes, which allow you to use your own miniatures, rather than using proprietary ones.) As for Wrath, since I posted, the Dakka thread has had *no* posts since April, and May's Wrath release has been delayed, no release date forthcoming. The Wrath FB page has had no posts since the end of May.

AFAICT, Dark Ages is a line of metal miniatures, which means it costs less for CMON to support it. (The starter set is plastic.) CMON's Dark Age page has models released for July, so CMON's definitely supporting it. DA has an active thread on the Dakka forums (?).

So... anyone who wants to know if CMON or FFG will support their plastic "rank and file" miniature wargames doesn't have a good answer. Just another risk, I suppose.

http://wrathofkings.com/ks/

Comments by WoK customers:

FB: "When will you guys at cmon update your wrath of king site? When will you release more expansions? Why are you not giving more support to this great game."
https://www.facebook.com/wrathofkings

EDIT: Thread on Dakka about WoK:
"Just wish CMON would get back into supporting the game. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case - there was apparently nothing at Gencon WoK related. "
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/736807.page

EDIT: Thread on CMON's website:
"Looking at my Magic 8-Ball... the answer comes up as "doubtful". Looking over the past year and a half... there were very little new releases, other than the items from the kickstarter that were teased. At Origins and GenCon in 2016, there were numerous tournaments, learn to plays, and presence in the sales booth. This year? nothing. In fact, the May releases weren't released until GenCon in August. with the new release of A Song of Ice and Fire via Kickstarter, I would hazard a guess that ASoIF will be the focus for the next year or more."
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?65706-Is-...

EDIT: "It's been around several years already, but their distribution woes have really hobbled it. I'm extremely lucky in that one of the FLGS near me carries WoK and has a huge selection. They used to carry Dark Age as well but clearanced off all their stock before CMON revamped most of the models." : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/740046.page

EDIT: "I'm more worried at the fact that those Wrath of Kings prices are so stinking low. Doesn't bode well for the future of the game much, yearly sale or not."

"The game's future was already bleak. The last wave of releases never made it to most retailers, except maybe MM, and the FLGS has almost as many immovable boxes of WoK as they do KoW elves."
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/150/744912....

EDIT: "CMON's biggest problem in getting WoK and Dark Age out to more people and growing both games is apparently...CMON."
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/740046.pa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.