Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inspiration, of course, would be "Holmes", the BBC series. However, the designers wouldn't be forced to pay for rights (if they don't actually use the shows' plots, and Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's likenesses).

"Holmes" proved how a modern day "Consulting Detective" could be phenomenal - and for sure I would buy it, if done properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
mbmb
I'd be curious, but frankly I'd simply prefer to have a steady supply of new cases for the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silva
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very interested! I am planning on writing two cases myself, together with my SHCD partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Strongly prefer Victorian England to a modern setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I prefer a period setting for this game.

For a modern setting the writing would have to be spot on. Small plot inconsistencies or ambiguities can sometimes be explained away as 'possibly things were different in Victorian London' whereas in a modern setting they may be far more noticeable and jarring.

Also - a modern setting may have some trouble with modern IT or it could lose some realism. e.g. why don't we check web/phone records and CCTV?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
mbmb
"Also - a modern setting may have some trouble with modern IT or it could lose some realism. e.g. why don't we check web/phone records and CCTV?"

Excellent point and something that would have to taken into account. It seems like there would be even more possibilities/threads to follow or ways to the answer, making things potentially more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Or making things essentially Detective: A Modern Crime Boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:

Also - a modern setting may have some trouble with modern IT or it could lose some realism. e.g. why don't we check web/phone records and CCTV?

I thought about this, and the best answer could be an App (something which is becoming more and more common these days).

You want to check the calls made by a suspect? (or anything else which leaves an "electronic trail") Enter the Case Number and the relevant entry # in the App, look at the data and count it as a "move".

For CCTVs it could be more complex, since it would involve filming (very costly). However a workaround could be that if your deductive work "nails" the right camera(s), then you are just shown the most relevant frame - the time needed to find it being abstracted.

tl;dr I do love "Holmes" (the sanity shattering "The Hound of Baskerville" being my favorite episode so far). I would really like to tackle modern day cases too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

I thought about this, and the best answer could be an App (something which is becoming more and more common these days).

You want to check the calls made by a suspect? (or anything else which leaves an "electronic trail") Enter the Case Number and the relevant entry # in the App, look at the data and count it as a "move".

For CCTVs it could be more complex, since it would involve filming (very costly). However a workaround could be that if your deductive work "nails" the right camera(s), then you are just shown the most relevant frame - the time needed to find it being abstracted.

tl;dr I do love "Holmes" (the sanity shattering "The Hound of Baskerville" being my favorite episode so far). I would really like to tackle modern day cases too.

I'd been thinking of mentioning ARGs - Augmented Reality Games (which I'd recently mentioned in another thread). These are games that mix reality and websites/resources created specifically for the game. The players won't always know what is really real and what has been designed just for the game.

Several years ago, In Memoriam was the 1st one I played - involving tracking a killer who was taunting the police. It involved codes & puzzles that necessitated researching things like greek islands and the religious buildings of Istanbul (iirc).

A more recent (and ongoing) take is The Black Watchmen - which uses a game-created archive where entering the correct reference number will pull up the related clues/intel - documents, images, video, audio clips etc...

IMO A modern Holmes seems more suited to moving towards an ARG than the format of the original SH:CD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer the original stories and setting over BBC's modernization of Sherlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
Give me Victorian England any day, but then i am bias as i am English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think early imperial/late republican Rome or Pericles's (and Socrates's) Athens are closer to Holmes's personality and professional approach. In contemporary times I would prefer a contemporary character with a universe of his/her own, such as Hercule Poirot, Commissaire Maigret, Columbo, or the detectives from Psych. Of course, names would have to be altered to protect the copyrights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I Strongly prefer Victorian England to a modern setting.

Important to me is that the setting provides many more constraints than a modern one would. London is smaller, with a limited number of skilled individuals and artisans, or thieves and nefarious gangs. In the period theme, you could pursue someone based on the tobacco they smoked. Now? Thieves and murderers could use methods and technologies that would be to magical in the other frame. The investigation would fundamentally be different to cope with these new angles and it wouldn't be Sherlock.

Similar constrained themes that might evoke a similar battle of wits:

- In the Name of the Rose would be interesting basis.
- Players acting as slaves, recruited to keep the "Pax Romana" in regional settlements in the Roman Empire.
- "Arabian Nights" Persia (the storytelling context, not the stories). Players report to a fickle Shahrayar but secretly tell the results of the investigation to Scheherazade for her to weave into her stories. The time limit becomes important!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watry
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
The original SHCD game is more of a paper and pencil type game since it was designed prior to the advent of the public WWW internet access where information is easy to get for both game players and characters within the game. So moving the theme to a more modern era would have to drastically change the way the game is played.

For instance instead of running around London to find clues from characters from a Directory, it would have to have something like Text Messages on cell/mobile phones, video surveillance, and CSI type clues. And possibly internet site searches. I supposed it could be adapted to that, but it might lose the charm and the intent of the original game. Not that it wouldn't be a ripping fun game to play. But it also might be very hard to come up with new game play mechanics.

So I think my opinion would be no, it wouldn't work as well with a modern Sherlock in the way SHCD is played. But if someone was clever enough to come up with something I think it could work in a different format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.