The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Black riders, failed hide test sequence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stacy .
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, please answer this question:
I failed hide check and a nazgul attacked me, my hero took the damage, can I strike back in return to drive the nazgul into discard pile? Or I have to wait till combat phase to suffer another attack and only then have the possibility to deal with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barring an effect like Quick Strike that lets you attack outside of the combat phase, you are going to wait until the combat phase. Which of course means that he is going to attack you again before you can attack back. So, basically, don't fail the hide test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OR have 3 feints in your hand and the Tactics resources to play themwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:

Feint is sadly a combat action, so can't prevent an attack outside the combat phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the black rider is already engaged with you, there are a few feint-like actions that can be played outside the combat phase to prevent attacks from an engaged enemy:

Thicket of Spears
Out of Sight
The Wizard's Voice (affects only one enemy)

Hide tests open an action window after the test threat is revealed, so these are all playable at that time if you can afford them (and can play from three different heroes for Thicket of Spears). If the Hide Test failure causes an engagement of Black Riders, you could also use the Coney in a Trap response to prevent an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy .
msg tools
mbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Barring an effect like Quick Strike that lets you attack outside of the combat phase, you are going to wait until the combat phase. Which of course means that he is going to attack you again before you can attack back. So, basically, don't fail the hide test.

Thanks.
I play solo and single handed, so with that amount of allies I usually have the "mushroom shortcut" quest makes hide checks nearly impossible.

Am I right that even revealed hide cards may have no threat value on them, my allies DO still count towards hide test threat result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacy99 wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

Thanks.
I play solo and single handed, so with that amount of allies I usually have the "mushroom shortcut" quest makes hide checks nearly impossible.

Am I right that even revealed hide cards may have no threat value on them, my allies DO still count towards hide test threat result?

Right, allies still count against you for stage 2B even if no threat is revealed by the hide test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
Dren608 wrote:

Feint is sadly a combat action, so can't prevent an attack outside the combat phase.

I thought that when enemies attack due to encounter card effects it creates a sub-phase inserted into the phase you're resolving, consisting of

Dealing shadow cards,
player actions,
declaring defenders,
revealing shadow cards,
player actions,
and dealing damage.

Of course it isn't a full combat phase, but at least the bad parts of it. And this gives you an opening to legally drop feint.

I don't have a source to cite at my fingertips and I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
titusm wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
Dren608 wrote:

I thought that when enemies attack due to encounter card effects it creates a sub-phase inserted into the phase you're resolving, consisting of

Dealing shadow cards,
player actions,
declaring defenders,
revealing shadow cards,
player actions,
and dealing damage.

Of course it isn't a full combat phase, but at least the bad parts of it. And this gives you an opening to legally drop feint.

I don't have a source to cite at my fingertips and I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

You have the sequence correct, it's just that it's not a "combat sub-phase", it's an attack happening outside the combat phase. It's still the phase of the round it was already in. So if you suffer an immediate attack during staging, you have open action windows during the attack that you could use to play cards that say "Action:" or "Quest Action:", but not "Combat Action:" -- that card can be played only in the combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale is correct that you couldn't take combat actions because it isn't the combat phase. Also, by the time an attack has initiated it is too late to prevent it via effects like feint. So even if feint wasn't a combat action, you couldn't use it (unless the Nazgul was already engaged with you and you preemptively used it before staging).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that when an attack happens outside the combat phase, you may not have an action window until the attack has already started, in which case it is too late to cancel the attack outright. In this particular case, the hide test itself opens an action window after threat is revealed, so a card like "Thicket of Spears" could be played before the hide test is failed, triggering the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the replies guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.