7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cannot decide (thematic game for 2+ players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I am looking for a deep and long thematic game that plays well with only 2 players, but allows up to 3 or 4 players. The game should create a immersive story and have some player interaction (but not a must). I already own Robinson Crusoe, which absolutely fits the criteria.

I picked some possible candidates:

- Runebound 3rd Edition (elegant rules, but looks too solitaire to me and a bit dry?)
- Merchants & Marauders (awesome theme, but seems to have too many rules)
- Terraforming Mars (does it create a narrative? the theme is interesting)
- Dungeon Petz (again - super theme. but the rulebook...ugh)
- Star Wars: Rebellion (maybe too long, also not a fan of wargames)

I am not looking for two player only games. It´s just sometimes we plan for a gaming evening and suddenly we are only two people. whistle

Are there other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely love Merchants & Marauders. True that the rules are a bit heavy but, as with most games, once you get them down it's not bad. I think the most difficult thing for me to grasp were the rules concerning ship battles.

For a similar feel (only in space) and something just as immersive but with slightly simpler rules (at least IMO) look into Firefly: The Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Runebound is definitely long but I wouldn't call it deep nor is it particularly interactive. You are exploring the map and fighting but I found it very long for what it is. If you don't mind co-operative, Eldritch Horror does it much better.

Dungeon Petz is long and deep. The interaction comes from blocking each other which is pretty significant. The rules are fiddly - you may need to keep them beside you for the first few games.

I haven't played the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested with Dungeon Petz (the rulebook is cute, imho), I'd suggest some worker placement games with intense theme:

Alchemists
Argent: The Consortium
Steampunk Rally

Also maybe Mechs vs. Minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thematic Euro favourites are:

Dungeon Petz
Hawaii
Kanban: Driver's Edition
Viticulture Essential Edition
Shipyard
Forge War

I played Terraforming Mars once and I can see it telling a story, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for alchemists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Just to bump this thread a bit

Now it's between Dungeon Petz and Merchants & Marauders, because I decided to go with theme and both apply to me the most. I know that both games are fairly complex and have a lot of rules. We only meet occasionally for a big game night event and we can handle games like Robinson Crusoe and Eclipse quite well. Which one is better suited for a not so quite competitive (we prefer games that provide fun regardless who is winning) group that likes thematic and atmospheric games. And which one is easier to teach & play (and has rules that are easily remembered during a session)?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.