Subject: Chronomancer Class - WIP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Working on creating classes for Gloomhaven. First one I'm going to start with is the Chronomancer. So far I've got about 10 abilities done, and I'll be doing some balancing/play testing in the next coming weeks. I have alotta work to do still, but I think this will be well worth it. Here is a rough copy of one of the abilities I've done up.

The rest are currently on mini cards with my bad hand writing, I'll keep this updated on my progress.

Someone was interested in my GIMP file I used for this card so here it is for anyone interested. Kind of a mess in there so I apologize in advance.

This is the project folder for all my digital work, feel free to playtest and provide feedback! So far just lvl 1 abilities.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0ehT5GfQE28cUNEaU9S...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That card is pretty brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cooley
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that card and cursed out loud. Very interesting! I'd love to see the rest and hear about the balancing and play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the middle of playtesting my first character creation, would happily playtest yours if you'll playtest mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dexter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I am super interested in this as well! That first card really emphasizes the idea of the deck! How many cards do you see him going into a battle with? And will you be including personal quests to unlock them?
Would be awesome to have something I can throw into my own campaign after me and my group unlock all the classes that come with the game! I'll be happy to contribute to play testing them, though it wouldn't include any of the later scenarios for me. Group only gets together once every few weeks, and I don't like spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
At first glance, that top ability seems broken with Spellweaver. But I guess it really depends how the rest of the class is designed.

Either way, very flashy and cool effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
At first glance, that top ability seems broken with Spellweaver.

Spellweaver's "recover" cards have the "can't be recovered" icon, so I don't see how its broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Candi wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Spellweaver's "recover" cards have the "can't be recovered" icon, so I don't see how its broken.

I'd forgotten that, so it's not broken at all then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fritz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Candi wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

To be consistent with other "recover lost card(s)" cards, it should maybe have the "remove from scenario" icon. But that's something that may come out in testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, ideas like this are really not that great, because they depart too much from the base design of the game, but this card is awesome. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Bottom half reminds me of Ekko's Ult from LoL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dexter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SecretSauce wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
Candi wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

To be consistent with other "recover lost card(s)" cards, it should maybe have the "remove from scenario" icon. But that's something that may come out in testing.

The way it stands now, I think this one is okay to come back, because it works like a standard trade. Lose this card to bring back 1 lost card. I haven't retired any character, so I haven't seen any other classes yet, but I would say that it should be okay to remain lost in scenario. But yeah, play testing should answer that in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that bottom ability is a really clever way to evoke time manipulation. I always enjoy time travel themed things, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
sefer wrote:
Man, that bottom ability is a really clever way to evoke time manipulation. I always enjoy time travel themed things, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Time Travel is a theme that really is something that I love in general. I hope to have some more in the upcoming week, time permitting.

EternalFury wrote:
Usually, ideas like this are really not that great, because they depart too much from the base design of the game, but this card is awesome. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Bottom half reminds me of Ekko's Ult from LoL

I agree totally. The trap I think most people fall into is trying to do too much outside of the framework you're given. So with that in mind, can you create an ability that thematically fits with in this frame work, isn't overpowered but still feels unique? Yeah, I'm no expert to this by any means, but this calls to me and I think I really want to see it through.
And about Ekko, not saying this didn't cross my mind but... my Tinkerer is named Heimerdinger.

alphasquid wrote:
Candi wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

And it may be broken with something else, hence why I need to play test, balance, rinse and repeat

Viken Xetred wrote:
I am super interested in this as well! That first card really emphasizes the idea of the deck! How many cards do you see him going into a battle with? And will you be including personal quests to unlock them?
Would be awesome to have something I can throw into my own campaign after me and my group unlock all the classes that come with the game! I'll be happy to contribute to play testing them, though it wouldn't include any of the later scenarios for me. Group only gets together once every few weeks, and I don't like spoilers

Thanks man! I figure 10 might be the magic number (subject to change). Yes, if I get this class to fruition I'd like it to be like any other class, special class scenarios, personal quests etc etc. Now I could make scenarios, but it definitely isn't a strong suit of mine. So after all is done, I'll prob ask for help on that front. Sure once I get things a little more fleshed out I'd love nothing more to have people test this and send feedback!

blunder1983 wrote:
I'm in the middle of playtesting my first character creation, would happily playtest yours if you'll playtest mine

I'd be more than happy to help out, and yeah I can hit you up when I get things a little more fleshed out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let me know when you're ready for playtesters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
alphasquid wrote:
Let me know when you're ready for playtesters.

Totally will do.

