Subject: Mission 10 question - slight spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can't damage the Boss until all of the crystals are destroyed but can you deactivate the Rune shields before you have destroyed all of the crystals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Little
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the mission in front of me, but my understanding is that the rune coins are used to track activation of both rune gates and the boss shields in this mission. When all of the crystals are destroyed the boss can immediately take damage. Some of his shields may already be down because you would need to be tracking rune gate opening/closing with the rune tokens already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco van Barneveld
Netherlands
EDE GLD
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From mission booklet
Quote:
EPIC BOSS FIGHT!
SHIELDS WITHIN SHIELDS
In his Final Form, the Boss has activated its Trusty Tristy Tribulator Shield,making it completely invincible!
To disable this super-shield, your team must destroy all four Crystal Shards by attacking them or stomping them.
Once the super-shield is disabled, you must still deactivate its Rune Shields by stepping on Rune Spaces of the same color.
Just like past Boss encounters, damaging the Boss with an attack or moving through a Rune Gate turns the Rune Shield of the matching color back on!

So no deactivating shields before all crystals are broken.

good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The statement is ambiguous and could support both interpretations. We are going to need official confirmation on this one to know the correct method.

I'd go with you being able to disable them while the Super Shield is active, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our interpretation was that the line should have read:

"Once the super-shield is disabled, rune shields are treated normally. They will go up if the boss takes damage from the appriate color and be deactivated by stepping on rune spaces of the same color."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through Mission 10 yesterday evening and in the course of playing it decided you must be able to deactivate the Runeshields prior to all of the crystals being destroyed as you need to be able to deactivate the Runeshields to be able to pass through the Runegates that are on the board.

As the Runeshields are linked to both the Runegates and the Boss' shields and there is no way to record separate states for each I suspect the intention was to not have to wait to be able to deactivate them although the rule could be read either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually could do this mission playing it without being able to take down the Rune Gates. You can still move through an activated gate by using the correct element to move through it. You could also be dragged to the Boss or be lucky enough to cross the Lava Pools to get to the crystals.

So it is possible to do the mission the harder way, but I still doubt that's the intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this yesterday as well. We played that you could deactivate them. The boss still can't take damage until all four crystals are destroyed but at least a few of the shields may already be down when that happens. We used the same logic about needing to open rune gates. Of course remember that they close again when passing through them. We still lost but managed to get 9 hits on the boss. So close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey all, I think our intent with the super-shield was to make it so that you must disable it by destroying those shards before you can interact with the Boss's rune shields at all - this is how we playtested it internally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catzpaw wrote:
Hey all, I think our intent with the super-shield was to make it so that you must disable it by destroying those shards before you can interact with the Boss's rune shields at all - this is how we playtested it internally.

So can you deactivate Runegates before the crystals are destroyed? If so, you need to track the which Runegates are down, so at the point that the crystals are destroyed do you immediately reactivate the shields?

Or, is it not possible to disable the shields, and therefore not possible to pass through Runegates (except via matching movt colours), until after the crystals are destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I just revisited this mission with the rest of the team. It turns out my initial inclination was not correct - we did, indeed keep track of what runes were active/inactive even when the super-shield was still active. This makes the rune shield/gate rules consistent with other missions, and I believe this is the way to go for simplicity's sake as well.

So more succinctly: The rune shields and gates behave normally (and may be activated/deactivated normally), however while the Boss's super-shield is up he cannot be damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archie Baker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. The rules say that when all mechs are standing on a Repair Pad at the end of the Players Phase, you may remove one boss command card. So, the Boss mech is the mech, right? Can I remove a card if 3 player mechs and the Boss are standing on a Rpair Pad? Or it must be all players mechs only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goraizon wrote:
Hello. The rules say that when all mechs are standing on a Repair Pad at the end of the Players Phase, you may remove one boss command card. So, the Boss mech is the mech, right? Can I remove a card if 3 player mechs and the Boss are standing on a Rpair Pad? Or it must be all players mechs only?

The Boss Mech is not a Mech for the purposes of rules in general, including that one. You ignore if the Boss is on a Repair Pad or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goraizon wrote:

Holy Kades! I absolutely missed that rule. That would have made the mission so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archie Baker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
goraizon wrote:

Holy Kades! I absolutely missed that rule. That would have made the mission so much easier.

Really?! This is the mission we're currently working on and it seems to me to be nearly impossible to get all four mechs on repair pads at the end of a turn. I think such an amazing feat should warrant a much greater prize, like maybe removing all command cards from one color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

Really?! This is the mission we're currently working on and it seems to me to be nearly impossible to get all four mechs on repair pads at the end of a turn. I think such an amazing feat should warrant a much greater prize, like maybe removing all command cards from one color.

I agree if you play MvM with four mechs. But it's a lot easier to pull off with three, and laughably easy for two mechs. My first two playthroughs of MvM were with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.