Subject: Friendly Alien Letstrade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else feel like this character is extremely underpowered? Am I missing something here? Has anyone thought of any interesting strategies with her?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I honestly can't figure her out either. The best I can say is that people are rewarded for giving you friendship cards so you should abuse that and try to milk them? A "If you give me a friendship card I'll include it in my deck next phase and you'll get 5 bonus RP when we clash" sort of thing.

Her deckbuilding power is basically just 7 free VP, which isn't bad but also is totally static. Also you're giving 7 VP away, so hope you choose the right players and don't accidentally do the exchange with the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ideally you would be splitting them up as much as possible, but even in 4p you are technically only netting 4 vp above what you are giving to another player (whoever gets your 3 vp card).

She honestly seems borderline unplayably bad..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Rekarm wrote:
Well ideally you would be splitting them up as much as possible, but even in 4p you are technically only netting 4 vp above what you are giving to another player (whoever gets your 3 vp card).

She honestly seems borderline unplayably bad..
The way I see it I play to win -- in which case as long as I don't use the ability on people who end up scoring above me then it's all gain. I have no problem helping out last place -- I just want to get first!

But yeah, I don't really get her. A 6* 25RP clash isn't bad, but it's just not enough. Not large enough to have a real chance of winning the clash except in the first tournament, and not enough of a RP bonus to really justify doing it. A lack of any sort of synergy with almost anything is the real clincher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty depressed to see she turned out like this. I was so excited for a character who focused on friendship cards, but the VP gain, especially after trading, is practically nothing and their use on the field is pretty pointless feeling. I get the idea of helping last place to put yourself in first, but the impact just isn't big enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just spit-balling some ideas for tweaks in case she's a bit under-powered...

What about adding a ability or two to her sides?

Tournament: Ongoing: Your face-up friendship card singles have Score: Gain 10 RP for every VP this card is worth.

Deck-building: At the end of the game, gain 1 VP for every friendship card belonging to another player you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PMAvers wrote:
Just spit-balling some ideas for tweaks in case she's a bit under-powered...

What about adding a ability or two to her sides?

Tournament: Ongoing: Your face-up friendship card singles have Score: Gain 10 RP for every VP this card is worth.

Deck-building: At the end of the game, gain 1 VP for every friendship card belonging to another player you own.

I like the extra VP for other players having her friendship cards idea. Alternatively, she could just get a bonus to VP if she has none of her own Friendship cards left at the end of the game. Although once people know she's down to her last one, they could avoid taking one, or they could Deck Note her during the final tournament if the Shonen Leap set is in play.

Another idea might be adding +1 VP to all friendship cards she has from other players. I've only played one game where she was in it, so I'm not sure what the right spot would be for giving her additional VP.

Or, once per deckbuilding phase, she may include 1 friendship card she has from another player in a collection, counting it as any type, any element, and any star value.

And here's my personal favorite... I call it "no hard feelings":

Tournament Power: Your cards cannot be flipped by other players' card effects. All other character cards have Action: Give Lettstrade one of your character's friendship cards. If you do, you may ignore her Tournament Power for the rest of the tournament.

The best part about it is how thematic it is. Nobody wants to flip her cards because she's so nice! But if they have to, they can. Plus it's sort of self balancing. Not everyone builds a flip deck, so not everyone will need to do it. And even if everyone else builds a flip deck, if only one person takes that action, it might be enough to disrupt lettstrade's deck. I'm trying that power out next time I play :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the tweaks from benstylus, very thematic.

That said, even though I don't have played with her yet, I think her deckbuilding power could be used in more ways than one. The main goal of friendship cards is to balance/sweeten a deal between 2 players. What if Letstrade tempered with the leading player's stock of friendship cards?
If used for VP only, she can make sure to exchange her friendship cards with the last player. She can also make actual deals with players outside of trades, like "please don't flip my card and I'll exchange a friendship card with you :3"

Maybe that would be fun and effective to play like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
These do sound like good updates. We're considering updating Lettstrade, as well as a few other cards, with Collusion later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.