Also, Here's my portable play testing mat for the lvl 1 cards I am working on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work so far. Am interested to see what other cards are in the arsenal
Nit picking for a second , check the spelling on the bottom ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Darkangeldown wrote:
Nice work so far. Am interested to see what other cards are in the arsenal
Nit picking for a second , check the spelling on the bottom ability

Thanks! Yeah can't say my spelling has ever been the best lol.

Edit- omg purposes... SMH lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Australia
Sunshine Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your new class (or will it be a completely new race?) is excellent. The paradox works beautifully also. Once you've tested out everything PM Isaac; who knows, he might want to include the Chronomancer in his upcoming Gloomhaven expansion KS. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temporal paradox looks like a very cool ability.

What happens if a flying monster is on the obstacle hex when you snap back to it? Or is that what you mean by treating it as an ally hex? I feel like the class should come with a custom overlay tile to represent the paradox site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Yexil wrote:
I think your new class (or will it be a completely new race?) is excellent. The paradox works beautifully also. Once you've tested out everything PM Isaac; who knows, he might want to include the Chronomancer in his upcoming Gloomhaven expansion KS. whistle

I had thought about this a little, and thought maybe a Quatryl. I just cant decide if his abilities are purely mystical and magical, or a mix of magical and machine. I think going with the later opens me up for more ideas for abilities, and thats going to be rough seeing as I need to think of 16 more.

MrTroy wrote:
Temporal paradox looks like a very cool ability.

What happens if a flying monster is on the obstacle hex when you snap back to it? Or is that what you mean by treating it as an ally hex? I feel like the class should come with a custom overlay tile to represent the paradox site

This one was tricky. At first I just basically said, mark your current hex and move there afterwards. The problem being exactly what you described, what if someone is there or an obstacle gets placed there? So the second version had something along the lines of..

Move back to marked hex, if someone is there push them to an adjacent hex, then place your character there

.. Issue there being well what if there is no where to push them? Long story short, It was getting way too wordy and way to complicated. So treating this obstacle as an ally for movement purposes solved alot of problems in one line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
hachieman2000 wrote:

This one was tricky. At first I just basically said, mark your current hex and move there afterwards. The problem being exactly what you described, what if someone is there or an obstacle gets placed there? So the second version had something along the lines of..

Move back to marked hex, if someone is there push them to an adjacent hex, then place your character there

.. Issue there being well what if there is no where to push them? Long story short, It was getting way too wordy and way to complicated. So treating this obstacle as an ally for movement purposes solved alot of problems in one line.

How about this?

Make it a summon, let's call it a Time Remnant because I've been watching the Flash.

Give it Move: - and Attack: -.
give it Invisibility.
Give it an effect like: Discard from your active area to move to the Time Remnant's hex.

So the remnant gets banished, you're back in your spot, and nobody went there because it's got an invis thing in it.

Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mournful wrote:
hachieman2000 wrote:

How about this?

Make it a summon, let's call it a Time Remnant because I've been watching the Flash.

Give it Move: - and Attack: -.
give it Invisibility.
Give it an effect like: Discard from your active area to move to the Time Remnant's hex.

So the remnant gets banished, you're back in your spot, and nobody went there because it's got an invis thing in it.

Just an idea.

Love The Flash. I might toy around with that, if anything that could make for another cool ability idea!

Dynalange129 wrote:
That card is pretty brilliant.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franloop franloop
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool ideas!

Here are others:

Name of the card : Phasing foresight

- A card with an action for the player to look at the top cards of his attack modifier deck and the possibility to rearrange and/or discard one of them.

- The bottom action could be a swap position action with an enemy or an ally at a specify range.

For exemple :

Top : Look at the top 3 cards of your attack modifier deck, discard one and put back the rest in any order.

Bottom : Exchange your position with an enemy - Range 5

(sry for my poor english)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
franloop wrote:
Cool ideas!

Here are others:

Name of the card : Phasing foresight

- A card with an action for the player to look at the top cards of his attack modifier deck and the possibility to rearrange and/or discard one of them.

- The bottom action could be a swap position action with an enemy or an ally at a specify range.

For exemple :

Top : Look at the top 3 cards of your attack modifier deck, discard one and put back the rest in any order.

Bottom : Exchange your position with an enemy - Range 5

(sry for my poor english)

No need my English is poor as well. Man yeah I dig that concept alot, let me play around with it. I might pm you later with what I come up with, and definitely credit you for the idea and name!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ok so the biggest issue I seem to have at the moment is trying to find elements that really fit with the theme of this class. So what if I added in its own custom element that is only there when the Chronomancer is in the party? Thoughts, concerns, is it too much and complicated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.