Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news if the game will be reprinted soon?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be available again in late May early June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jacobson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game will be this Summer (https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/308), not sure about Climate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PersistentVariant wrote:
The base game will be this Summer (https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/308), not sure about Climate

Thanks of the info.

My brother wants to give the game to his fiancée, who is a biologist.

I saw that the second edition of the base game still can be found in some retailers.

The questions is:
- Is it better to:
a) buy the actual version of the base game;
b) buy the actual version of the base game with the Climate conversion kit;
c) wait for a reprint of the base game (not Climate) with the different components and texts on cards;
d) wait for a reprint of the Climate base game.

Is the flight expansion a must have?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game of evolution is the 'simple' version of the game (if you don't count beginnings which I don't). Climate just adds more options and gives you more 'control' over the flow of the game. I personally prefer Climate over Base + Flight, but all are good for their own reasons.

Also Flight + Climate don't mix in a balanced manner unless you leave out all the flight cards so I'd view this as an either/or. Depends on when you need the gift by as for which one I'd pick up. If time isn't an issue I would personally wait for Climate. You get a bigger hand size and can mess with the climate some which can mess up your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
The base game of evolution is the 'simple' version of the game (if you don't count beginnings which I don't). Climate just adds more options and gives you more 'control' over the flow of the game. I personally prefer Climate over Base + Flight, but all are good for their own reasons.

Also Flight + Climate don't mix in a balanced manner unless you leave out all the flight cards so I'd view this as an either/or. Depends on when you need the gift by as for which one I'd pick up. If time isn't an issue I would personally wait for Climate. You get a bigger hand size and can mess with the climate some which can mess up your opponents.

Thanks Chris,

I have a planned flight to the US this April. It would be a great time to buy the game, but I think Climate won't be available by then... I don't know when he wants to give the present. Probably he'll have to stay.

Is there any other biology strategy game that could be bought in this US trip while we wait for the Climate arrival?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your budget/time, but all are enjoyable. Start him off with Evolution and if they dig it pick up the conversion kit later to get Climate as time allows. Evolution + Climate Conversion kit is identical in every way to Evolution Climate.

There is a ton of text so I hope the fiancée can read english as all editions are heavily text dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
fargow wrote:
PersistentVariant wrote:

Thanks of the info.

I saw that the second edition of the base game still can be found in some retailers.

The questions is:
- Is it better to:
c) wait for a reprint of the base game (not Climate) with the different components and texts on cards;

Thanks!

The improvements to the text on the cards is minimal. Our goal was to systematize the format and create keywords which enable players to figure out the interactions between different cards without going to the reference section in the rules. The old trait text was probably easier to understand for casual gamers, but it was not possible to figure out the interactions between cards without going to the rules. The new trait text uses keywords. Both version are fantastically playable, so I wouldn't get too caught up on the differences. The game play is exactly the same.

Here is a unboxing video for the new Evolution that will be released at a lower price point. That might help you decide which version you prefer:

https://www.facebook.com/northstargames/videos/1015441002473...

This new lower priced Evolution has no bearing on CLIMATE. CLIMATE will continue to have the expensive food bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
fargow wrote:
PersistentVariant wrote:

Thanks of the info.

The questions is:
- Is it better to:

Thanks!

The improvements to the text on the cards is minimal. Our goal was to systematize the format and create keywords which enable players to figure out the interactions between different cards without going to the reference section in the rules. The old trait text was probably easier to understand for casual gamers, but it was not possible to figure out the interactions between cards without going to the rules. The new trait text uses keywords. Both version are fantastically playable, so I wouldn't get too caught up on the differences. The game play is exactly the same.

Here is a unboxing video for the new Evolution that will be released at a lower price point. That might help you decide which version you prefer:

https://www.facebook.com/northstargames/videos/1015441002473...

This new lower priced Evolution has no bearing on CLIMATE. CLIMATE will continue to have the expensive food bags.

Thanks Dominic for the answer.

So, this new edition will be available on June. The conversion kit can be used with it? The one we still see on the stores?

Any reprint on Climate in your mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the CLIMATE conversion kit is what you need to convert Evolution into CLIMATE. Any version of Evolution! Yes, any. Any, any, any, any, ANY. Yes, 1st edition. Yes, 2nd edition. Yes, print run #42. ANY.

The differences between print runs has been greatly exaggerated here on the BGG. I doubt 99.9% of people who own the game would realize it if I secretly changed their cards to a different print run version.

We've already reprinted CLIMATE. I forget when they arrive in our warehouse but they should hit stores around the same time as the less expensively priced Evolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Yes, the CLIMATE conversion kit is what you need to convert Evolution into CLIMATE. Any version of Evolution! Yes, any. Any, any, any, any, ANY. Yes, 1st edition. Yes, 2nd edition. Yes, print run #42. ANY.

The differences between print runs has been greatly exaggerated here on the BGG. I doubt 99.9% of people who own the game would realize it if I secretly changed their cards to a different print run version.

We've already reprinted CLIMATE. I forget when they arrive in our warehouse but they should hit stores around the same time as the less expensively priced Evolution.

Thanks again. Last question (I'm a journalist, that could explain the amount of doubts): what should be the retail prices of the lowered prices evolution and climate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price of CLIMATE it not changing: $60
The price of the new Evolution print run will be $40.

The price structure of the Evolution product line used to be:

$60: CLIMATE
$55: Evolution
$25: The Beginning

It was weird to have Evolution and CLIMATE priced so close, so we worked on ways to bring the price down. The new price structure will soon be:

$60: CLIMATE
$40: Evolution
$25: The Beginning
$7: Digital Evolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
.....will soon be:
Digital Evolution

Bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Evolution and Evolution: Climate are masterpieces. Everything I want in a family gaming experience... and I rate both games a 10.

The base game deserves just as high a rating as Climate because I view one as just a variation of the other. The base game reminds me of Tigris and Euphrates in depth in that I know it can support hundreds of plays and there will be something different each time. Dominic has written a lot about the subtleties required to beat the really great players, and that kind of stuff just stokes the fire.

I’ll gladly play either version anytime, but I guess my point is that I don't view the base game as inferior in any way. I'll re-evaluate when I get in hundreds of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
United States
Paramus
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Germarish wrote:
domcrap wrote:
.....will soon be:
Digital Evolution

Bring it on!
So this is Digital Evolution and not Digital Evolution CLIMATE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader123 wrote:
So this is Digital Evolution and not Digital Evolution CLIMATE?

Yes, digital Evolution - Not CLIMATE. We do not yet have concrete plans for a digital CLIMATE IAP but it's definitely under consideration. We're staying focused on one project at a time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Yes, digital Evolution - Not CLIMATE. We do not yet have concrete plans for a digital CLIMATE IAP but it's definitely under consideration. We're staying focused on one project at a time!

Pardon my ignorance, but CLIMATE IAP? What is the IAP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. In App Purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Sorry. In App Purchase.
Ahhhh! Got it! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Beginning, too
I agree with everything written above (Rex’s post in particular), but I just wanted to chime in to say folks, don’t underrate and underestimate The Beginning! It’s an equally superb iteration of the Evolution Game System.

Obviously it’s a scaled-down and streamlined version, as per the designer’s intention; but it’s in no way watered-down. It’s a legit Evolution experience. It’s simplified (a good thing), not simplistic (a bad thing). Though in part conceived as a stepping-stone introduction, and a successful one at that, to its older brothers, The Beginning is absolutely a game that Evolution vets can respect and dig in its own right.

And Rex is right to call both Evolution and Climate masterpieces. I’m careful not to throw around words like “masterwork,” but both have earned the distinction. Climate in particular, given its epic (and topical) scope. You start with one single 1/1 species, but by game’s end Climate has swept you through an epoch-spanning narrative. Awesome, in both senses of the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas Kekoni
Finland
flag msg tools
Print to play
Evolution 10 $
Evolution: Climate 15 $
Evolution: Flight 5 $ (upgrade)

Evolution -> Climate upgrade (??) $.

Evolution: begining NOT AVAILABLE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minorweaver wrote:
I agree with everything written above (Rex’s post in particular), but I just wanted to chime in to say folks, don’t underrate and underestimate The Beginning! It’s an equally superb iteration of the Evolution Game System.

Obviously it’s a scaled-down and streamlined version, as per the designer’s intention; but it’s in no way watered-down. It’s a legit Evolution experience. It’s simplified (a good thing), not simplistic (a bad thing). Though in part conceived as a stepping-stone introduction, and a successful one at that, to its older brothers, The Beginning is absolutely a game that Evolution vets can respect and dig in its own right.

Agreed! I got my daughter (then 9) The Beginning at Christmas; she loves it and prodded me to trade for Evolution and Flight in January. We haven't decided whether to get the CLIMATE conversion kit or the standalone once it's out again: I know we'll get one or the other soon. But all of the three variations we've played are incredibly fun, and we enjoy the different options. (Sad truth: she introduced The Beginning to friends at a game night, but is now unwilling to bring it out to play with people outside the family. It's too precious to her! A little awkward for me, since the friends have been asking to play it again....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colls wrote:
(Sad truth: she introduced The Beginning to friends at a game night, but is now unwilling to bring it out to play with people outside the family. It's too precious to her! A little awkward for me, since the friends have been asking to play it again....)

Send me a geekmail. I'll send your daughter a free copy of The Beginning. Her friends deserve to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grateful email sent, along with her idea for a version/expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colls wrote:
Grateful email sent, along with her idea for a version/expansion!

Just responded to your geekmail, and in the process noticed that you live a few minutes from our office! Would love to have you guys over for a playtest session sometime. We test games every Friday at 2pm.

Cheers!
Dom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.